Apple EPP discounts available to just about anyone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tveric, Apr 27, 2004.

1. tveric macrumors 6502

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

what a great way to make apple take away these discounts or make them more difficult to obtain for the people who are supposed to be getting them...

if you don't deserve the discount, please don't try to take advantage of it! :(

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I'm sure that Apple is quite aware all of this is going on and they don't care. It's obvious they are still making a profit on everything even if it does sell at an EPP discount. The cost of strictly enforcing the EPP discounts would far outweigh any reduction in profit Apple gets by selling the stuff at a discount to those that technically don't qualify. Besides, in the EPP terms and conditions it clearly states "The program is intended for personal use or for the use of family members and friends." Geez, that could be absolutely anyone anyway. If Apple didn't want just anyone to take advantage of this, they wouldn't have it setup the way they have.

4. tveric thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't understand this post at all. On the one hand, you seem to imply that I shouldn't have posted (or ThinkSecret shouldn't have written the article) because Apple will now make it more difficult for "illegitimate" people to use discounts that don't apply to them - well, wouldn't that be a legitimate response by Apple?

Of course, then you add your disclaimer - which agrees with my point of view, that the discounts are meant for people with a right to them.

And as our other poster pointed out, Apple still has a higher margin with any discount sale than people like Dell or Gateway have on their regular sales, so I really don't forsee any changes in policy as a result of the article.