Apple Expands iPhone and iPad Recycling Program to UK, Germany, and France

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last August, Apple expanded its recycling program in the United States to allow customers to turn in their used iPhones and iPads for Apple gift cards.

[​IMG]

As noted by Macworld UK and Macerkopf.de [Google translation], Apple has once again expanded its recycling efforts by bringing a similar initiative to the UK, France, and Germany. But rather than offering payment in the form of an Apple gift card, the program in these countries offers users cash deposited into their bank accounts.
    The program, offered in conjunction with the German arm of electronics recycler Dataserv, builds upon Apple's existing programs for recycling Macs, PCs, batteries, iPods, and mobile phones.

Apple supports recycling efforts in a number of other countries through third-party organizations with details for each region of the globe available from Apple's main recycling program pages.

Article Link: Apple Expands iPhone and iPad Recycling Program to UK, Germany, and France

2. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Certainly this market is already incredibly well served in the UK due to WEEE. There are countless companies offering cash for old phones, including the network operators themselves at contract renewal.

Apple will need to differentiate themselves somehow...

3. macrumors newbie

Nice one, Apple

iPhone 3GS 32GB (white, working condition)

cash4phones: £111.11
    Mazuma Mobile: £108.00
    envirofone: £102.11
    Apple: £52.00

Nice one, Apple.

4. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

I can't see what value Apple is adding to the market in the UK

I've always used mazuma and they offer far higher prices (£215 for a 32GB iPhone 4) and don't care if the devices are scratched as long as they work.

Also they pay hard cash rather than gift vouchers and the money is in your account within hours of receiving the phone: none of this bait and switch nonsense with an "evaluation" of the phone when they receive it - if your phone works you get your cash!

5. Guest

WeegieMac

My 20" Aluminium iMac from mid 2009?

Cost me £829 ... offering me £147 if I wanted to sell it.

iPhone 4 16GB black? Cost me £500 new almost a year ago to the day (warranty expires in 2 days) ... £177.

I'd rather rub my balls with sandpaper.

6. macrumors 68000

musio

Really? Where did you get apple's pricing? this is a joke! Oh dear apple..

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 6502

mrboult

That's is amusingly poor on Apple's part.

I nearly soiled my self with laughter at that comment.

9. macrumors 68030

They are: incredibly bad value.

I have an old 2G 8GB in the cupboard. They go for £40 - 50 on Ebay. The site offered me £7. If I threw in the charging cable, which is actually still useful to me and worth more than that on it's own.

Phazer

10. macrumors newbie

You also have to take into account the usual tricks played by these people. They will offer say £100 online and you send it in and then they offer a lower price based on some random reason, e.g. scratched, etc.

The £52 offered by Apple is more realistic and probably what the others will offer in reality.

Edit: Reviews like these are typical of such recycle companies (this for envirofone):
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews98440.html

11. macrumors 68000

Most people that take advantage of apples program are not worrying about getting every penny they can but more interested in recycling an old device so it doesn't end up in a land fill.

12. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Other companies that buy your old phone don't landfill them - they are recycled: This from Mazuma Mobile

I've never used envirofone, but have recycled loads of old phones through mazuma and have never had so much as a single penny less than the offer made online and they pay cash into your bank within hours of receiving the phone

Whatever way you look at it, the apple option is not a good deal compared to the rest of the market

13. macrumors G5

Macman45

£182 for a perfect 4? Sorry, but plenty of sites here in the UK are offering substantially more. I re-cycle......to friends!

14. macrumors 6502a

Bottom feeders. Its a scam.

Recycled=Sold to third worlders at exorbitant prices no doubt.

Doesn't Apple at least donate the usable stuff to schools etc?

15. macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Poor prices. Use eBay or one of the other countless "recycling" websites.

16. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I've sold quite a few old things online to these recycle sites, phones, iPods, digital cameras etc and never had a reduction made. Apple is offering poor value here, the UK electronic recycling market is already pretty saturated.

17. macrumors 65816

Who cares? Ultimately you're recycling - if a company can make a profit on that and employ people because of it? Fair play to them.

18. macrumors newbie

Well known auction site £200+

Just saying.

19. macrumors newbie

I know, you wonder why people use these recyclers. There again, maybe people cant be bothered with the scammers on other sites!

20. Guest

garybUK

I have used them, why?

1) Auction sites minus insertion fees
    2) Risk's involved with sending items to buyers (who's to say the winner isn't a scammer)
    3) Ease of use, these recyclers are a LOT less hassle, they send you pre-paid postage and offer insured mail options
    4) Can send in batches of multiples, I sent in 4 phones at last upgrade.

Apple's prices are a bit of a con to be honest, i bet they use a lot of these for refurbs.

21. macrumors 6502

These prices are laughable. I normally recycle my phones via CEX and get a decent price in a store close to my home. Apple don't seem particularly serious about this 'offer'.

22. macrumors newbie

OK, well Apple really offers close to nothing $ for those used phones.. Any online trade-in company would pay 2-3 times that $. I suggest using websites like GS as a price reference when trying to get rid of your older Apple products.