Apple/Emagic relationship still ok?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by robjohn, Dec 18, 2003.

1. robjohn macrumors newbie

I just called Steve's Music in Ottawa, Canada to see if they sold Logic Platinum 6 for Mac. They said that they hadn't heard from Emagic in over 2 months and suspected that Apple was planning to no longer support Emagic's products. I don't want to be alarmist, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?
    - robjohn

2. kanker macrumors 6502

They just released an update to Logic 6.3.3 yesterday. I'm pretty sure that they're going to continue support, I think they are just reorganizing a little bit.

3. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

4. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

My understanding was that Apple bought Emagic. Logic Platinum is listed on Apple's software page where they list only Apple software. The exception is a link to .mac offer of Virex. Furthermore, it's on their pro digital production pages along with FCP, DVDSP and Shake.

I can't find a Press Release or other documentation to back up my vague memory so take it for what it's worth.

However, the emagic.de web site does call the G5 a "dream machine" for Logic. That sounds like a pretty good endorsement to me.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry.

5. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

yeah, i didn't want to say it, in case it was incorrect... but I though apple bought emagic and dicontinued the windows version.

6. kanker macrumors 6502

That's exactly what happened.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The amount of parallel development between Apple, Emagic and Digidesign (ProTools) at the moment strongly suggests no problems in the Apple-Emagic axis, Apple are already using Emagic's Logic FX in Sountrack, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more integration of Emagic tech into the Mac platform.

Logic is the best audio/MIDI app on the market (OK, DP4 is pretty good), I don't think Apple would have paid top-dollar for it just to bust it up for the code.

8. alset macrumors 65816

alset

WinterMute is right. I expect that Apple has emagic working on development. Every product Apple acquires goes through serious changes to enhance functionality. I've been waiting for that to happen with Logic for some time. That they discontinued the Windows version (IMO) supports the idea of tighter integration.

Dan

9. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

guess i was right... cheers.