Apple Exercise iPod Tempo Patents

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 25, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Hrmph reports on recent patent applications from Apple which revealed that they have been working on other exercise-related features for the iPod. The recent Apple/Nike partnership Sport Kit revealed earlier this week could just be the start.

The Nike Sport Kit incorporates an accelerometer placed in your shoe that communicates wirelessly with your iPod nano. The iPod nano then displays additional information about your exercise including time, distance, calories burned and pace.

The patent application reveals that Apple has also been working on additional features that could sync your exercise to your music. One possibility described is syncing your music to the same tempo as your run.

Tempos could be adjusted based on user preference, but sample menus also reveal a "Training" option which could offer different tempo profiles, increasing and decreasing over time.

2. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Can't wait to try this with Metallica. :p

3. macrumors regular

this would be a real FIGATA.

HAPPY OWNER OF A 12" PB

4. Editor emeritus

longofest

The Nano is now officially the exerciser's iPod.

That is why I don't own one :D

Sad, isn't it?

5. macrumors newbie

mac-since-199o

Christ, I don't exercise.
    I sit here all day reading mac forums.:D

6. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's pretty sweet...any chance they'll make it compatable with a 1st gen or 3rd gen iPod? :p

7. macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

That would be a pretty cool feature if I had a Nano and could get up off my butt and go run, but that ain't gonna happen.

8. macrumors newbie

Dude, a feature that plays music to how fast you run would be sweet. I already have a playlist of songs that match my walking speed. It sort of makes it feel like you're in a movie or that the world centers around you when things are in sync like that. I wonder if anyone on the street notices how my walking pace will suddenly change without any apparent reason.

9. macrumors 6502a

I can see the lawsuits roll in as a rash of speed metal-induced heart attacks sweep though the running communities across the nation. :eek:

10. macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

The real question is can it play Eye of the Tiger when I'm running up stairs... :p

11. macrumors member

Dark Horse

a what now?

12. macrumors regular

octoberdeath

sounds ingenious. apple really is a leader in the market!

13. macrumors newbie

When can I hook this here iPod to my bicycle?

I saw that Lance Armstrong was one of the Nike/iPod promotors . . . I hope that Lance being involed is some kind of hint of what's to come!

14. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, then people like you can sue Apple for selling an iPod that seems to play no music for most of the day.

15. macrumors regular

Figata
    in italian means
    "too cool".....

:)

16. macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

A brilliant idea for 4-to-the-floor house music. If, like me, you listen to a lot of math-rock (all sorts of crazy time signatures) and post-hardcore/emo (much of which is in 6/4) ... not so good.

17. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

The tempo thing sounds kinda dumb to me, I don't wanna listen to my music with a funky temp...

But the Nike shoe thing with running stats sounds pretty cool.

18. macrumors 68020

I love this idea! Got to get me some Taylor Hicks songs!

19. macrumors newbie

Is there any reason why this shouldnt be compatible with the ipod video?

20. macrumors member

More exciting than excercise -- I love the idea of iTunes going through my music and setting tempo tags for everything. I was just thinking the other day that it would be great if I could somehow automate creating a playlist of slow music, or dancey music, etc. This would be a really awesome addition.

21. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What about a tempo sync for lovers? It could be placed near a bed and adjust the music according to the vibrations. Barry White with no/little movement... etc. :)

22. macrumors member

It doesn't adjust the tempo of the song, but chooses a song that matches the tempo that you are running at.

23. macrumors regular

Or the theme from ROCKY.....

"That would be a pretty cool feature if I had a Nano and could get up off my butt and go run"

Can we say electric shock? The batteries are suppose to be better.:rolleyes:

24. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

imagine walking with pink floyd... lol
    that'd be something like one step every 2 seconds :D

my dad runs a bit, and when he first saw this Nike+Apple thing, he thought you put your nano into your shoe :p

25. macrumors 6502

You may not realize it, but it is done daily on the radio. Most radio stations use this kind of method to speed up the play time of a song. I can asure you that you don't notice the difference. The nifty thing here is that it adjust based on user input.