Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the release of the Apple Watch has seen a boom in third-party docks and stands for the device, those accessories have needed the stock charger that Apple supplies to charge the Apple Watch. However, Apple will soon allow manufacturers to make official third-party Apple Watch docks and stands with integrated chargers, according to 9to5Mac.

mophieapplewatchdock.jpg
Mophie's Watch Dock with non-integrated Apple Watch charger​

The change is coming for manufacturers in Apple's Made for Apple Watch program, which is similar to the Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad program, known more simply as the MFi program. This will allow manufacturers to obtain the charging pad at the end of the Apple Watch charging cable so that they can install them in their dock and stand accessories. Previously, users had to insert their own charging cables into third-party stands and docks, making those products a little complicated to set up.

However, the charging components are currently only available in "sample quantities" and official plans for accessories with integrated chargers cannot be submitted for approval. It's unknown when the first Apple Watch docks and stands with integrated chargers will be available.

Article Link: Apple Expanding Made for Apple Watch Program to Include Stands With Integrated Chargers

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
As much as MFi seems like a money grab at first, it is nice to not have the frustrating and awful experience of data cables that result in data loss, slow charge speeds, and the various other problems that microUSB cables suffer from. On the other hand, it would be nice to not pay $20 for a cable, or $29 for a watch charger.

Every (uncertified) third-party apple watch band I've purchased has fitment issues. None have fallen off, but none of them are as flush with the case as Apple's first party bands are. I just wish it didn't cost so much more (like, 3-10x more) to get good quality stuff.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I could rewrite this article but the short version is

- if you don't pay apple for certification (adding to the overall cost of your product that you pass onto the customer) your charger won't work (as apple flip the - this accessory is not supported switch - in watch os like they do in iOS)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I must be tired - because it took me a few reads of the headline to get what was meant. Surely there could have been quotes or something around "Made for Apple Watch" :)

Reactions: Arran

whattheheckwhattheheck

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
Walla walla
great.. so now with integrated charger.. this mophie piece of crap will be $125 and not $59 .. stupid.. the MFi program is a money grab no matter how you look at it - its a closed system - and with cult following.. must.. pay.. the.. money.. now.. (distant gaze)

mophieapplewatchdock.jpg

Mophie's Watch Dock with non-integrated Apple Watch charger

The change is coming for manufacturers in Apple's Made for Apple Watch program, which is similar to the Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad program, known more simply as the MFi program. This will allow manufacturers to obtain the charging pad at the end of the Apple Watch charging cable so that they can install them in their dock and stand accessories. Previously, users had to insert their own charging cables into third-party stands and docks, making those products a little complicated to set up.

However, the charging components are currently only available in "sample quantities" and official plans for accessories with integrated chargers cannot be submitted for approval. It's unknown when the first Apple Watch docks and stands with integrated chargers will be available.

Article Link: Apple Expanding Made for Apple Watch Program to Include Stands With Integrated Chargers[/QUOTE]

Reactions: awer25

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Then it's not for you. Plenty of people get a lot of use out of it.
Not true. It likely is for him. The difficulty for Apple is that it's impossible to fully appreciate that fact until you've actually owned one for some time. Then it's a no brainer.

The stands, OTOH, I really don't get. Why does the watch need to be held up high at an angle while it's is predominantly off and you're asleep. It doesn't even flash notifications when it's off your wrist.

A stand just seems like top-heavy clutter on your nightstand: Something else to knock over.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Not true. It likely is for him. The difficulty for Apple is that it's impossible to fully appreciate that fact until you've actually owned one for some time. Then it's a no brainer.

The stands, OTOH, I really don't get. Why does the watch need to be held up high at an angle while it's is predominantly off and you're asleep. It doesn't even flash notifications when it's off your wrist.

A stand just seems like top-heavy clutter on your nightstand: Something else to knock over.

It's not top-heavy clutter.

Many people buy the Apple Watch with the $50 Sport band.

Many owners who want such a charging stand will want to place their watches on the stand with the band open and hanging down. The longer strap half hangs down about six inches from the watch body. So the stand wants to be about that tall.

Such a stand would result in LESS clutter, because, when I put my watch on the charger on a flat surface, I have to spread the open straps out flat, and that takes up a lot of space. A stand would be nice.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Such a stand would result in LESS clutter, because, when I put my watch on the charger on a flat surface, I have to spread the open straps out flat, and that takes up a lot of space. A stand would be nice.

No. It's more clutter because it's an additional object that's physically present on your nightstand. But it might use less real-estate - I'll give you that.

But how does this new "Nightstand Mode" in watch OS2 figure into it? The watch needs to be on it's side and quite stable so you can, bleary-eyed, and with impaired fine motor skill, whack the crown straight DOWN to see the time at 4 AM.

nightstandmode-5.jpg

Reactions: Nebulance

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I still don't get the appeal of the apple watch. I really don't see it as a must have device at all. I have zero desire for one. But that's me.

Your response has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Just why did you feel it necessary to make your post? No one really cares that you don't like the watch! Please take your don't like comment to the "don't like" thread. Thanks.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
No. It's more clutter because it's an additional object that's physically present on your nightstand. But it might use less real-estate - I'll give you that.

But how does this new "Nightstand Mode" in watch OS2 figure into it? The watch needs to be on it's side and quite stable so you can, bleary-eyed, and with impaired fine motor skill, whack the crown straight DOWN to see the time at 4 AM.

Hmmm, how about you reach out, place your thumb under the lower side, and press your crown with your index finger?

Takes about the same effort as me fumbling around in the dark to flip my alarm switch off and on. (*edit - I see you meant to see the time, not after the alarm has gone off, but a voice command could work for that also)

Maybe there will be a voice command: *"What time is it", "Alarm off", "Snooze" or "LEAVE ME THE @#$% ALONE" - There should be. It's plugged in anyways, the mic could listen all night.

I submitted the voice command idea as feedback to Apple. Maybe they'll listen?!

Last edited:

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007

The stands likely are for you. It's just impossible to fully appreciate that fact until you've actually owned one for some time. Then it's a no brainer. :)

Reactions: JCrz and Arran

Prattdizzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
NSW Australia

nightstandmode-5.jpg
Actually nightstand mode turns on at the slightest of movements of the watch. In fact all I do is lightly tap my bedside table and the time is displayed... It is and extremely useful feature and also the friends button is now the off button for the alarm whilst the crown is the snooze button.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA

nightstandmode-5.jpg
Yeah not sure how nightstand mode will effect the current stands that hold the watch in the portrait view and being apple certified

Reactions: Arran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.