Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has unveiled extensive new functionality, multiple language support, and Siri-enhanced features for the QuickType keyboard in iOS 10.

The update brings significantly expanded contextual awareness to the QuickType keyboard when responding to messages, with a number of suggested replies offered directly from Siri.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-13-at-19.11.58-800x435.jpg

For example, if someone texts you a question like "Where are you?" Siri can offer to send your current location. Likewise, if you receive a message like "What's Sue's address?", Siri can offer to send the information with a single tap.

Intelligent scheduling has also been improved, while users can now switch between multiple languages on the fly without having to manually change keyboards.

Other Siri assistive keyboard features include contact information, calendar availability, recent addresses, and contextual lookup options.

Article Link: Apple Announces Enhanced 'QuickType' Keyboard Functions in iOS 10

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
multilingual typing is very meh and doesn't work too well on the mac so I hope its improved.

Reactions: S G

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Looking good, but have they added any more languages yet? Writing in Norwegian feels really tidious compared to English due to the lack of QuickType. One would figure that when they can do perfect dictation and Siri on Norwegian, they would also be able to add this.

Reactions: Good User Name

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
I just wanted cursor keys for my iPads. No force touch, so a PITA to nudge the cursor one character....but nooooooo!

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
I thought QuickType already did this stuff? I'm pretty sure this was said in another keynote.

But tbh, apple's keyboard is probably still better than every 3rd party keyboard out there now. It's just polished and fast, minus the small bugs. Swiftkey takes a bit longer to type IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.