Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

napabar

Suspended
Jun 12, 2008
All right people....let's review.

1. Aperture is being killed off because it never sold well, and Apple not interested in making it anymore.
2. Photos IS NOT a replacement for Aperture. It's a replacement for iPhoto. You will be able to export your Aperture library to Photos, but it IS NOT a replacement!
3. Apple is working with Adobe to allow for a smooth transition to those users who need to migrate to Lightroom. This is more than most companies do when they kill something off.

That's all folks!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Classic Apple. Message to Apple users : Avoid Apple applications - we don't take development seriously, it'll always lag behind in features, it'll be buggy, you'll never know when we'll spontaneously take features away and you'll never know when we might kill it.

So much for Apple changing for the better under Tim Cook.

Are you enjoying that all-or-nothing thinking, ignoring the fact that Apple is developing _new_ applications to replace these aging ones? Unlike Adobe and Microsoft that let their software grow and grow and grow and grow until they are usability nightmares?

funkahdafi

Suspended
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Don't get your hopes up on the new Photos app becoming a successor for Aperture. It won't. Apple clearly stated they are working with Adobe to provide a migration path to Lightroom.

Aperture is dead. Better get used to it. I know it sucks. Because I love my Aperture and I hate the thought of having to learn the clumsy Lightroom :(

inajeep

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
When develop applications for the average user. You get average applications.

I was looking to purchase Aperture as I moved my photo editing from my former Windows desktop to my rMBP. I don't like Adobe's cloud and licensing structure. Now my options are limited if not gone. :confused:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
They want me to store my entire iPhoto library in the cloud? How much does 300gb cost, Apple?

... I think I'll stick to offline. I don't even know what benefit I'd have from keeping my photos in the cloud. I store and organise them on my iMac/iPhoto, I view them via synced albums on my iPad, photos I take on my iPhone are (sometimes, because it's finicky as ******) uploaded to my iMac for later organising.

There are some major bugs in iPhoto that requires Aperture to fix. Such as the "empty event" bug that is only fixable in Aperture. So this new application had better be robust.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
One of the things people feared when Apple Computer became Apple. :( I don't use Aperture, but I use Final Cut Express, which was also abandoned. You can't trust Apple's semi-pro software anymore.

Also, there had better be an option to store everything locally. There's no reason for me to want to store photos on Apple's servers.

Last edited:

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Apple is pleased to announce that the same team that brought you the widely praised redesign of iTunes 11 will be the same creative force behind the new Photos.

One significant feature of Photos will be the absence of color in the workflow. Every photo will be automatically converted to millions of shades of grey.

Complaints and protests will be, as in the past, ignored by Apple.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've used Aperture since 1.0, on day 1. While this is certainly not surprising, it's bittersweet nevertheless.

Anyway, on to Adobe Lightroom!

When I got my camera I tried to get on with Aperture, but just couldn't figure out how it thinks. Also couldn't get it to even generate a reasonable print. Lightroom was instantly intuitive for me.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Well I guess my adobe CC just became useful to me...

Any tips to move my photos from Aperture to LR?

EGlasheen

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Not a good move... The new photo app is limited. No choice but to use Adobe now. No choice but to use Microsoft products now... might as well get a freakin PC...

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
As a professional, this is absolutely the end. Apple will cease to provide RAW converter updates to Aperture, so when I eventually upgrade to a yet-to-be-released camera such as the Canon 1DX Mark II and the Canon 5D Mark IV, I will be ***** out of luck.

Bryan

The weird part is that Raw support is supplied at the OS level. Aperture never provided raw support on its own, and only took advantage of what the OS offered.

That means Apple is still going to have raw file format support in the future, because people still use the Photos app.

Aperture itself is just a top-notch product, and it really didn't need any upgrades. I've always wondered what else they could do to make it better, couldn't think of anything important.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Per Darymple:

Apple was very clear when I spoke with them this morning that development on other pro apps like Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro is continuing. Professionals in those app categories should not worry about their apps—they will continue as normal.

OK... but why leave out photographers?

Apple used to have pro-level apps for music, video, and photography.

Now it's just music and video.

ASkeptic

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
Classic Apple. Message to Apple users : Avoid Apple applications - we don't take development seriously, it'll always lag behind in features, it'll be buggy, you'll never know when we'll spontaneously take features away and you'll never know when we might kill it. It is not a software company.

So much for Apple changing for the better under Tim Cook.

Exaclty. Google would never do this. I feel sorry for Apple users for paying all that money for a Mac only for it to get dumbed down into an iToy a little more every year.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So the new Photos app will replace iPhoto. That is cool. Why scrap Aperture?

Streamlining. If Photos is a brand new application for iOS and OS X, then Apple will sure be leveraging the best of the underlying technologies provided by the operating system for a lean, mean application. iPhoto, I'm sure, has a lot of legacy code written 12 years ago (yes, 12 years!).

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Anyone dumb enough to rely on Apple for professional level software deserves it. We saw what they did to Final Cut, never mind dumbing down the mac version of iWork to match the iPad.

:rolleyes:

Must be a lot of dumb people out there then!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Well this sucks :/

I liked Aperture sooo much better than Lightroom. I like the Loupe tool, the adjustments, the biggest thing is the library structure itself, there was only ONE file to worry about.

Lightroom (unless things have changed) has that awful XMP sidecar file, and a few other smatterings of files to deal with when you move your library around.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
This sucks.

Lightroom isn't going to cut it for high-end digital asset management. The Aperture tools are so much better at organization and cataloguing.

Aperture needed a multi-user database, and it would be perfect for a journalism environment.

Lightroom is only good for simple single-user databases.

Lightroom doesn't cut it for high-end digital asset management? Really? I'd guess far more pros use Lightroom than Aperture.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Well I guess my adobe CC just became useful to me...

Any tips to move my photos from Aperture to LR?

If Apple is smart about it they would make Adobe use Apple's raw conversion engine so images aren't affected when moving to Lightroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.