Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Damn things keep falling out of my ear. Yes, the sound is much improved, but the minute I do a sudden movement or even try to adjust the volume on mic they fall out.

I will stick to the tried and tested Soundmagic E10's minus the mic. They stay in my ear...

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
awww that is sad! I don't have my phone yet but I was looking forward to these hoping they actually stayed in! Why can't apple just switch to the soft earbuds like most people? Actually, I am guessing these don't even fit the earbud adapters you could put on the old ones?

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Your ears are holding them wrong.

stevelaugh.jpg

Reactions: bruinsrme

Risco

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
awww that is sad! I don't have my phone yet but I was looking forward to these hoping they actually stayed in! Why can't apple just switch to the soft earbuds like most people? Actually, I am guessing these don't even fit the earbud adapters you could put on the old ones?

The main problem is the that they are shiny, so unless you have an ear that can cup it properly you are pretty screwed.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Same here.

It seems like Apple spent 3 years developing earphones that main goal is to escape my ears at every possible chance they get.

Same with the $80 in ear ones from a few years ago.
You could literally count the seconds as they started wiggling out of my ear canal.

They do sound awesome but have that horrible feeling that they are ready to jump out at any second.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
They're ok for when you're sitting still doing nothing. But for normal use, no. I still use my Beats Tour in ear buds on a daily basis.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Man, I havent even opened mine and probably never will. Like my shure in-ears too much.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
Yeah, you cant compare them to Shure's LOL. There is none. The Earpods are good for what they are. I can see myself using them for podcasts where I just need to hear someone talk. No issues with falling out of my ears. Music wont be touched with the Earpods though, my Soul's handle those better.

lurch0101

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
heard mixed reviews from people so decided not to even take out the earpods. going to keep them as backup or maybe ebay? sticking with my monoprice 8320

rbdyh

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Strange.... They are much better than the old headphones in my opinion...

They actually stay in my ears and the sound does seem better. Very happy with them.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
same here. They don't fit right. Sometimes they stay in but I'm so focused on it staying in my ear and when it'll fall off that I can't even focus on the damn music! :mad:

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I'm having the same problem. They sound significantly better than the old earbuds do but they just won't stay in. The EarPods actually sound good enough to be used as an everyday headphone (as opposed to the old ones that were garbage that never left the box) but when they won't stay in my ears, they're useless to me.

I really want to use the EarPods but I just can't. Are there any inexpensive foams or other 3rd party add-ons that I can use to keep these things in my ears? I'm hoping for some sort of accessory that will allow them to fit my ears, but will also allow them to fit in the carry case. Does such a thing exist?

kevbonice

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
definitely sound better, but the right one hurts my ear. I would like to think that my left and right ear are shaped the same but the left one doesn't bother me and the right one does...

leobard

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
here too. looking for a solution. some ideas

sound great.
but feel like they are going to fall out.

I tried the test of time and danced like in the old iPod ads - they stuck with my ears.

So the feeling of "they will drop out soon" is for me a phantom feeling. Nevertheless, what to do?

suggestions:
  • roughen up the surface so that they don't feel so slippery
  • spray with sprayglue (3m photoglue) that makes them ultrysticky
  • rubberize somehow
  • coating with latex?

In all cases, I guess as long as the openings remain open, the sound is fine.

I guess all the roughen/glue solutions will make them ugly as hell when the body fluids and other dusty stuff starts sticking, blackening them.
The rubber/latex approach may be interesting as it can be detached. Coating with latex is also a well known technique used for costumes and masks, so is probably doable for me.

feedback appreciated.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Sold them on this forum and use my beats tour in ear. You should shop around and find something that fits YOUR ear.

Anthony45654

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Canada
Apple should've covered the earbuds in a thin coat of rubber, similar to how there was a ring of rubber around the edge of the old earphones. That way, they wouldn't fall out as easily.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
These are the best earbuds I've ever owned. I don't have any issues with them falling out, though I can see that some people definitely will.

That said, the sound is just great. When I pick up other earbuds, like some sonys I had, it seems "better" means overwhelming booming bass. These are the first earbuds I've bought (I've never spent more than $40 and never will) that I can actually hear the nuance in a bassline, rather than just the annoying boom of a bass drum.

They're not for everyone, but damn do I like these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.