Apple education store ships CTO macbook air slower (3-5 days)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nanotlj, Nov 3, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

1-3 days for CTO macbook air for regular purchase.
    When I choose the education store, the shipping window for the same CTO air jumps to 3-5 days. That is not cool for a $50 discount on $1000+ purchase.

2. macrumors regular

I actually had a different experience. I got my Ultimate 13" 2 days earlier!

3. macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I went through the same experience when I ordered my maxed out BTO MBA with edu discount. In the end I found the same machine at my local Apple Store. Picked that one instead and I returned the BTO model once it arrived. Oh well.

4. macrumors 68030

I suggest buying MBA from Amazon or other websites because that 50 dollars discount is just ridiculous. Unless you live in a state that doesn't get charged by tax, you can save more money with 3rd party retailers.

5. macrumors 68040

rockyroad55

I called them up and asked why. She was confused too and gave me a $70 discount in addition to the $50 educational discount.

6. macrumors demi-god

Did she say why? I'd imagine that they'd want the opportunity to verify that the purchaser is properly qualified to buy, thus the extra two days.

7. macrumors regular

I do not believe this is the case for verification. If you purchase a base model, then both regular and educational orders have the same 24 hr shipping window. I called and they did offer to upgrade my shipping to 2-3 days. However the delivery window still shows Nov 8 to 15, exactly the same as standard delivery.
    Too bad no apple stores in small college town.

8. macrumors regular

I ordered CTO edu discount. I noticed the 3-5 day ship time compared to the 1-3 for non-edu purchases as well. My 11" was prepped to ship on the 3rd business day and arrived just as fast as everyone elses. I don't think it really matters.

9. JCT
    macrumors 6502

It used to be much worse.. when I ordered the original Rev A MBA right after they were released my order was *repeatedly* pushed back while non-EDU orders were being filled. I finally called my Apple rep and she gave me this nonsensical, useless answer. So I finally emailed steve jobs to complain (why not?) Not only did he answer me -- said this didn't "sound right", but my hapless rep called the next day to tell me that (what a surprise) my machine was being expedited.

Still using it almost 3 years later, but my new 11.6" arrives tomorrow. Ordered on the 28th, delivered on the 4th. But it did sit in Kentucky for 36 hours :mad:

JT

10. macrumors newbie

Aww man, I wish I read this thread BEFORE ordering my air earlier. Oh well, now I guess I'll be playing the waiting game. Booo!!!

11. macrumors newbie

Not necessarily the case. It said 3-5 days for my EDU order as well. I ordered on a Sunday and it shipped out on Tuesday. It missed the flight in Alaska. If it would have made that flight like most others did, it would have been 5 days from order to delivery. Instead it came on Monday. Not a huge deal.

12. macrumors newbie

took a week in total, totally worth saving $70

13. macrumors member

Mine took 5 business days from order to delivery.

I ordered on a Sunday it said 3-5 days shipping. It shipped early Wednesday morning and I had it Friday afternoon.

Very fast turn around. Been using it for almost a week (secondary computer) and I think it's great. I'll use it tomorrow for my presentation, finally get to leave my heavy white MacBook home.

Andy

14. macrumors regular

jw6961

I ordered mine (13", 4GB of ram, 128 ssd) this past Sunday 10/31. It said "ships in 3-5 business days".. It left Shanghai this past Tuesday 11/2, was in Alaska yesterday 11/3, and was delivered to me in NYC today 11/4.

Thank you FedEx :D

15. macrumors newbie

Those are awesome delivery speeds. I'm hoping mine will speedy as well. I'm not too far from you, Philadelphia. *crosses fingers*