Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aperture_lens_icon.jpg
Apple will no longer continue development on its professional photography application, Aperture, reports The Loop. Instead, the company is working on the Photos app for Mac that it introduced during the Worldwide Developer's Conference.
"With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture," said Apple in a statement provided to The Loop. "When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS."
The Photos app, which was shown off only briefly during WWDC, will combine with iCloud Photo Library, replacing both Aperture and iPhoto. While Photos will allow users to store, search, and edit photos via the cloud on Apple devices, it is unlikely to include the more robust, professional-oriented tools found in Aperture.

Aperture, which has long lagged behind competing software like Lightroom from Adobe, saw its last major version update to 3.5 on October 22, 2013, and since then, the software has seen just one last minor update. One of the major complaints about Aperture has been its infrequent updates, and many users have wondered if and when Apple would release Aperture 4. With no plans to continue development, professional photographers will want to find another solution, such as Lightroom.

According to TechCrunch, Apple will continue to provide compatibility updates to allow Aperture to run on OS X Yosemite, but development will stop.

Article Link: Apple Ending Development on Aperture as Upcoming Photos App for OS X Will Replace iPhoto

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Woah nelly. It had better be awesome, then.

Like seriously. It needs to have ALL the adjustments...I worry about plug-in capability.

Ugh.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I've used Aperture since 1.0, on day 1. While this is certainly not surprising, it's bittersweet nevertheless.

Anyway, on to Adobe Lightroom!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm glad they're streamlining the (very) bloated iPhoto and providing a better integrated solution, but this really shows how Apple is turning it's back on professionals (hell, even prosumers), who were the main reason Apple and OS X gained popularity early on. :(

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I wonder if they're just ceding to Lightroom for pro photo software. It's hard to compete with the Lightroom -> Photoshop integration. As much as I love Apple everything, I still use Lightroom.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I wonder if the new Photo app will cost $$$, as aperture did. I don't remember any mention of $$$ in the keynote.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Holy crap, they better know the doing. The professional development market has been a core of their business forever... Just look at the backlash they got when they watered down Final Cut...

MehkBehk

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
Well, at least this makes it easier for me to decide whether to upgrade my LR3 to LR5 or whether to buy Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.