Apple Event Coverage... Feedback?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Oct 16, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

How did it go?

I know we might have run into the limit on the IRC channels... and I got lagged out. I suspect it worked for many people with the website being a backup if the irc didn't hold up.

Any suggestions, comments?

arn

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well I like the idea of an IRC based broadcast system, as you can get people on multiple channels and go to +m. but it's so difficult to find good IRC servers... i don't mean anything against the current network, just that it split out a few times and got overloaded... something that any non-huge IRC network would probably do in that situation.

i used to be an ircop over on nevernet, so i know how hard it can be to get even a handful of servers tied together right.

the web feed was definitely important, it's where i got the majority of my info... and i like having it separate from the main page, as has been done in the past. did chaosmint handle the traffic well?

honestly i can't really think of a better way to get the info out than an IRC net. perhaps someone could develop a javascript app that would log keystrokes in realtime from the broadcaster, and would display the results into an applet that people could just see, not have to go to an IRC network. does that make sense? anyway it'd probably be too much development time. but if you did it right, only the web server would take the traffic, not an IRC network (or the broadcaster!)

i want to thank you guys again for providing the live updates, it's fantastic for these events that aren't streamed.

:)
    pnw

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I wasn't able to get into the IRC channel either, but the chaosmint feed worked fine.

What are the options for improving the IRC set up? And is it really worthwhile, since there are usually only a handful of instances like this a year?

4. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Chaosmint worked great for me as it has for every other event.

If memory serves, the updates were towards the middle / bottom of the page and I had to scroll after every refresh. While I don't mind the ads (even as a demi) it got a bit annoying. Again from memory, there was a bunch of static info at the top - expected updates and recent rumors - which is where i would have preferred the news to be.

However, no legit complaints. The event was covered and that makes me happy.

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

IRC

The idea of the 2nd through 5th IRC channels was good... we just need to make one or more of them moderated as well for those who have other clients and don't want to see (all the MRchat users flooding in and out) and mindless jabbering.

The previous event, we had a few mirrors on other networks, helping to spread out the load a bit. One or more of them may need to be moderated as well. (One moderated, one not on each server?)

Krono.net is a great network, but we seemed to overtax their servers... ~1600 people at once! Krono record :)

Not to mention overtaxing the MRchat program. Maybe future downloads have the join/part messages suppressed by default, and possibly suppressing the server-supplied user list the client gets on join. With hundreds of users, the client was getting "flooded" off just with the server messages.

6. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

Re: IRC

The version that went up the day before (ie 1.0.1) had join/parts suppressed when the channel goes moderated, although the client still has to receive them even if it doesn't display them - nothing you can do about that (short of altering the server itself of course).

I'll look at what can be done about the userlist and anything else that would help.