Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alana22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
I don't get why so many people choose to use these things. The sound quality is so so bad, the volume is too hushed and they always feel like they're about to fall out. What good is using 256k/320kbps mp3s if you're just going to listen to them through earbuds that strip the music of its true depth. The headphone aspect is the main area where Apple has obviously chosen form over function.

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
I don't get why so many people choose to use these things. The sound quality is so so bad, the volume is too hushed and they always feel like they're about to fall out. What good is using 256k/320kbps mp3s if you're just going to listen to them through earbuds that strip the music of its true depth. The headphone aspect is the main area where Apple has obviously chosen form over function.

Part 1: Apple knows nobody who cares about sound quality will use their headphones. Why make them good?

Part 2: Let's face it: Half the people who wear the ****** headphones are doing so as a "look at me, I have an iPod", and the other half are too daft to know the difference between ****** headphones and good ones.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
agreed

the 3g headphones werent that bad, they were the best I had seen come with a product... they are professional grade headphones, but they werent horrible. Infact, while I was traveling/living in tibet I broke my ipod headphones and had to deal with teh chinese knockoffs for a whole year. I would have paid 50 bucks for a pair of ipod headphones at that point. All the headphones in the local electronics market sucked butt..

Thanks,
Arisian

Apple earbuds are crappy but the best earbuds I have used that have come with the product.

K Wal

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I first thought my iPod Touch sounded like garbage until I used my Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones and it sounded just like my macbook (not a good refference but atleast to me it was comparing apples to apples)

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I don't think Apple cares. They know if we buy Apple products we can jolly well buy the earphones/headphones we want. I am still waiting to buy a pair of Bose headphones :)

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
they're good enough for me, because I don't feel like spending several hundred dollars on a great pair of headphones I know I will break.

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
they're good enough for me, because I don't feel like spending several hundred dollars on a great pair of headphones I know I will break.

Or you could spend $40 on a halfway decent pair of earbuds that suck way less than the Apple piles of tripe.

trevorlsciact

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Orlando FL
I'm not an audiophile, as long as it sounds fine to me I'll use them. Plus I like to match brands. Rebok shoes, Gap clothes, Apple electronics :eek:

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
I don't think Apple cares. They know if we buy Apple products we can jolly well buy the earphones/headphones we want. I am still waiting to buy a pair of Bose headphones :)

It's not that Apple doesn't care, it's just not economically feasible. If they included anything better, they'd drive the price of the product up.

Bose? The included headphones are probably better! Pick up some Sennheisers or Grados, don't waste your money on overpriced Bose crap.

rubeeen

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
It's not that Apple doesn't care, it's just not economically feasible. If they included anything better, they'd drive the price of the product up.

Bose? The included headphones are probably better! Pick up some Sennheisers or Grados, don't waste your money on overpriced Bose crap.

thanks for the tip. i thought it was all in my head but bose really arent that great at all lol.

ive been looking for a nice set to take on the plane with me cause i cant hear a damn thing with those crappy apple ones. i litterally have to push them into my ears, and hold them, to hear anything on a plane.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

I'll give them a try:)

ShanePod

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Canada
Everyone looks for something different in headphones...

I for example love a heavy bass when others may not.
Also, some people prefer headphones over earbuds so it all comes down to what you persenally like best. I for one am happy that apple ships iPods with the earbuds they do. If you aren't satisfied with them, then you can always choose from thousands of other pairs of headphones that'll suit your distinct taste in sound that you like best.

pushateg7

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I actually found myself wanting them again after going through a couple of different low end and high end pairs.

Don't really feel like their worth 30.00 in store, but I do like them. Use them daily at work, they'll do.

Maybe it's just the shape of my ears, but what gets me the most is the fit and comfort. I love the way they fit.

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
if they are so bad then why did you buy it? or better yet, why even post this question? how many cd/mp3/pvp players come with good earphones? all i've seen come with ok ones and if you decide that you think you can hear the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps then you can go pony up for whatever high priced cans you want.

earbuds are not form over function. it's a mobile product so it's easier to store and pack earbuds than headphones. their function is the lack of space it takes up in your pocket, backpack or what not.

to the guy wanting the Bose, read this http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
then decide if you want to buy them.

alana22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
if they are so bad then why did you buy it? or better yet, why even post this question?

I bought an iPod, and it came with the earbuds. I didn't purchase the earbuds seperately. I posted this question to see the opinions of others. It's generally what occurs on internet forums ;)

Anyway, nice to see most people agree. I think I will test out a pair of v-moda vibes or Sennheisers. Thanks!

Dijo John

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
I think Apple is leaving the market for earphones open and providing 3rd parties a better chance to sell their products.
The same thing could explain why they still leave the back of the iPods scratch-prone (so that cases and invisible shields sell more).

Maybe it's some understanding between Apple & the major accessory-providers.

Aesthetickz

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2013
The build quality and aesthetics of the Apple Earphones are good, the sound quality and comfort are CRAP. Apple makes quality products, but the earbuds just SUCK. I admit, the earbuds that come with most other products aren't any better or even worse, but come on.

I just can't get people that say 'they are fine to me' or 'i don't want to spend money on earbuds'. Like what the ****, you spend 100+ dollars on an iPod, but you don't want to spend money on the devices that make you actually HEAR the ****ing music?

You don't have to spend a lot of money on good earbuds.
- If low on budget: Get the Creative EP-630, about 30 bucks but they have the best price/quality for sound i've ever heard. They even come in white.
- If more budget: Sennheiser CX-300, I think you can get em for about 60 bucks, more clear sound then the EP-630.
- If even higher budget: Shure SE215, I currently own these, SUBLIME sound and they are not even THAT expensive about 100 bucks. Don't go any more expensive than this by the way, your iDevice will become a bottleneck in sound quality.

rjalda100

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
The build quality and aesthetics of the Apple Earphones are good, the sound quality and comfort are CRAP. Apple makes quality products, but the earbuds just SUCK. I admit, the earbuds that come with most other products aren't any better or even worse, but come on.

I just can't get people that say 'they are fine to me' or 'i don't want to spend money on earbuds'. Like what the ****, you spend 100+ dollars on an iPod, but you don't want to spend money on the devices that make you actually HEAR the ****ing music?

- If low on budget: Get the Creative EP-630, about 30 bucks but they have the best price/quality for sound i've ever heard. They even come in white.
- If more budget: Sennheiser CX-300, I think you can get em for about 60 bucks, more clear sound then the EP-630.
- If even higher budget: Shure SE215, I currently own these, SUBLIME sound and they are not even THAT expensive about 100 bucks. Don't go any more expensive than this by the way, your iDevice will become a bottleneck in sound quality.

attachment.php

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010

same for me. I use mine mostly for phone calls on my iPhone, they are decent enough.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012

Shure SE215 aren't very good although, admittedly, a lot better than stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.