Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: Re: insert title here

Originally posted by peterjhill

you probably could pile them up, or you could use <drum roll> A Rack
<childish humor age=10>
hehe... he said rack...
</childish humor>

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Re: Webcast?

Originally posted by JtheLemur
I assume not, but anybody know if there'll be a webcast for this tomorrow?

On that note, I was out of the office for the iPod introduction way back when - was there a webcast for that?

-- justin

CNET usually show excerpts of these events, even if they are not webcast by Apple. I'm sure this was the case with the iPod launch, and certainly with last weeks WWDC keynote.

Q-bert

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
No hype, just servers

I think this event will probably be exactly what Apple says it is - the unveiling of new server hardware. I think it's very easy to go on for a few hours about server hardware, especially if you give the journalists some hands-on time, plus Q&A, etc. Anybody who's saying "it'd better be more" is just manufacturing unreasonable expectations out of thin air - Apple hasn't promised anything big, all they've done is invite the press to the event. Hell, even the invitation wording is understated - "Please join us for the unveiling of our new server," it says. How much more subdued than that can you get? This is definitely NOT hype on the level of MWSF or most other Apple events, since they know that server hardware appeals to a very small number of people.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Someone sent this on to me. It could be an early shot of the new racks slated for release tomorrow. Only time will tell.

rack.jpg

:)

blakespot

The Bender

macrumors member
May 8, 2002
Jerusalem
So... When is it, then?

The Bender wonders what PST is in GMT, so he can hang round the Mac sites and get a glimpse of the new baby at the earliest possible moment.

Uh, so it's -8... Dang, That means I don't get to see it until 8 pm, while Californians have already seen it at 9 am! No fair!

Or something.

Ouroboros

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2002
Oakland, CA
Cmon folks. Go look at the AppleStore specs for their servers right now. Their servers top out at dual gig G4's. I really don't think that Steve and Co. will call the press and simply go: "Hey dudes check this out, we've got this nifty new case for what we've been offering up till now. We're gonna raise the price too!! Yeah, uh, nothing new inside, same crap, but LOOK at this CASE man!"

It's gonna contain at least a new motherboard, so I'm sure they aren't so stupid as to:

1. not include some form of new RAM
2. not include some form of better hard drive functionality

If they just squashed everthing into a rectangle resembling the front of a Mac Truck with screws on the ends, people would laugh their asses off at Apple. Somethin a bit interesting will be in those boxes that will be a better technology than what is in the top of the line Pro boxes now.

And that's OK with me ;)

Oh and you guys have good senses of humor, I like those mock-up pics!!!

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by emdezet

So the rack sports a 2" floppy drive and DAT?
Excellent! Who needs DVD-RW anyway? :D

I think it will include a built in audio cassette tape drive for backing up your files (just like my old Ti 99/4A)

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by G4scott
do you think that Apple will also have a special display/keyboard/mouse unit to go with it? Kind of like a pull-out TiBook rack

That would be interesting. Dell actually sells racks, and they are pretty sweet. It is an enclosed cabinet, and you can remove all four sides, and lock them (server security is very important to some people). They sell a 1RU keyboard, trackball, Flat screen thingy that you can pull out, plus you can buy a KVM switch (keyboard, video, mouse) that will allow you to control 16 servers with that pull out console. It also allows you to mount the KVM switch and a 1 RU Ethernet Switch vertically, so they don't take up any room in your rack.

Apple needs to find some company that is willing to slap on Apple's logo onto their rack. Well they don't need to, but it would be cool :)

badika

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
lt would be great to see a business user line

I hope that all these side rumors of iBook updates coinciding with the server announcement could be a redesigned iBook for "enterprise" solutions where the bBook connects wirelessly or via gigabit to the new server. It would be a natural progression to add a server/laptop for office/enterprise users. This would make 3 very clear markets.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: lt would be great to see a business user line

Originally posted by badika
the bBook connects wirelessly or via gigabit to the new server.

I agree that the ideal machine for the Enterprise is some type of laptop. The Tibook is a bit much to replace $1000 windows machines. I don't think that they should put gigabit ethernet in any other laptop right now. It is a selling point for the TiBook, and honestly, most people don't need gigabit ethernet (I am connected via gig to a large enterprise network with lots of gig in the core, and it doesn't make checking mail or surfing the web any faster -- oh yeah, we have a gig ethernet connection to our network service provider :)

The 14" iBook is pretty welll situated for business users. It is fairly light, rugged, decent screen size. The next rev of it should be even more attractive. What will be key is Jaguar, where they say that they will have MS Exchange support and Dave like functions built in to the OS. Then they will have more to offer businesses who already have a large windows base.

Yeah, for the servers to take off, they do need to push on both sides of the client/server equation.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Originally posted by dukestreet
Is just showing the new rack servers enough to justify a big todo? Do you think Apple will have a few other things to show? I don't know, if the servers are an serious upgrade from the current specs on the G4 proline, it will be worth it. Too bad I'll be at the dentist during the show, I'll have read it after the fact.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't apple's servers already faster than most peecee servers? Do we really need a whole new server just for the rackmount feature?

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
PC servers are much faster than current Mac servers on a price for performance comparison - especially if you're not running Windows!

Let's hope that todays anouncements change all that.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by StealthRider

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't apple's servers already faster than most peecee servers? Do we really need a whole new server just for the rackmount feature?

Apple would certainally want you to think that, but the fact is that a nice IBM or Dell server that you could buy for the same price as the Mac servers (not rack mount), if you put Linux or BSD on it would be way faster at httpd than a Mac server.

For someone that does not use servers, rack-mounting might not seem like a big deal, just stick the thing on a shelf, but when you have hundreds of servers (or some places have thousands), than rack mounting allows for much more efficient space usage.

I hadn't even thought of the one market that Apple could really step into with their new servers...

The Ultimate Web Server Farm Machine!

For a company that either hosts other servers, or needs alot of servers of their own, the Apple Rack could be a great thing. Here you have a well supported OS. Add some good same day/next day onsite hardware support options, and they could really sell the thing. I am not sure if they do it already, but they would need to have multihoming on the same NIC, and allow Apache to run separate sites off of each IP. That way someone could host multiple sites on one mac.

I haven't played with server since version 1.0 of the OSX server, can you do that with the new software?

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Time zone calculator

A few people, on more than just this thread, keep asking, "When is xx:xx time in my country/state/province".

A simple google search for "time zone calculator" turned this up as the first response:
http://www.web-search.com/timezone.html

Next time, try using the internet - it's fun, educational and tasty too! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.