Apple Event: Rackmounts?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, May 13, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Thinksecret reports that the Apple media event will take place between 9am-12noon PST Tuesday, May 14th:

"Please join us for the unveiling of our new server," event invitations read.

2. macrumors 65816

Curious to see what it looks like and what punches it packs.

3. macrumors 6502

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is just showing the new rack servers enough to justify a big todo? Do you think Apple will have a few other things to show? I don't know, if the servers are an serious upgrade from the current specs on the G4 proline, it will be worth it. Too bad I'll be at the dentist during the show, I'll have read it after the fact.

5. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think racks alone are enough news... there was a whole event just for the iPod... :)

arn

6. macrumors G3

Dentists.... OUCH...... :eek: nothing major I hope......

I reckon it'll probably just be the servers, and I think they are going to be dramatic change from the existing models to warrant such an event...... although it would be nice to think that there will be more going on.........:D

7. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have to agree with Arn here. This will open up a huge market for Apple. Not only with they be competing based on power and size, but now with
    OS X this could really give Apple a market that has gone untouched.

I personally am very excited.

8. macrumors member

9. sgw
    macrumors newbie

Come on, this is Steve Jobs

"Is just showing the new rack servers enough to justify a big todo?"

Come on, this is Steve Jobs we're talking about. The man lives for big media todos. Personally, I'm still hoping to see new iBooks as well, even thought the rack mounts are more than enough news.

Personally, I want to see a version of the Powerbook in the form factor of the IBM Thinkpad 570 (13.3" screen, 1" thick, around 4 pounds with maybe a G4 550...) but I'm not holding my breath ;)

10. macrumors member

Time question

how long was the ipod introduction? there is no way there is going to be three hours for just this server i mean MWSF was only two hours and we got a slew of things. Tommorrow is big we will see some new things. im still crossing my fingers for a tablet machine.

11. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I hope what we see tomorrow is a preview of things to come at MWNY, maybe 1.5ghz! DROOL!

12. macrumors member

I don't think the actual announcement is three hours, they probably have a conference room open and available after the initial announcement to look at the thing, show the reporters some demoes, a little Q&A, etc...

13. macrumors regular

yeah, the 3 hours made me think twice, but that's the invitation..... you figure there is an initial reception and whatnot. even so i am guess a lot of demo time or Q&A or something. 3 hours seems like it will be more than 1 up on a stage with Steve reading a spec sheet, then him running away without giving specific shipping dates.

14. macrumors regular

Maybe they will unveil some clustering software to go with servers for use with render farms etc.

15. macrumors regular

I think tomorrow is going to be all server related so don't look for any other non-server related products.

Also, from what I hear you can expect new iBooks and Powermacs before July.

16. macrumors 6502a

Nah. Only server stuff for tomorrow. Remember. Good ol' Stevie likes to brag about all the amazing stuff Apple has been doing, for like an hour or two. It's usually not before the last 15 minutes we get the exciting stuff.... And then maybe an "ah, one more thing".... :)

17. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

It is likely that there will be some Mac OS X Server stuff premiered also. How about a Mac Interface to Sendmail/ImapD. Then there is the headless Quartz, so you can run the thing without a monitor connected. Maybe tweaks to Remote Desktop so that you can control a nonexistant desktop (probably more a function of server than client.)

How about the server actually being able to do stuff with the Kerberos tickets it gets from an AD server. They said that jaguar would have some cool new AD stuff, the Server will need it sooner rather than later.

18. macrumors 65816

mmm, so maybe Gigawire is unveiled as well? Maybe it was intended for the servers first or instead of the desktops? Or is it officical that gigawire is firewire2?

19. macrumors regular

It will be at 9 AM Pacific Daylight (not Standard) Time. Also, the iPod intro at Cupertino was also listed at 3 hours so don't be disappointed if only the Rack Mount Server is introduced. The only other thing that could be announced would be speedbumps to the iBook.

20. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

For Beowulf Clusters, one would use Gig Ethernet, connected to switches. To connect a bunch of machines with firewire you would use a "firewire hub" that is a shared medium. That means that all the machines would contend for the Firewire chain.

An Ethernet switch can allow each machine to send and recieve at full speed, and not be bothered by traffic that is not intended for it (not counting Broadcasts and non-pruned multicast traffic)

21. macrumors member

insert title here

I would think that its pretty obvious that May 14th is gonna be dedicated to servers, and servers alone. Speedbumps in the ibooks would not be appropriate...its is much more likely that they will be released in some random date or at MWNY.

i can't wait to see the rackmounts, that picture they had a while ago was so cool looking....and i also wonder if they will come with some kind of shelf system to keep several units together, or if you could just pile them up

22. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Re: insert title here

you probably could pile them up, or you could use <drum roll> A Rack

23. macrumors 6502

Webcast?

I assume not, but anybody know if there'll be a webcast for this tomorrow?

On that note, I was out of the office for the iPod introduction way back when - was there a webcast for that?

-- justin

24. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I just hope that these are going to be some kick @$$ servers. I just have one question... If they're rack servers, and require no monitor except for configuration, etc., do you think that Apple will also have a special display/keyboard/mouse unit to go with it? Kind of like a pull-out TiBook rack, except made from a cheaper metal, and maybe only with a regular 15" or 14" screen? I'm just wondering. It was brought to my mind, because I know that that's how some rack computers work. Or, you may just be able to put in a shelf and put a display on it. Either way... I just wondered if this new server would have any special accessories, like a seperate RAID array with hot-swappable drives, and the such... Anyways, we'll find out tomorrow.

25. macrumors member

Televised?!?

Will TechTV pick up the conference?!?