Apple Education Discount Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Neonguy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Hello,

Got a quick question here. I notice if you go to Apple Education website, I can choose a School such as a College. Then I can purchase Apple item at a discount. I was wondering if they are going to call your school and check on you to make sure you do attend at the School if I order online? What is required? I can go through the whole process choosing a school and get a discount. My sister is attending College, but I'm using my Credit Card. Is this possible?

Thank You

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

yeah, just go on and purchase through education and thats it. If you go to the store they make you show a school idea but online is on the honor system.

3. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

they reserve the right to check up on you and cancel the order if they find out you're not attending the school you say you are...

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

What is it with people like you? You just can't stand getting left out I guess.

Lets get it straight, you are not attending an educational institution but you want to purchase something with a discount intended ONLY for those who are?

It doesn't matter if your sister goes to college, you don't. So unless, the item you want to purchase is for your sister (in which case put the money in her account and let her buy it), don't even bother.

It is disgusting when members come on here publicly announcing how they are going to abuse Apple's very generous EDU discount scheme and the moderators do nothing about it. I for one (I'm a genuine education customer btw), will NOT be happy when Apple takes away our privilege, or makes it extremely more difficult to make use of it because of misuse by some.

David

5. n8236 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure which discount you're talking about, but the regular school discount that anyone can access and use w/o much problem isn't much good compared to ADC's student discount. The ADC student discount is 20% off, but it requires proof of current school schedule and ID proof. The ADC discount can be only used once per person and it requires a $100 membership fee. So if you buy more the better.

6. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow buddy, before you go name calling and shouting I'm not abusing the Apple Education System. My sister go to College but she have no Credit Card. I already have a Dell 2407WFP so I'm buying this for her. The only problem is that I'm using my Credit Card so it under my name. And If you say put it in her account. I wouldn't do that. I rather use Credit Card in case something go wrong.

7. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to use the 20% discount off online? If I give her my Credit Card to buy it when she at School it's not going to work.

The other one requires a $100 membership fee? Is this the online one you go through picking a School? How come I don't see anything saying about membership fees?

8. n8236 macrumors 65816

Here is the link to the Student ADC: http://developer.apple.com/students/

The ADC 20% off is for online only as far as I can tell.

It would be best if the same name is used to buying the ADC and the machine, because otherwise it'll become speculative.

Once charged for the ADC, you fax a copy of ur ID and current school schedule to the number listed on that page. Takes a few business days to get it processed. Then you can order ur stuff thru ADC.

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think you need to straighten out your logic. Name-calling? I refrained from calling you anything.

You ARE abusing the education discount. It doesn't matter if you are buying it for someone else who is in college. The point is, it is NOT her money. YOU are not at school/college/university. YOU are bending the rules to suit your situation. If my parents were still alive and wanted to buy me a Mac, they wouldn't get education discount just because I am at university.

If you gift your sister the money - then it is her choice to buy a Mac with edu discount or not. But, if you are using a credit card, the money is in no way hers (or even yours).

So, in summary, you have NO right to purchase anything with education discount from Apple (or anyone else).

This is whether your story about it being for someone else is all BS or not. It doesn't matter.

David

10. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Err..So Credit Card is not money? I still have to pay for it in the end anyway. You don't make any sense. If she go to College, then she is qaulify for Apple Education discount? Isn't this what Apple Education Discount is use for? I think you are just piss because you think I buy this for myself and feel unfair for you because you go to School. You saying, transfer the money into her account and let her buy it? What don't you understand? I'm ordering online and using Credit Card is more safe? It's the same as money buddy! She go to School but don't have money to buy the Monitor. I'm helping her buy it by using Credit Card and she pay me back. Don't get so workup on it, it's not a big deal.

It's just like my parent buy me a Computer through Apple with Edu discount because I don't have the money or Credit Card. I pay them back eventually, or like a reward for earning good grade. From what you are saying is complete BS like, if someone attenting school and don't have the money to buy Apple Product then they don't deserved the Apple Edu discount!

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

What I say is at least legible.

Credit card is not money, no. Well not your money anyway. It is a debt, until repaid. I can't make this any clearer.

YES, your sister qualifies for education discount but you don't. Since this is YOUR debt to the credit card company, you have no right to buy. If you doubt me, call Apple, explain your situation truthfully and see what they say. If Apple are aware you are using the education discount to buy for someone else, they would not allow it.

BTW, I do NOT go to school. Just because I said I am an education customer does not mean I go to school. Am I annoyed because I think this whole story is BS? Slightly. Although, what I am saying is true whether your story is accurate or not.

BBTW, It IS a big deal because you are attempting to bend the rules. I am saying that it is not legitimate for you, or anyone else to buy a product from the EDU store regardless of who you are purchasing that item for.

This can not be made any clearer.

David

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well said. The intended destination for the product has absolutely no impact on the use of the EDU discount. The discount is a deal between Apple and the person buying the product, regardless of who the product is for. If the person buying the product does not meet the criteria for the discount then they are not entitled to the discount, regardless of who the product is for.

13. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

How about I walk in the Store with her, and she show her ID and I use the Credit Card? Will this work? She don't have a job so how the heck is she going to get the money or a credit card? I would never pay something over 1K with real money. Not like they refund you with the cash up front. You have to wait for 2 to 3 weeks they write you a check, etc. With Credit Card you can open dispute in case something went bad like they don't want to let you return it. I would think Credit Card still money because I alway pay them back due to high interested. I don't see what so wrong with using Credit Card to pay for her is wrong but giving her money to pay for it is ok. I'm not bending the rule because I let her borrow my money oppose to paying with her own.

But anyway, I'm just asking for advice but I guess people think I buy for myself. I guess my question is better answer if I call Apple instead, asking on here on Community board will only result in some people thinking I'm making some BS story to abuse the system and get upset by it. Though I hate calling Apple, wait for 30 - 1 hours, this is why I don't call. I'm sure they would let me use my Credit Card to buy for her. I guess this is what I do. If they don't let me, screw that they just loose a sales.

14. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Wow.. some of the posts here.. man, make me wanna say 'Relax dude'. Sheesh, someone just wants to either save money, or genuinely buy something for her sister. When i was a student in music school and my sister-in-law needed a powerbook.. she took me along to the apple store. I showed my student id, and she paid for the powerbook with her credit card.

Did the sales rep care? Not at all. In the end, Apple is making a legitimate sale.. no one's shoplifting or buying anything pirated. :rolleyes:

15. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I really think that as long as the item ends up in the hands of the education user, that's really the point. The education discount, in my view, is to allow for people who might not normally be able to afford to get a Mac to be able to do so. My mum decided to get me a computer for University and the education discount was the difference between her allowing for that computer to be a Mac or not. It wound up in my, the student who the discount is intended for, hands, so was it wrong for her to allow me to have the computer and not wait till I found work where my new university was and had saved up the kind of money I needed to afford that thing?

And really, how fair is it that teachers who get paid excellent salaries get to use the discount just as much as those earning very little? It's all very arbitrary...and as long as it's not really dodgy (blatantly buying for oneself when one is not entitled to do so), who cares? If Apple thought this was a huge problem they would do more checking of ID or do more of what they do here and require you to be on the school network to make the purchase.

16. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm not upset by it, nor do I think your story is BS. I totally believe that you want to buy it for your sister who is in college.

But you did ask whether or not that was possible under the rules of the EDU discount, and unfortunatly it is not. As I said earlier, the intended destination has no impact on the use of the EDU discount.

If you ordered using the EDU discount, and your purchase was audited by apple, then you would be found to not qualify for the discount.

Does what you are doing bother me? No, because in this case the purchase is for someone who would qualify for the EDU discount, you are just acting as a go-between.

My concern is that the more violations of the EDU discount that occur (and I know that your intentions are good, but technically this is a violation) the more likely it is the apple will scrap the discount. Heck, they have already done away with it for the ipods.

None of my comments in my previous post were meant as a personal attack at you, nor did I say that I didn't believe your story. The only thing I was doing was addressing whether what you are planning to do is allowable under the terms of the discount, and unfortunatly it is not. Do I personally think it should be allowable, yeah, if the recipient qualifies it shouldn't matter who pays.

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Please tell me on what planet that happens, so that I can relocate. :D

18. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I think this is what I'm going to do. I'm going to the Apple Store with her tomorrow and she show her school ID and I pay for it. Some people need to calm down and need to know that not everyone is rich and Unfortunately enough to own a Credit Card . It's still a legit sale because you are buying for someone who go to School. Good to know there still nicer people on the Communities though.

19. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

So because someone wants to save some money, it makes this ok? If he goes along to the store and a dumb, desperate for sales Apple rep permits it then so be it.

However, it is TRUE that buying something for someone else on edu discount when you are not an edu customer yourself is breaking the rules.

I'm done.

David

20. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Oh great, another personal interpretation of Apple's policy.

BTW, it is NOT arbitrary. It really really is quite simple.

David

21. Neonguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I just want to tell you that you are WRONG and you don't know what you are talking about. I already call Apple up and even read their policy. It is stated.

Who is Eligible To Purchase
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

* Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

* Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

* Parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

So, to tell you that student who currently attenting College is consider qaulify even they don't pay it for themself. An adult gaurdian can pay for them. Also Apple told me that anyone can pay for the person attending a higher education is perfectly fine. As long as that person is over the age of 18 and is in the family.

So what I'm doing is totally legit and not breaking the rule. I suggest you to do more research then flame me.

To prove that I'm not making this up or just BS. After talking to Apple on the phone I did place the order, and tell her that my Sister is attenting College and I will be paying for her item. She told me this is perfectly fine as long as I'm over the age of 18.

[​IMG]

This is why you can walk into an Apple Store, flash your student ID and the other person can pay for it. It's not the store is dumb or in really need of a Sales badly. Well, most of the times it did feel like this with Apple Store, but that's isn't the point. 99% it's okay. The other time they may ask for the other person ID too to check and make sure he/she is the same family member and over the age of 18.

Do you actually think Apple care who is paying for it??

22. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Hehe, well, they don't get paid too badly here (I'm attempting to go into a teaching programme that'll offer about 22,000 pounds to start, which is excellent...only problem is London prices make it a bit less so). And I suspect if you were to go to a private school to teach, it'd probably be a bit more.

23. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Why don't you guys just chill out, why the hell do you care if he buys stuff and gets a discount, its not your money so big deal. I literally bought a Quad G5, a Powerbook G4 12", extra Ram, and an ipod at the store with the educational discount for my dads office. They knew that I wasn't going to go to school with it, I knew I wasn't so whatever. It's like if you can pull it off more power to you, you save money and get by better than the "nice" guy. Remember look out for yourself first or you'll always be just a little behind.

24. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Ouch. Being a bit harsh and possibly a bit elitist, don't you think?

As a clarification, seeing as you seem to have such contempt for my "personal intepretation" of the policy, my mum is actually a teacher herself. So when my computer was purchased, it would still fall into educational discount category. But I guess now is the time you will come back to point out that, oh but wait! Her giving the computer to me would be quite the breach of the precious policy!

Man, I guess I should've started mowing lawns for peanuts when I was 5 instead of 10. Maybe this wouldn't have happened!

Apple cares about getting computers into the hands of young people. I don't think they care if a parent pays for the computer for their student child because that child is going to take it to school and when all his friends ask, woah, what kind of computer is that and how do I get one, he'll know exactly what to answer. That 150 dollars to mark off on the computer is well worth the word of mouth advertising that Apple will achieve.

The advertising alone that I give them is well worth their money. People who come to me to have their Windows platform computers fixed are highly swayed in the opinion of what should be their next computer when the IT advisor is using a Mac.

I guess the solution to this would be when my mum gets stuck paying full price for it then proclaim how much they really do suck? :rolleyes:

And, proudly, I am now on my second Mac which I toiled away hour after pitiful hour mucking about w/Windows computers to purchase. Nice.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Technically, yes. But that's not what's going on here. Someone else can pay for it, if the person who's in college or is a teacher is in the same household and/or will be using it themselves at school. As posted above. The student ADC discount is a little different, and a lot more strict. Not to mention you can only use it once.

There are people abusing the program, which is why they verify sometimes, but since his Sister can verify, he's in the clear so long as she's using it and he's over 18.