apple ear phones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Jan 15, 2004.

1. niter macrumors 6502

I need to get a pair of small earphones to take around with my iBook. Since I would like to get an iPod one day, though I do not see it happening soon, I figured why not get iPod earphones.

Also, the in the ear ones intrique me, but I am not sure how Apple's compare to others (price/quality wise).

Does anybody have a pair?

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: apple ear phones

iPod comes with earphone anyhow ...

as far as quality ... maybe it's my bias toward apple products, but i love my apple headphone, mine are the ones that were on the iPod pre macword ... but i can't imaging these headphones being worse.

i strongly beleive in trying stuff out, go to an reseller and see if they have pair and listen to them, go to another store and try a different pair -- if you ask nicely they'll open the box for you and let you try them out

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    apple ones are okay...but i dont use em, why cuz if ureally want ur tunes to be pumpin and feel the sound you gotta get really good headphones, B&O, senheiisers are the way to go

4. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

But now your talking about over ear headphone.

i Have a high quality, (and high price) pair like that that i use when i'm editing at night, or i don't want others hearing what i'm working on.

but i don't care to wear those when i'm walking down the street

:)

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-niter

I've wondered this in the past myself, and after performing much research, was actually surprised to learn that in the Standard Earbud class of earphone, the Apple iPod earbuds are one of the best.

I tend to agree - especially with the foamys on the buds.

6. thetman macrumors member

i wanna hear the new inear earbuds they are coming out iwth

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Buds are fine, but I am blessed with TINY earholes. So I got a set of noise-cancelling headphones. I'll never use anything else now. Taking a airplane flight is now absent of any flight noise. I can actually sleep quite peacefully listening to some tunes.

8. breakdown macrumors newbie

Personally, I don't like the fit and sound of the iPod headphones, I feel the bass is a bit cold and flat.

Upon doing research at boards full of audiophiles, I found out that a lot of them really like a couple of discontinued low-end Koss headphones, which are still being sold through their website. They have a lifetime replacement guarantee, so they still manufacture them (or at least I think that's why they still sell them). Of course those audiophiles also have the expensive nice ones, but for the average price range they like the Koss ones for casual use.

I decided to give them a try and I'm pleased. I chose the clip-on KSC-35 model. They're actually pretty comfy.

Someday I hope to be able to get really expensive in-ear phones, but I'd still be using the KSCs for stuff like jogging or whatever.

By all means, test out a pair of the Apple ones. There are some people who really like them, but make sure to listen to a few other pairs to compare, sometimes you don't really realize what you're missing until you hear better on something else. :) Also, those new in-ear Apple ones might be nice too, you might want to wait for new buyers to try them out and give feedback.

--
    edited to add: and if you're really on planning on getting an iPod, I'd really recommend getting something else for now, that way you won't have two of the same headphones. I find sometimes it's fun to switch headphones every few weeks or so just to get a different sound every now and again.

9. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention that I already have a really good over the ear earphones (well really good to me), but I need a small pair to take to the library, work, etc.

What I am looking for is an in the ear set. It seems like the price for the ear buds are more expensive than the in the new kind. Last time I bought ear buds, they were $4. I am pretty easy going, but I like how the white ones match my computer. I guess what I am really asking are the new earphones worth the $35? If not, are the ear buds (if I can snag a pair on eBay for cheap) worth it too? I just do not want to spend a bit more for just white earphones.

Thanks!

10. DIGITAL macrumors newbie

In my brothers studio he has these Bose noisecanceling headphones(exact same used at MWSF) and they sound awesome. But for earphones i just use the normal earphones that my ipod came with.

11. medhed macrumors newbie

Apple's bundled iPod EarBuds are just "OK"

I agree with a couple of my friends that the bundled iPod headphones are standard, or OK for sound....terrible for comfort!
    Always either hurt my ears after extended use or kept falling out, especially while you're trying to goto sleep while listening to your favorite tunes.

So, I asked the same question and found, like most things, you gotta try thing out and decide for yourself.

I didn't want to spend over $50, although the Shure earbuds are tempting for round $80 if you can catch them on sale. ;)

So, after many, many earbuds here is what I found out and decided best fits me:

1st under $20 I really liked were these Sony Fontopia® MDR-E828LP Ear-Bud Headphones at my local Best Buy; on-stock for around $10.

They have a 12 - 22000 Hz range,
    108 dB/mW sensitivity,
    a 16 mm driver,
    and can handle 50 mW.
    [​IMG]
    They sound slight BETTER than those shipping with the iPod and are WAY more comfortable for ONLY $10!

Still not happy with comfort and sound, i just got these Sony Fontopia® Headphones MDR-EX51LP and sold my older Sony ear buds to a friend along with my 20GB 2g iPod. They can also be picked up from Best Buy for $40.

They have a 6-23000 Hz range,
    100 dB/mW sensitivity,
    a 9 mm driver,
    and can handle 100mW.

Plus an in-ear canal design (no, they don't go "in your ear", they go deep down INTO your ear CANAL, like a Q-Tip) for increased bass responce, out-side noise isolation and more comfortable snug design. (A word of advice for some: If you dis-like or think ear-plugs are uncomfortable, then you WILL NOT like these ear buds).
    [​IMG]
    These are the best earbuds for me that I have found so far that fit my budget of under $50.

But be warned: I can now hear the hi-end sizzle on my AACs rips with these new buds and am now in the process of re-encoding to a higher bitrate...sometimes higher quality just doesn't pay off. :D

Hope this helps. And NO, I do not work for Sony, are am I really a fan of Sony gear. ...but don't know, these are awesome earbuds for the price.

12. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I too have a pair of the Sony Fontopia "canalphones" (apparently the term for earbuds that go into the ear canal), which are great for me--that's not your question though.

I found the regular Apple earbuds to be very good, especially if you--like me--had never before spent more than $15 on a pair of headphones. Not everyone can afford audiophile quality stuff like Bang & Olafson or Sennheiser! I've listened to music almost exclusively on earbuds for the last few years, and with the Apple ones I heard bits and nuances of songs that I'd never heard before, figured out lyrics I'd never been able to quite hear before, etc.

I can't imagine that the Apple canalphones would sound any worse, though it's how they fit that'll make or break them. And whether you have them inserted properly, which makes a huge difference for this type of earbud. I second the people who've suggested going to a store and trying them out.

13. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Re: Apple's bundled iPod EarBuds are just "OK"

Medhead, what bitrate did you use originally? What type of music? I ripped my collection at 192 and I am noticing there are a few songs that could use a higher sampling rate.

I also recently purchased "It's My Life" by No Doubt from iTMS... yuk! 128 bit is not enough. Hopefully Apple will respond to the new Real store and start offering 192 or 256.

14. gemio17 macrumors regular

I just found and ordered The Plug earphones from Koss-I've heard good things about them-found them on Target's site for 13.49!!

Attached Files:

15. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I too would like to know how good these new apple eadphones are? I find the regular iPod headphones dont fit my ears very well at all, but I still use them as I like the white look with the iPod. So these new ones could be just the solution.

I used to have a pair of the sony inear earphones, for use with my MD player, they were pretty good, although the bass was maybe a little too heavy, even for me. I kept losing the rubber buds everywhere though, luckily I kept finding them until I lost one snowboarding. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Apple ones will fall off as easily?

16. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

This is more of a style thing for me then anything else

... the white headphones are a status symbol

they say - "i spent way to much money on an MP3 player, and i'm proud of it"

LOL

17. qurlau macrumors newbie

Sennheiser's are excellent for their size

I've tried several different in-ear headphones, and I am most pleased with the sound quality of the Sennheiser MX-500. They seem to have a deeper sound than those included with the iPod (3G), as well as a few Sony models that I tried. They also have a volume control on the wire.

Unfortunately, the MX-500 is hard to find. I found a pair in Prague last spring, but I think you may be able to find them online.

Good luck!

18. cohenpeart macrumors newbie

The in-ear Apple ear buds sound fantastic ... but they jiggle loose even when I'm walking. They're perfect for riding on the bus, but I almost have to switch to the regular iPod ear buds if I'm gonna be walking/running/whatever.

And you can hardly hear anything that's going on around you if you have the in-ear buds in -- well, that should be obvious. So they're not ideal for me when I'm in the office. But, like I said, the sound is great. As long as you're willing to cram them all the way up your ear canal (which is a bit scary at first), you'll get very good bass response.

On an A through F scale, I'd give 'em a B. The sound gets an A, but I don't like that I can't use them in all situations.

19. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

anybody want to try pro headphones? i mean, the shure in-ear monitors; models E1, E2 and E5. there just are no other in-ears with such an accuracy as these ones... (hearsafe comes close, but there's still a difference)

the E5 has most bass and the E1 clearly is designed for vocalists, but the E2 (which is the cheapest of those) is designed to be a neutral-sounding full-range earpiece for the rest of the band.

i myself have a few pairs of E1:s for me and other singers in my band, and the band recently bought E2:s for everyone. everyone just loves how they sound.

E5:s i don't own, since those cost 700 euros.

anyone?

20. stronzo macrumors newbie

from personal experience, i'd have to recommend the etymotic research ER-4P phones. easy to drive, extremely detailed sound, and 23dB of noise isolation. so yummy.

http://www.etymotic.com/

21. legion macrumors 6502a

E1 are now discontinued and replaced with the E3.

22. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

In-Ear Canal Earphones

I have a couple questions on them. First off, are the new iPod in-ear earphones into the canal? How's the comfort?

Secondly, I want to compare them to Sony's Fontopia ear buds, relatively the same price. Any preferences? I see someone likes the Sony MDR-EX51LP, and can get them at Best Buy for $40. I'm just wondering what's the main difference between that and the $50 MDR-EX71L which I've heard people rave about? And compared to the iPod's new in-ear earphones?

Thanks.

-OA

23. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Etymonic are good, but I recommend teh ER-6. Great reviews, I lvoe them, and I know several on this site also recommend. Best available in-the-ear headphones.

24. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Re: In-Ear Canal Earphones

Yup, the new in-ear iPod headphones do go into the ear canal; I haven't tried them though (due to the risks of advertising iPod usage on inner-city public transportation).

I'll bet that if you picked up both boxes and compared technical specifications, that's where the difference may lie. I've also read somewhere that there's a version of the Sony in-ear Fontopias that has a much shorter cord for use with remotes like Apple's, and I think I've seen the EX71L used to refer to that.