Apple engineers help with Chimera

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by sjs, Jul 26, 2002.

1. sjs macrumors 6502

With Chimera v. 0.4, if you go to "About Navigator" and watch the credits roll by, at the bottom it says: "Special Thanks to: Apple Computer Software Engineering." Would it be ordinary for Apple to send software engineers to a project like Chimera, or does this mean something?

2. dricci macrumors 6502a

From what I've picked up, the main Chimera programmer has left AOL/Netscape and started working for Apple... On what, I don't know.. I hope Chimera stays alive though. I want the standards and speed of Mozilla with the beauty of Cocoa and Aqua. Once it's stable and has all the "features" worked out, maybe we'll see it ship in place of IE in the next major Mac OS X release...

3. j763 macrumors 6502a

two things to note:

- dave hyatt now works for apple. dave's the guy who started the chimera project and who has done most of the work on it.

- the acknowledgement to to apple's engineers has been in there since 0.2 i think... certainly in 0.3

4. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

What's with that signature j763? Is that anti-Apple or am I reading it wrong?

-Pete

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

He's getting stuck into .mac...

.mac - M$ copy of .NET

cost of .mac (not free) - M$ style of business

.Macrosoft - Apple is becoming M$-like...

--

I'd love to see Apple have its own browser. I guess helping out with a non-Apple branded browser is a way to avoid M$-style anti-trust/monopoly issues. Same with OpenOffice?

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Combine that with the Open Office news....

Hmm....are we looking at a total break with MS?

I wouldn't mind that at all. :D :D

7. j763 macrumors 6502a

Glad someone could decypher it :) Yes, it is anti-apple... I'm thinking of changing it though... Not even Microsoft would have done what apple did to their users with .mac

8. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

My question about this is do you think Apple is going to start from scratch (or based on the Chimera?) and come out with a free download iBrowser? Or would it become part of the OSX package like MS does with IE?

Also, this really would signify a break with MS, as someone said, when combined with a competitive Office suite. I think it signals a great deal of confidence in the future. No bowing down to MS anymore.

9. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

except microsoft would never have even started something that was a free service to their users

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think you have to worry about Apple ever creating their own web browser again. Cyberdog was a one-hit-wonder.

Besides, we still need Internet Exploder occasionally for those sites which have done silly things to keep Netscape (and the rest of the world) out.

11. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah...Apple is really going through a phase where it's changing its relationship with Mivrosoft a lot...they're really getting in their face...I'm pretty sure that's a good thing...
    Can someone tell me how large the difference is between Appleworks, Open/Staroffice and MSOffice?

12. job macrumors 68040

job

Here is a comparison screenshot taken off of the Openoffice.com website.

Attached Files:

13. job macrumors 68040

job

OpenOffice can pretty much replace MSOffice in any basic task, i.e. word processing, etc.

At the moment they don't have a native X version, so they run it under XFree86 for X.
    [edit]correction : they do have a release for X; a dev release. :)[/edit]

p.s. sorry about the bad quality screenshot. for a better one go to http://whiteboard.openoffice.org/screenshots/images/compare_ms_osx.png

14. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

also of note regading chimera is that in jaguar the drop down list in the internet preferences will hold both ie and chimera, instead of just ie currently.

so will we see chimera ship with 10.2? probably not. its too immature, but they are making sure that if it is on your computer that it will find its way automatically into that dropdown list next to ie. having just ie there has pissed me fof for some time. everytime it gets reset you have to navigate through the file system to find mozilla again. very frustrating.

my guess is that at some point we will see both ie and chimera preinstalled on systems.

15. hoshi macrumors newbie

i think they should call it the " internet finder " haha like the "internet explorer" (if you didnt get it)

but if they did do it my way than they could refer to it as ifinder
    and just add it to all the recent iprograms :D

hehe too perfect dont you thnk?

16. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Wow, that's great. I think it would be stupid of Apple to bundle Chimera with Jag though... bundling an app at v 0.4 with an OS is crazy.

I'd like to be able to add my own browsers to that drop down list. Or even be able to click a button and have it find all the browsers I have for me.

17. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm sure there are people out there that would love to fiddle with the source code...:)

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

iFinder isn't all that bad of a name. better than the iWeb, iNet and all the other crap thats been suggested.

Maybe Finder.Mac ?? ;)