Apple Employment & MacRumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by hob, Nov 22, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hey guys.

Just had an interview for XMas temp work at the Apple Store in mrrdlemrffle...

I'm just wondering what my legal position is with regards this message board.

I'd read somewhere that signing the NDA = no more macrumors... is this true?

If it is this could be one of my last posts!

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd imagine they'd better be able to tell you than us. ;)

that said, i'd imagine you can certainly read and post on the site, just not actually divulge any information that may be secret to you as an employee....

i wouldn't do it at work though. ;)

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Probably true knowing Apple.

mrrdlemrffle is a nice place. The beach is great!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, this is true.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We've heard this question numerous times, and we've never learned the exact wording of what Apple requires. The bottom line is clear, however. You are not to post at MacRumors. Although you can merely avoid the site, or refrain from posting, some members have asked us to close their accounts when they got jobs for Apple, and we agree to do so.

If their employment with Apple is temporary, they are welcome to return to MacRumors. If they simply didn't post, they can start again. To reopen a closed account, they can use the Contact Us form at the bottom of each forum page.

6. thicke macrumors newbie

I don't know why they make the retail employees sign an NDA. It's not like they tell them anything...

Most of the employees didn't know about the C2D Macbook Pros until they found out about through the same channels joe blo mac user did.

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Well when Apple get's a box in someone could peak and see OMG NEW WINDOW ADS FOR APPLE PHONE. *goes to post on MR.com* *gets sacked*

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I think they are more concerned that some mouthy, bonehead will identify themselves as an Apple employee and therefore reflect poorly on the company. By requiring the NDA, they have recourse if someone does do this.

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I worked at a store for a summer, don't worry about this policy too much. Some employees read MR in the back room, for instance. As long as you're not posting any rumors I think you'll be fine. Plus if it's just during xmas, that shouldn't be hard at all.

I hope you enjoy your time there... I certainly didn't...

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Why not, I've heard it's a great work environment.

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

so you, too, did work in the mrrdlemrffle apple store? cool. how's the beach there? :D

anyway. iThink there are places with good working environments and some which don't have it. if one needs the ca$h, especially if it is temporary, forget the working environment.

12. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

13. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Yeah, I'd like to know too!

Most excellent. Such nice clear blue water...

Those are three words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence... Are you serious?!

14. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would not be surprised at all, their background check is very extensive even if you're just working in the back of the store.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Very simple: I have never, ever in my whole life posted on a board of a company that i am working for, and I will never do. Should I ever get a job at Apple, then you can be assured that you will never again hear from me on MacRumors or anywhere else that is Macintosh related. The only situation where I would expect an Apple employee to post to Apple related boards is if that is his or her job; there may be some Apple employees posting at Apple support sites, for example, and some are posting at Apple developer sites. But not on MacRumors.

16. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Yeah, for sure. It's been interesting talking about it, but I know that if I get the job, I'll just have to stop posting. I'm ok with that. Not that I won't miss you guys, but hey - it's only over Xmas!

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I understand that it would be hard to have to stop posting on MR for a while, but it would be a great opportunity to work for Apple. :)

18. Phenomenon macrumors newbie

I work for an Apple retail store...but here's the secret...DON'T TELL ANYBODY AT THE STORE THAT YOU'RE POSTING ON MACRUMORS!!!

19. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

In reply to all those curious about why working at an Apple Store sucks...

Not every Apple store is full of sales reps who think they know everything but in reality don't know sh**, so if that's not your experience, fine. But the Apple Store I worked in was composed almost entirely of idiots. Cocky idiots. The worst kind. The environment was fine, sure. Free t-shirts were nice. Employee discount, nice. But I guess I just can't get over the fact that Apple, the company I'm supposed to love, would hire these people.

Again, this is not applicable to every store. Obviously it will vary. However hearing *many* others comment in previous posts of the past, Apple retail employees generally carry this cocky ignorance (combined with a knack for unhelpfulness) over to interactions with their customers, so I don't think my experience was particularly rare. Again, my opinion, my experience. I hope I don't get blasted as has often been the case when I speak negatively about Apple in these forums.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Uh oh, your secrets out. ;) :D :)

21. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

You dont have to stop posting.....:D Just dont post any identifiable information about yourself here.

22. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Is there a policy if you're working for one of Apple's suppliers? Say, nVidia or Intel?

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The basic principle is: Don't post anything on the Internet that could get the company that you're working for into trouble. Now unless you are the top man in your company's legal department, it is most likely that you don't know what could your company into trouble, so don't post anything.

(As an example, if you were an NVidia employee and proudly posted that a new NVidia graphics card will be in the next Macintosh model, then as a result of that post that card might _not_ be in the next Macintosh model. Similar things have happened. Bummer. )