Apple educaion discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irishgrizzly, Dec 6, 2006.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Hi,

Has anyone used this? how much is the discount? My girlfriend is starting a uni job in January in we need a new mac for home.

Thanks

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The discount is about 8%, or more in the UK (if you buy through the university.)

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm in Ireland (user name may give it away). A woman from apple does come around once a week to take orders – so maybe going through her would get a better discount?

Thank for your reply.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm not sure about the Irish store, but I can imagine the discount levels are similar to the UK.

As an example, a 17" 2.0GHz iMac costs £799
    With the normal education discount, it's £750.83 (that's about 6%)
    With the higher education discount, it's £702.65 (about 12%)

The price for an education institution is £598 (£702.65 - VAT)

Staff are meant to buy their computers through the higher education discount, rather than the institution prices, so I think the institution prices are probably for more than one computer.

5. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I think in the US its 10% because I got to baseline iMac which normally costs $999 for $899

6. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

It's actually is different for each computer, at least in the US. The percent saved goes down as the computers get more expensive. Observe (all stock configurations):

Attached Files:

7. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Consider ADC student membership if you want to spend money to save money. Cost is $99 for students but you get one huge discount (20% off pro models and possibly a free copy of Leopard). Sign up here.

8. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

They also seem to have removed any discount on the iPods. That's why at least on the US Edu store they will let you buy as many as you want nowadays.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The discount on software and apple care seems to be much greater than on the computers themselves.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's because software only costs a nominal amount to produce, Tiger costs about £50 rather than £89 with HE Discount.

11. codo macrumors 6502

If you have a NUS or NUS Associate card then you will receive the maximum discount.

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

My professor used to work for Apple and I told him I was in the market for a MB. He'll try to ask his friends who are still working for Apple to see if they can get me an employee discount (not sure what % that is though) but the student discount for the white MB 2.0Ghz is about 7% which basically cancels out the tax here.