Apple Executives and Directors Required to Hold 3x - 10x Base Salary in AAPL Stock

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has changed its corporate bylaws [PDF] to require executives officers to hold three times their annual base salary in stock, with Non-Employee Directors holding five times their annual retainer and Tim Cook required to hold ten times his annual base salary in stock.

The requirement for executives went into effect February 6th, while the requirement for Cook and the Directors went into effect back in November.

From The Wall Street Journal:
    Proposal No. 5, an item that was voted on at the recent Apple Shareholder's Meeting, would have required executives to hold 33 percent of their equity pay until retirement. Apple felt this requirement was too onerous and instead adopted stockholding requirements relating to base yearly salary.

The base salaries of most senior executives will be $875,000 for 2013, while Tim Cook's salary will be $1.4 million this year. Non-employee board members receive a $50,000 yearly retainer.

Article Link: Apple Executives and Directors Required to Hold 3x - 10x Base Salary in AAPL Stock

2. macrumors 6502

So if Steve Jobs was still here, his $1 salary would mean....

3. macrumors 65816

I really think you need to move on, let Steve go buddy. We have Tim and Jonny and the team now. I know bereavement is tough. However you got to let it go.

4. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

1.4 mil doesn't sound like much.

5. macrumors member

It still amazes me how much some people make.

6. macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Thank you very much!

7. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Wonder if Jony Ive has to comply since he's not a named executive officer of the company. :confused:

8. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

He gets all his money from stocks anyway, since I believe they're taxed a lot less.

9. zin
    macrumors 6502

It's also 40 times the average retail store employee's salary and 245 times the average salary of somebody assembling the products.

It's all relative.

10. macrumors 6502

bassfingers

From my experience, the consequences of his decisions merits at least 40x that of any retail employee.

11. macrumors 65816

topgunn

And Steve Jobs' family is required to hold 100 times his annual salary in Apple stock or 1/6 of a share.

12. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

And also 1/48th of Ralph Lauren's. It's tiny in comparison to other CEO's of major corporations.

13. macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

So they have 5 years to get to this level. I also see nothing regarding the timing or periodical nature of confirmation. Do they have to constantly review and determine if they meet this as the stock price fluctuates or is it just checked periodically (eg: 4 times a year)? Seems a bit ... odd.

14. macrumors regular

Pretty sure it was a joke. Don't know how that qualifies as bereavement.

15. macrumors regular

I think most people would agree the executives pay should be based on the stock value and not a fixed annual salary that doesnt rise or fall based on company performance. All that matters is total compensation and Tim Cook certainly is being rewarded with significant compensation.

16. macrumors newbie

Sarcasm radiates off that post.

17. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

Well thank god they give these guys enough in stock options to have and hold this amount pretty easily.

18. macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

Good to see. More companies should take this approach. I've always felt that the higher up the food chain you are, the more your compensation should be based on company performance. For CEOs it should be 75% to 90% of the total package. Company takes a loss for the year, then your pay goes way down. Companies that pay executives bonuses when they lose money should be driven out of business.

19. macrumors regular

lwapps

But then how do you account for a decreased in performance due to factors which are out of your control. A CEO would say it was unfair that his pay was decreased if the company takes a loss if, say, the economy went into a recession that year.

It sounds like a good idea but I think it becomes a lot more complicated in practice.

20. macrumors 65816

Swift

1.4 million?

Yeah, but he's just selling people a million copies of something they make.

Now, for big money, go into healthcare... the CEOs really make out blackmailing people to pay to save their lives.

21. macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Or banking for much the same reason.

22. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

Uh no they don't. You assume that stock price is a direct function of how well a company is being run and that is ridiculous. Look at the different financial ratios and compare say Google and Apple. You will see that the stock price can move quite independently of good management by executives and objective measures of performance.

Also, lets say my compensation is all tied to stock performance. Let's see... how could I quickly pump up my stock price so I could sell and make a bunch of money. I could cut expenses. What is really expensive to companies? Oh yeah, people! They cost a lot. I'll layoff 5000 employees, cut expenses pump up my stock and make a fortune. Guess what? This has happened more times than you would like to know. I would rather have a CEO draw a huge salary than give him compensation that he has the direct ability to manipulate for his own selfish desires.

23. macrumors 6502

in my job, if my company is failing - for whatever reason - I get paid less, through our bonus structure.

It doesnt matter if the problem is CEOrelated, or the market taking a dive, I get paid less. Hell, if head office change stuff that ultimately removes my depart,ments ability to make money, irrespective of the value we provide, we get less $$..

thats life.

CEOs should play by same rules.

24. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Maybe Al Gore can get Al Jazeera to kick in his share? :eek:

25. macrumors 6502a

Oh, the hardships these people must endure!