Apple Edu discount – what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by assscat, Aug 3, 2005.

1. assscat macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Yesterday I ordered a stock iBook with 80GB HD and 4G iPod mini from the UK Edu Store over the phone. I had previously priced the stuff on the internet Edu store and this was the breakdown: iPod=£128.08 (inc VAT) and iBook=£722.86 (inc VAT) giving a total of £850.94.

On the phone the nice man gave me the following breakdown: iPod=£109.00 (excl VAT) and iBook=£575.72 (excl VAT), giving a total of £804.55 (inc VAT), subenquently confirmed by the emailed invoice.

That's a saving of about £45!

Why the discrepancy? I only originally phoned the Apple Store to check eligibility for the Student Union offer. I didn't want to ask the sales rep incase he realised he had made a mistake. So what's the deal? Is the online Apple Edu Store more expensive?
  2. fieldsofanfield macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2005
    Well I know they have 3 edu stores:
    The Apple store for education (online or phone)
    The Apple store for further education (phone only)
    The Apple store for higher education (can only be accessed from a university network)

I only have experience of the first one, but I should imagine the prices differ a little. Which did you ring?
  3. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    I rang the 'regular' edu store 0800 number.

I remember the rep saying I qualified for the higher edu discount, but I didn't realise that there were different rates! Is this widely known?
  4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I didn't know about, maybe I can save even more when I order my PM!
  5. fieldsofanfield macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2005
    I'm not sure how widely known it is. My guess is not very. Just out of interest, are you at uni now or starting this year?
  6. DJ1UK Guest

Looks like the iPod is the same price online or offline - £109.00 ex = £128.08 inc vat,

just the iBook has a different price:

£575.72 ex is £676.47 inc vat. Online it was £722.86 inc vat.

Are you sure you ordered the same spec iBook on the phone as you were looking at online?

7. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
  8. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    I'm starting Uni (in the UK) in September as a postgrad – I was able to use my Acceptance letter as "Proof of Education".