Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex Wrege

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2003
this from Alex

Apple ignores its NON USA markets. It rarely recongises its Candian market.
[/B]

Stella,
I totally agree with you. I am originally from Germany and I think Apple still has a lot of catching up to do in their non-US markets.
However, dealers have greater liberties there and might be able to help out a little.
Wishlist for regionalization:
iTunes Europe (and just for you: Canada)
Apple Stores in Europe
special events.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
wah!

Though I'm sometimes sympathetic to the international audience, stop your whining already and get over it. If you want a USA discount, move to the USA. Yes it'd be nice if Apple could, but they're not, if you don't like it, go look for a Dell discount that the extend from the US to the worldwide audience, or Dodge, or Maytag, or another US company. Oh, that's right, those companies don't either. Right. BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO! I'm sure there's discounts in other countries that don't extend to the US. It's the breaks, so stop complaining about it and deal.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by Mosco
Anyhow, drove up to NH and bought 3 20 gig ipods at 359.10 each with no tax. Cheeper than the educational discount i would have used and didn't have to pay tax. Educational would have been about 389 per ipod after tax.
A number of 30 Gig iPods were available as well. Apple's price was $419 minus 10% or $377.10. Ten additional gigs for less than $20 additional dollars. It was too good to pass up.

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Event Schment

Take a second and think about where you heard about this event. Take away all the Mac specific websites that you are now thinking about and what do you have left. For me, nothing. If you are not a mac nut, like most of us, then this "event" slipped on by. How is Apple going to get new customers if the new customers don't even relize something special is happening?

Just a thought.

MarkMc

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
Re: Event Schment

Originally posted by AirUncleP
Take a second and think about where you heard about this event. Take away all the Mac specific websites that you are now thinking about and what do you have left. For me, nothing. If you are not a mac nut, like most of us, then this "event" slipped on by. How is Apple going to get new customers if the new customers don't even relize something special is happening?

Just a thought.

I got an eMail from Apple. Came right to my inbox.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Re: Re: This is the Big Music Event?

Originally posted by ksz
A number of 30 Gig iPods were available as well. Apple's price was $419 minus 10% or $377.10. Ten additional gigs for less than $20 additional dollars. It was too good to pass up.

damn... If i had known i would have gotten 3 of those... To late now i guess.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Re: Apple Event Discounts - 10% iPods, iMac Discounts

Originally posted by Macrumors
As previously reported, Apple is offering 10% off Music-Related Products (including iPods) at their local Apple Stores today. According to one user report, Apple is also offering $200 and $100 off the 20" and 17" iMacs respectively.

In a unique move, Apple is also offering 10% iPods and Accessories at the Online Apple Store today.

Few days ago, some friends were expecting Apple to release 5gb iPods, and I wrote that it would be logical for Apple to make discounts instead of releasing another product..

I was expecting 33% discount, but Apple made 10.. better than nothing, isn't it? :)

Enjoy, you US citizens.. It seems like Europeans dont have any importance for Apple.. :(

humangod

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2003
sac, california
Originally posted by Stella
HELLLO, AMERICAN

These discounts are not available outside north america.

It stinks.

then go start your own international computer company and show the world how it should be done. until then, shutup.

painandgreed

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2003
Seattle
Complain, complain, complain.

Do You know how much a copy of 2000AD costs in the US? How about CDs from the Out of Line label from Germany? You people lower your prices and we'll lower ours!

Just be glad Apple's an US company and sells all their stuff to Europe at all. If it was Sony, Fujitsu or some other Japanese company, you'd never see the iPod except on company websites in another language or from friends that travel there and bring the stuff back because it's never sold otuside of the country.

mwjd299

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2003
Santa Maria, CA
Picked Up 20" iMac

I was just looking, then learned of the $200 off the 20" iMac. I took one look at it and loved that screen immediately. They were also offering an Epson C84 printer for $99 with a $99 rebate, so I picked that up with it. I am a switcher and so far, the switch is painless. I did have a problem loading the Netzero application with a disk I picked up at Best Buy. It crashed when trying to connect. I also have an AOL account and I loaded that, connected to the internet and downloaded the version Netzero has on the web site and that worked fine. :)

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
The International Problem

If I were an overseas Apple consumer, I'm sure I would be just as frustrated as the many posters who feel frozen out of many Apple product offerings.

Still, Apple must know that this market exists; after all, it's not in the business of frustrating its own customers.

As a result I can't help but believing that there are hidden reasons for Apple's failure to support the international market in the iPhoto, iTMS and various discount offerings.

With the iTMS we've been told that the individual national licensing entities must each be negotiated with in order for Apple to be able to sell in those markets. That's got to be a huge chore.

I do hope that Apple will succeed in overcoming whatever obstacles it faces in order to offer these products and discounts to its overseas customers.

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Re: Picked Up 20" iMac

Originally posted by mwjd299
I was just looking, then learned of the $200 off the 20" iMac. I took one look at it and loved that screen immediately.

How is the screen? I haven't seen one yet. Is it stable and not top heavy on the arm?

I'm a switcher too. Got the original 15" LCD iMac and loved it so much I went out and got a 12" Powerbook when they came out.

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
Re: Re: Event Schment

Originally posted by MarkMc
I got an eMail from Apple. Came right to my inbox.

Exactly my point. All my PC friends had no idea the event was happening. As for Apple Stores, I know they couldn't tell me where one is.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Event Schment

Originally posted by AirUncleP
Exactly my point. All my PC friends had no idea the event was happening. As for Apple Stores, I know they couldn't tell me where one is.

This was an event aimed at people looking for iPods for the holidays. If they were looking for an iPod, they've probably already downloaded iTunes for Windows. If they did that, Apple has their email address, so they knew about the event.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Apple and Internaltional Policies

Hi all,

The International vs U.S. talk is going a bit too far.

Let's keep it reasonable.

arn

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Yawn!

True that a discount is a discount, but 10% off music related items? Big deal. For those international consumers, I would hold the complaining for something bigger. It wasn't even 10% off of everything, just music-related, and for only one day. At the Milwaukee store, they had a big sign posted at least a week before hand, if not two weeks, and were extremely tight lipped as if it was something big. Kinda disappointing. I didn't even go and check it out once I saw what it was. Had it been 10% off everything, I might have gone.

Those complaining about ITMS not being outside the USA: Complain to the recording industry and the RIAA. Those complaining about iPhoto services not being outside the USA: complain to Kodak. Apple is working on the issues. A previous poster is absolutely correct in saying that Dell and other companies wouldn't even bother with an outside US deal. With iTMS being scheduled for a Japan release, they may very well be the first with an extra-USA deal. It was hard to get the industry to go along with this sort of thing in the first place, let alone getting them to go with it in a place with totally different laws (not just about copyright...). If Apple says they are working on it, it will come. Have faith and complain to the right source. Write letters to music companies and the RIAA trying to convince them.

And what's this about .Mac firewire deals? Do I actually have to goto my .Mac homepage to see my stuff now? I used to get an e-mail...

mwjd299

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2003
Santa Maria, CA
Re: Re: Picked Up 20" iMac

Originally posted by weave
How is the screen? I haven't seen one yet. Is it stable and not top heavy on the arm?

The screen seems huge. It is very stable and acts just as the 17"model does.

Longey Nowze

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
just a small point

I saved $500-$700 depending on which country having someone send me a 17" PowerBook from NY rather than buying it from my own country or any place in Europe, the $3k price tag is cheaper than the EDU pricing in my country! that sucks... I don't know if this is an Apple issue, a government issue or a plain greedy dealer issue. I never noticed that pricing of Sony products is more expensive or something!

Thank You
MaT

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
as luck would have it, i drove to chicago to visit some friends over thanksgiving, and i ended up visiting downtown on friday... i got to see that beautiful apple store, and on the very day of the special! very cool, indeed.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by Stella
HELLLO, AMERICAN

These discounts are not available outside north america.

It stinks.

Maybe there's a problem with offering these discounts to international markets, I don't know. But apparently you do know the truth, which according to you is that Apple has this great dislike of selling products outside of the U.S. Sorry, I didn't know you work for Apple and know all of the problems with selling overseas. I also failed to realize you are an international business degree holder and work with intetnational markets on a daily basis.

Give it a rest people. No amount of complaining on your part is gonna get you ITMS, discounts, etc any faster. Face the facts that there are issues that you are not aware of since you have nothing to do with Apple selling its products abroad. Essentially, you don't know anything about it. So please stop all the whining until you gets some facts.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
very interesting posts on this page....

there seems to be a lot of people complaining about Apple's 10% which I would agree is not really that much to get excited about . It seems very strange to hype a big store opening and then only offer a 10% discount. Most other stores that I know of promote the same hype but then go for some big loss leaders to really drag the punters in. I can understand Apple having to negotiate with the recording undustrys in various countries to get iTunes through. That all makes sense but when you have a very devoted but small ( by PC standards) world wide fan base it seems strange not to offer the discounts to Apple stores world wide especially considering that it is for exactly the same products effectively at the same prices all at the same time. Maybe Apple could take a leaf out of M$ book after all M$ is literally a MARKETING company that sells software.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about this because if you get an edu discount overseas then you get the same deal.

I believe once Apple gets more stores opened overseas there will be country only promo's and worldwide promo's.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Is that cool?

Yeah, it's cool!

Almost 2 weeks ago, I received an E-mail announcing a discount, I called my apple store and after changing sentences with the man there I got my iPod 3G 20GB @ 10% less than normal price, tax included... pretty sweet, and just 2 days ago, yes, friday, I got an other E-mail giving another discount... it's insane but sweet... I already have a list with my X-mas wishes...;), I'll go on vacations for the new year and hope to see a new E-mail after they release new things in January... and I'll see why 2004 won't be like 2004 :D ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.