Apple Expanding Best Buy Presence With Intel Macs?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

ZDNet is reporting that Best Buy retail stores are beginning to stock and promote other Intel-based Macs in addition to already-stocked Mac Minis and iPods.

Best Buy originally began carrying Mac Mini's in its retail stores last year.

Update: While Best Buy's website does indeed show that Apple's laptops and consumer desktops are "Available at most stores", this label appears to be misleading as most stores outside of California do not appear to have stock of the machines (yet?).

Update 2: has posted a photo gallery of a Best Buy store that is stocking and prominantly displaying Apple's complete lineup. Of note, a PowerMac is also among the display models, but was not reported to be among the latest initiative at the retail stores.
  2. macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    This is good. As always, the more places selling Macs, means the more places where people can see them, and the more people buy, and market share goes up.

I will still go to an Apple Store though, although a Best Buy is right near me, I would rather go to the Apple Cube.
  3. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Here we go again. I remember this happening when the Mac Mini came out. After a few months the phenomenon died out leaving random components left in store. It was very sad to see. The Best Buy employees didn't know a thing about the machines.
  4. macrumors member

Jan 24, 2006
    The Woodlands, TX
    excellent news! i just hope the Best Buy sales staff doesn't leave a sour taste in customers' mouths by not knowing sh*t about the machines or their capabilities. either way, way to get the presence out there even further Apple!

5. macrumors 68040

w00t!! Where does Joe Public go to buy a new computer? Circuit city, Best Buy or Comp USA. Looks like all we need is Circuit City and Apple is on its way world domination! :D
  6. macrumors 65816

lord patton

Jun 6, 2005
    Yes, I know what you mean. However, the iMac is much more attractive and eye-catching. It will hold it's own on any shelf.

I think this is great news.
  7. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Yeah, I just hope it works a little better this time around. The $699 Mini bundles some stores were sporting were easily passed over by $399 eMachines + CRT.
  8. macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    This has been tried before, Hopefully it will catch on this time around. Well educated employees will be the key.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2005
    big box = big waste of time

first best buy opened in canada about 2 years ago or so. there were big queues of people and big discounts for one day, then everything went back to normal: no choice unless you select one of the 5 brands of electronics they carry. to have apple, a high-end computer manufacturer in such a low-end shoppe is a bit dysmal. best buy has this stigma of being a garage-sale of sorts, excpet minus the unique selection. great for market i guess, but terrible for image.
  10. macrumors 68040

I asked a Best Buy employee a simple question regarding a cable and was met with a blank stare.

LOL, I totally missed that. Good call's. :D
  11. macrumors 6502a

Apr 4, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
  12. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    Minis vs. Mini's

I know it is not a possessive noun or a contraction but "Mini's" looks better. :rolleyes:

They died out around Summer of 2005.
  13. macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2005
    Ottawa, Canada
    My Best Buy in Ottawa Canada has had the intel macs and macbook pros for awhile now...
  14. macrumors member

Jan 17, 2006
    new york, ny

It's a great price for a powerful desktop/monitor combo. when i brought my 20" home from school, my friends had no idea what it was, and had a hard time believing there was no tower. hopefully it will gain mainstream status soon... this can only be good news.
  15. macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2005
    I use to work at the big blue box of hell when they first started carrying apples. Man...I was threatened so many times by the supe because I was selling applecare rather than best buy's PSP.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2005
    I believe it's up to the manager of the store.

At my store, either they don't even have the Mac minis out or they are very well hidden. :rolleyes:

I went there once (before I knew crap about Macs) and, asking where the Macs were, was responded to with "Macs? We don't have those here."

Both of you are wrong. It's "Mac minis." :) Apple does not capitalize "mini" for some reason. I guess it looks kinda cooler.
  17. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    Apple is the future. These PCs are just garbage.
  18. macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005

the pictures that Best Buy has on its site for the Macbook are pictures of the MacBook pro...people might buy the MacBook thinking that what they are getting is the metal laptop, and they will be surprised by a white or black macbook.

this obviously only applies to people who look online...but it looks like best buy isnt doing too well...yet.
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2003
    state of confusion.

Not only that, but click on the macrumors supplied laptop link and you can read this:

I don't see a powerbook or iBook ANYWHERE on that page. lol :confused: :D ;)
  20. macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    Wow...yeah I hear working at Best Buy sucks but, if I was confined to selling Macs there I'd love it. And if they don't like me selling AppleCare they can fire me :p haha. The one store near us used to sell Mac Minis, it was hidden away with a crappy wireless mouse (which it's batteries were taken out) and the desktop was riddled with "untitled folders" and barley anything in the Dock. They need to put a restricted desktop up or an Apple demo video, it's absolutely crazy. I recently went back and I don't see the Mac mini at all, I didn't even ask because they idiots there probably would have no idea what I was talking about :p
  21. macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2006
    I was in ours the other week and I asked to the guy working in the computer section "do you have the new macbooks in stock?" and he just looked at me like i was an alien and said "huh?" What garbage service he should have at least know about the macbook pros sitting not 2 feet from him.
  22. macrumors regular

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is BAD NEWS!

Folks, this is not good news. It's actually BAD NEWS.

No matter how great this may actually sound on paper, it doesn't work in the real world for a variety of reasons:

1. All Best Buy employees are Windows users. No Best Buy employees use the Mac. They know nothing about the Mac.

2. All Best Buy employees receive "spiffs" (commissions) for selling Windows-based PC's. They do not receive commissions for selling Macs.

3. All Best Buy employees neglect the Macs in their stores, and therefore leave them in a disheveled state with nobody knowing what to do with them.

4. There is ZERO Mac software available for purchase in Best Buy, so there's no software to sell along with the Mac. Best Buy employees are very quick to point this out when explaining to someone why they shouldn't buy a Mac. "You're gonna buy a Mac? Are you crazy? There's NO SOFTWARE available for the Mac! Look on our shelves -- not ONE piece of software here runs on the Mac!"

5. A vast majority of the accessories in Best Buy are NOT Mac compatible. MP3 players (which also provides nice spiffs to employees), multifunction printers, joysticks, keyboards, etc... many of them are simply not Mac compatible. And yes, I've stood in Best Buy as I've watched employees steer customers AWAY from the iPod, saying that the iPod gets "horrible reviews". Total B.S., but their commission increases by selling non-Apple MP3 players.

6. Macs are MORE EXPENSIVE than PC's. No matter how you slice it, this is true. You can walk out of Best Buy with a $299 PC (+ monitor + keyboard + mouse). You can't do this with a Mac. And the people that shop at Best Buy are looking for bargain-basement prices.

So any announcement of this sort only makes Apple look WORSE. When a customer walks into a Best Buy, and sees a bunch of Macs that are UNSUPPORTED AND HAVE NO SOFTWARE to go along with them, not to mention the fact that the PC's are HALF THE PRICE of the Macs and the employees are PUSHING the customers to buy the Macs... NOBODY is going to walk out with a Mac.

It simply makes Apple's image look worse than it already does at stores like Best Buy.

This is horrible news. Apple should be PULLING MACS OUT of Best Buy altogether, not putting MORE MACS INTO Best Buy.

Don't believe me?? Hey, don't take my word for it. Spend 30 minutes at your local Best Buy and take a look for yourself at how poorly the Mac is treated & discriminated against.
  23. Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    You might want to cut back on the blanket statements a bit. Overuse of hyperbole results in people tuning you out.
  24. macrumors newbie

May 31, 2006
    oddly enough, I have only seen mac minis at my local bb once (Orland Park, IL) but I was there with a friend a few days ago and a brand new iMac 1.83 17 inch was sitting there and I was like holy s***, so I showed him the usefulness of boot camp, first time I used it and I was fine. I was nonetheless amazed to see a mac in that store, running. But there was a note saying that all mac computers had to be ordered from that stored and picked up at a later date, and the flip up thing showed all the specs for the new intel macs, nothing about PMG5's or macbooks.
  25. macrumors regular

Mar 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach Ca
    The best buy by my house only carries the ipods.
    How ever bestbuy online (the web site) carries all mac products.