Apple Ed. discount varification?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Mar 15, 2002.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How does Apple confirm that you are a student? Some of my friends say Apple just takes yer word for it, but I find that hard to believe. Anyone know?

Lethal

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I got the discount

All you do is you find your school in a list on Apple site and you click agree to everything. Thats it... they never confermed it more than that.

The thing is... the discount is not that great. It Basicly takes care of Sales tax. You might want to find a web retailer that is out of state so you dont have to pay sales tax. Plus, they normaly toss in some free RAM or something like that. When I got my latest Mac, I went for the student discount and bought from Apple so I could BTO.

3. Classic macrumors regular

My fiance got checked.

My fiance actually got checked. She received an email saying she had a week to verify that she was a student. Not sure what would have happened if she hadn't responded....

Anyway, she had to fax them her student ID card.

Evildead, true the discounts for hardware aren't huge. But, if you prefer to purchase software (rather than steal it), the discounts can be quite large.

4. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Aside from the basic human decency of not lying, there are occasional audits. Apple took 3 months to get around to asking me for proof that I qualified for the educational discount. Simple matter of faxing them the relevant documents... took perhaps 5 minutes of my time. However, had I NOT been on the level, they had my credit card number, and every right in the world to charge me the difference if I were trying to cheat.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

FCP3

The discounts on software are really sweet, I purchased FCP 3 shortly after it come out, and the $300 price tag for education made it possible where $1000 would not.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: FCP3

Agreed. Remote Desktop (Unlimited) is $500 retail, but only $300 edu.
    Thank you, Apple!

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Apple randomly samples buyers of educational discounts to check and verifiy. I have had personal experience and verification from an apple rep.

8. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

When you ask "do they verify educational orders?" I have to imagine that you're at least considering using an educational discount you're not qualified for to buy an Apple for a reduced price. I know I sound all morally straight and **** when I say this, and that really does grate against my character, but, please don't do that. Educational discounts, even though they're slim, are still a nice gesture on Apple's part. They don't HAVE to offer them. And speaking as someone who IS qualified, I would be sad to see the discounts reduced or eliminated because of some people's dishonesty. I know it's more likely they'd just be more strict about obtaining verification instead, but still. I don't have a fax machine, and if I can type a paragraph denouncing fraud (because that's what it is) in less time than it takes me to run with my student ID to Kinko's, then that is time and effort saved for me and all the rest of us poor, underprivileged, starving, TiBook-owning college students.

Alex

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

They always just ask me to show my student ID card. They photocopy it sometimes...

10. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

the discounts that are actually somewhat significant you dont actually purchase yourself. you submit it to your school's purchasing agent. that keeps the cheaters from getting at the real goodies.

11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

If you're going to do an edu discount, spend $30 to take an interesting class at your local community college.

This way:
    You're not cheating Apple
    You'll get docs to fax back if needed
    You're saving money
    You just might learn something useful

I went and enrolled in an Illustrator class for no reason other than to get the edu discount, and I actually decided to go...for someone who lived in a pixel based world before, I now have a much better understanding of vector based art, Illustrator, and the paths to and from Flash & Photoshop.

Now, if only $30 would buy me the slightest bit of design skill....

12. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: My fiance got checked.

I didnt get checked... I guess from the other posters... its random. I am a student so ... they could have checked if they wanted to. As for Software discounts.... its a pit biased. At my university you can get MS Office 2000 for $13.00 and MS Office XP upgrade for $20.00. But MS 0ffice v.X for OS X is full price!!!! Im pissed off about that. True Sutudent priceing is great... but I think its just a way to hook a generation of computer users on a particular OS or App. That really sounds fishy that I cant get a break on the Mac Version of Office... it could even drive someone to stealing software!

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Re: My fiance got checked.

A student? Steal software? Never!

14. Classic macrumors regular

Re: Re: My fiance got checked.

Try this:

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/cart/main_cart.html?partadd=527916&time=1016493060&

While it's not quite $13, it's still better than $499. But I hear what you are saying. I think there are software companies (AutoCAD) that almost encourage students to pirate their software, just so that when they get out into the professional world, they demand their companies to pay for full licensed versions of the software.

15. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Office X

MS Office Mac is very un MS-like in copy protection regards. All you have to do is copy a folder off of a CD onto your hard drive. No files hidden deep in your system folder under names you'd never think of. And no serial number needed!! I know it sounds impossible, but my dad is a teacher, but I do all the computer stuff. Though the high school where he works, he gets a free copy of certain software. Ms Office X is one of them. When he gave it to me to install it, I asked for the serial number, and he said there was none. I was veeery sceptical at first, but there truly is none!! Has MS lost its marbles or something??? No wonder it was so easy for that guy to steal a copy from CompUSA!!

16. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I asked 'cause I was honestly curious. The hardware discount isn't enough to temp me to "try and get away with it" and I already own a legit copy the only Mac software I really want right now (FCP 3). I have some friends still in school who purchased thru the Ed. discount and I didn't believe them when they said Apple never followed up/asked for verification. So, I just wanted to post here and see if it was true or not. Apple seems to be a very trusting company, and it's not right to screw a trusting company. But a company that is a PITA w/over the top copy protection, *coughM$cough* is kinda fun to screw. ;)

Lethal

17. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Classic

Thanks for the link classic. Ill look into that... your right... its no $13.00 but hey.. its better than nothing. I think I will contact MS about that and see If I can get a resonce. I really dont like that I have to pay $200.00 for the Mac version (academic price) and I could only pay $20 for Office XP for Windows. It just does not seem right. I mean, if a Company does not want to give Sudents a break thats fine... but I just dont see how MS can give only Windows user students a break like that!!

18. nicely macrumors member

what up wit dat?

My school (The Univ. of NC - Chapel Hill) offers both Office XP and Office X for the Mac at the same price...$15

I don't know what's going on at your school.

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

heres a guess about that 15$ price tag. i know that berkeley owns site liciences to most commonly used apps and operatng systems. if you are a student of faculty member you can just go and download them.

maybe these $15 apps are apps that your school purchased a site licience for and so all you are paying for is the cd and packaging and what not.

if your school hasnt purchased site liciences for some of the apps then you get the normal discount.

just a guess based on prices here at CAL.

20. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

your probably right

Your probably right about the site licenses. The thing is... I think my school has one. We have several mac labs and many professors have Mac's on their desks. Mybe its just a matter of time before they start offering it. at the lower price. When I asked the guy in the book store about it .. he said that "its a spechal promotion from MS"

I hope they start selling it for $20 like XP...