Apple DVI to Video Adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by what?, Jun 30, 2006.

1. what? macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    Hi, i've had an apple dvi to video adaptor for about 5 months. I've got a power mac g5 dual 1.8 with an ATI 9600 128mb ram graphics card.

The dvi adapter has never worked properly with my mac. when i connect it the way the instructions say, for some reason my mac recognizes it as a vga monitor, and only gives me incompatable refresh rates, i.e. 56hz, 60 hz 100hz.

After loads of messing around i found an app called switch res. with this i managed to make a 800x600 50hz interlaced profile. but this still didn't work. UNTIL i rotated my monitor in the display pref pane. and then BANG it came on. So i rotated it back and it worked. everytime. It also gave me extra options in the display pref pane, like 'best for tv' and 'overscan'.

UNTIL, i updated my mac with 10.4.6. the i had the same problem again. it wouldn't recognize it as a tv. So i spent another 8 hours fiddling with setting and then remembered the rotate thing and tried it again and wham again it worked.

UNTIL i updated to 10.4.7. and i've tried all the tricks i know, but i can't get it to work. all i get it scrolling lines on the tv where it's outputting the wrong refresh rate. and it also doesn't give me the extra settings like 'overscan'.

I've rung apple support which i was extremely dissappointed in, and i'm not holding out ANY hope that they'll help.

So it's up to someone out there.

Please, anything will help!!!!!!!!!

2. what? thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2006
    also, when i start up, my g5 detects the tv, albeit as a vga monitor, but when i click on detect displays it disappears and all i get is the main monitor.