Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several employees at the Carindale Apple Store in Brisbane, Australia were today fired for stealing personal photos from customers and taking pictures of customers and female staff as part of a lewd rating game, according to Australian news site The Courier Mail.

The behavior was discovered by at the Carindale Apple Store after an employee caught a technician looking through a customer's iPhone in the repair room.

applestorecarindale-800x517.jpg
In the biggest scandal to hit the technology giant in Australia, The Courier-Mail can reveal that more than 100 close-up and explicit photos were taken of female staff and customers without their knowledge and photographs were also lifted from some Apple customers' phones.

The victims' pictures were then shared with employees at other Queensland stores to receive a ranking out of 10.
Apple has reportedly brought in an HR executive from "overseas" to "manage the fallout," but has not yet let employees and customers know who was involved in the breach. Apple confirmed in a statement that the Carindale store is under investigation.
"Apple believes in treating everyone equally and with respect, and we do not tolerate behaviour that goes against our values," the statement read.

"We are investigating a violation of Apple's business conduct policy at our store in Carindale, where several employees have already been terminated as a result of our findings."
According to The Courier Mail, four male employees have been let go from the Carindale store as Apple continues to investigate the incident.

Update: On Thursday Apple released a statement, which reads: "Based on our investigation thus far, we have seen no evidence that customer data or photos were inappropriately transferred or that anyone was photographed by these former employees. We have met with our store team to let them know about the investigation and inform them about the steps Apple is taking to protect their privacy."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Employees at Carindale Store in Australia Fired in Photo Scandal [Updated]

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunny1990

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Was never a fan of their policy of taking the phones back there for repair. How can apple be sure that employee are not looking through my emails?

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

pcmacgamer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2013
Such a terrible shame. I always would air on side of caution and restore phone before taking in for a repair. Realize that's not for everyone and not always possible. So sickening how some rotten people can tarnish image of the honest hard working repairguys. Just hoping this is an outlier...

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
Was never a fan of their policy of taking the phones back there for repair. How can apple be sure that employee are not looking through my emails?
I think that's an issue with any computer repair.
Safest way to is to keep your OS and data on two separate drives. Except you can't do that on Apple laptops anymore, nor phones/tablets. However you can flatten [if not too dead] a phone tablet and after its repair restore from icloud/your computer.

ikm19

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Texas
Yup never leave your iphone out of your sight and when they connect to their laptops ask them questions that what they doing because don't want to see someone backing it up to their mac and then latter restoring it to a dummy phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sounds like high school kids working in a retail store.....

Oh wait

Obviously if explicit photos were actually taken that's different. Guys rating girls....ohhhh nooooo

Reactions: satcomer

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Beat me to it. It was the first thing I thought of while reading this story.
Whoever these people are, they seriously need to have their asses kicked.

Only because it's currently a hot topic topical issue. Like putting a piranha in an aquarium fool of guppies, the piranha's first thought is "Food, yum!"
[doublepost=1476313811][/doublepost]
Sounds like high school kids working in a retail store.....

Oh wait

Wait for what? The ages of the accused to be told?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Whenever MR says "Political in nature" what they mean is the topic belongs in the PRSI forums.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out what the R S I part means.

carry on !

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
This seems to be another decisive move on Apples part to go along with the Dash situation. I would rather work with a company that acts decisively and adjusts when proven wrong, than one that is too soft. I doubt they were even close to too harsh here though.

The guys that got fired must be some real jerkwads. :eek:

Reactions: RuralJuror

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I think it's absurd that the Apple Store asks for your password. Brought an iPhone in and when they told me they needed my passcode, I told them I'd just wait in the store and made them bring me the device every time they needed to unlock it.

Brought a MBP in for an overnight repair, and when they told me they needed an administrator password, I created a new account, deleted all of the others and then made them wait while I did a "overwrite empty space" on the drive. She looked at me with alarm, and I just said "this is what backups are for".

I've sent feedback to Apple on this, and it's the only comment I've sent directly to Tim Cook's email. Maybe this story will get some other people to do the same.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I think that's an issue with any computer repair.
Safest way to is to keep your OS and data on two separate drives. Except you can't do that on Apple laptops anymore, nor phones/tablets. However you can flatten [if not too dead] a phone tablet and after its repair restore from icloud/your computer.

They could've signed out of iCloud and deleted the information on the phone. Or just password protect the drive. I've had my phone repaired for hardware problems before and was not required to remove the password.

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
They could've signed out of iCloud and deleted the information on the phone. Or just password protect the drive. I've had my phone repaired for hardware problems before and was not required to remove the password.
I suggested flattening, then restoring the phone in the post you are replying to.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
The invasion of privacy used to get the photos and other stuff for rating purpose = big deal.

The actual rating of customers based on looks = who cares? Like it or not, everyone does it or else you would never get a boyfriend/girlfriend because they wouldn't have caught your eye.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.