Apple employee says G6 real soon!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by markjones05, Nov 2, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Is this rediculous or what? My friend went into the applestore to get information on the 1.8 G5 that I convinced him he needed to switch to from his 800mhz dell. And the guy at the store tells him not to get one because the G6's are on there way out real soon! He also said it was because there was contoversy over the G5 because it wasnt the fastest computer like it was advertised and thats why they are upgrading. I Laughed out loud when I heard this. I told my friend that Apple employess have no knowledge of upcomming releases untill the day they are released. I mean WTF is going on here are there micro$oft emplyees undercover at mac store locations deterring customers from buying macs by giving them false information? These guys need to be fired. I was asking an Apple store employee about the G4iBook 2 days before it was released and he couldnt give me any information on it. Besides its not like they can spend years developing the G5 and then in like 2 seconds decide its no good, scratch it, and decide to come out with a ****ing G6 in another month or two. Right?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Amazing isnt it! makes you wonder if the clown even owns a mac?I think G5's will be with us for a little longer since they were just introduce.

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i'll give him the benefit of the doubt here... maybe he is just kinda confused and meant that there would be faster-clocked g5s coming out soon, not g6's. maybe. either that or he is just horribly simple.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

im sure thats it and we all know faster G5's are coming and G5's in other products.;)

5. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    At first I thought maybe they were thinking of G5 Powerbooks. You know, with the G4 making its way to the iBook then they would HAVE to be ready to upgrade the Powerbook to G5... right?? Then I remembered how long I had the consumer iMac G4 before the Powermacs went G5. I'd say these guys don't know squat.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

when someone says something this stupid, you have the legal right to strike them in the face. i'm pretty sure.

pnw

7. electric macrumors regular

My uncles, brothers, sisters boyfriend, knows a guy whos dad works for a guy that painted his next door niebors car, who commutes with a lady that sells flowers to a buisness mans cousen that flew to Japan with a co worker, who goes to church with a fellow that worked for Apple said that a new PDA will come out soon with a G7 chip.

8. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    That is such a lie. Arn, lock this thread and ban this guy!

9. Petroman macrumors newbie

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Apple employee says G6 real soon!

At least this part of the guy's post is accurate. :rolleyes:

11. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

I'm pretty sure that was a joke after the first joke...

12. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I just had to post this

13. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Are you sure your 'friend' talked to an actual Apple employee and not some dude walking around the mall looking for the Gap? I don't think any Apple employee who actually gets paid to sell Macs would be this stupid to spread such misinformation. Unless of course he was getting canned and he decided to get back at the company.

14. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Re: Re: Apple employee says G6 real soon!

Nah, I've seen all sorts of misinformation coming out of the mouths of Apple Store salespeople. When it comes to future products, they get their information the same place we do - internet rumors. Apple doesn't tell them squat.

I've never had a reason to talk extensively with the people manning the Genius Bar, but the regular salespeople in general know a lot less than the average person at this forum. They know plenty to be able to sell a system to a computer newbie, and they certainly can sound all technical when they want to. But I had to laugh after one recent trip to the Apple Store where I was trying to see how well Virtual PC would run on a certain machine. The sales guy was really nice and helpful, but then he started telling me all these technical "facts" that were flat out wrong. I smiled and nodded a lot, not wanting to bother correcting him but had a good chuckle after I left. :rolleyes:

So basically, I wouldn't trust anything an Apple Store employee says beyond the basic capabilities of any product they have in stock. They may be right, but verify it before taking it as gospel.

15. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I'm thinking this entire thread is a joke.

16. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: Re: Re: Apple employee says G6 real soon!

I agree, with you on that, No one really knew anything about the G5 until it was actually released. Conversly it's been known since early 2001 that the Athlon 64 (Claw and sledge hammer then) was in development.

17. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Yea man hes a good friend who has never givin me any reason to believe he would make something like this up. If u dont believe me you can ask him yourself, hes a new member to these forums. Petroman.

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Re: Re: Re: Apple employee says G6 real soon!

I don't think your friends intelligence or hearing is being questioned here, I think that it is the sanity, intelligence and validity of what the person (employee or impersonator) said at the store.

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

OH NO!

Here comes the Apple PDA rumor again!
    Won't it *ever* die? :rolleyes: :) :p

20. auenway macrumors newbie

I think the guy was saying the right thing, but saying it in the wrong way. Maybe he was thinking the G5 speed upgrades are coming soon and he though G5, because I was talking to a Apple Reseller on Friday, and he is also my computer Graphics teacher, that the new G5 will be coming in December or January and the 1.6 and 1.8 will be out and it will be a dual 2ghz, dual 2.2 and Dual 2.4. So maybe he though it was G6, who knows, the guy is a dumbass anyway :D .

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know I'd question the intelligence, hearing, and sanity of the person saying it and the person falling for it. But that's just me. :p

By the way, which Apple HQ building is he working at in and around New York or is he working at an IBM design facility?

It's simply astounding that the G6 is going to be here before IBM actually releases any significant PPC970 product of their own (Jan 2004).

22. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

Well I heard the PDA was going to have the G10 and and ATI 10000 Pro with 256mb ram, 80 GB hard drive, 2 usb 2.0, fire wire 800, and order of fries:rolleyes:

23. Petroman macrumors newbie

Thats cool whatever you wanna believe man. I am the "friend" of markJones05 and for the people who know me I do not make up fairytales about so called Apple employees who are secretly GAP employees trying to promote their V Necks at Macs expense. Like I have nothing better to do then make up rumors. As for the part about you questioning my intelligence..I am new to these forums and to tell you the truth I dont even own a Mac yet. I am in the process of researching them and I would like to purchase a G5 before January. Is it my fault that I am not completely familiar with how Macintosh works and the amount of time that is reasonable for the introduction of new systems. If I ask an employee a question about something I would like to believe that I am getting accurate information in return. Its not my fault the guy is an a$$clown.

24. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Apple retail store employees do not know about any new products coming out...and the G5 just came out, they'll get a little bit more out of them before switching names. Also, if any manager heard this guy talk about the G6, he'd be fired in a second. Why? Because even if it was true, he wouldn't be allowed to talk about it at all. And if it's not...which it obviously isn't, he'd be lying to a customer.

This smells like stupidity.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would give him a benefit of the doubt, it may have been a Freudian slip. If I remember correctly in the Quicktime release of the G5 the IBM director stated that they are working on the next generation chip. Would that not be the G6?