Apple Earbuds 2.0 Defective?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TantalizedMind, Mar 7, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey everyone.

I bought my Orange Shuffle the day they came available on the Apple Store. I love it soo much. Except yesterday at work I noticed all of a sudden that the "buds' speakers" sounded like they were from an antique jewelry music box. The sound quality "ain't that great" anymore.

I bought the Shuffle through Apple.com; but can I bring it to an Apple Store and have them test the "buds" and then replace them at the store?

Thanks everyone.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I'm sure you can. It's usually pretty easy to get earbud replacements.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I just read somewhere too that Apple actually has a free headphone replacement program. :) But yes, if they are defective, then Apple shouldn't have that hard of a time giving you one pair of headphones.

4. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

yea hardware failure is covered under applecare.

5. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I've brought a defective bud to the apple store in the past. Claimed it was buzzing and they gave me a new pair without hesitation. They seem to have boxes of em in the back for that kind of thing.

Should be no hassle :p

6. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Sorry to bump an older thread.. but these pair seem to be dying too. It just stinks that every couple of months these Earbuds 2.0 will need to be replaced.

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That does stink. Probably just a fluke though, I haven't heard anything about widespread failures or problems with the new headphones.

8. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I wish the headphones were better quality. I've had 10 pairs replaced; 6 older ones and 4 newer ones. :p

9. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The buds are very cheap and prone to all sorts of problems, especially if you overdrive them. Get a nice set of buds or a headset, set it and forget it.

10. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Just because I'm bored and I feel like nitpicking :p, they would actually be "Apple Earbuds 3.0" since I remember a slightly different headphone design when the first iPod came out. I'm not exactly sure when they changed to "2.0", though. :apple:

And I did that one time with my headphones, it was all crackly in one ear so I took them to the Apple Store and the first guy I talked to exchanged them for new ones, no questions asked.

11. kingpause macrumors newbie

Those pack-ins are pants anyway. I second springing for a decent pair. The Sony MDRs, for example, are not too expensive and (I think) they sound fine.

12. Mugetsu macrumors newbie

you shouldn't cheap out on the earbuds. you definitely need to get the $500 earbuds from Shure.

just think about how much of your life is spent with your ipod. you should make the most of it.

13. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I have found that the rubber disintegrates fairly quickly on the new Apple earbuds. And I'm *pretty* sure I don't have acid in my ears. Anyway currently I have gone back to my previous gen ones which are still going strong.