Apple Expands Testing of OS X Mountain Lion to Select Retail Store Staff

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 22, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

With OS X Mountain Lion set to launch to the public sometime next month, 9to5Mac reports that Apple has asked select members of its retail store staff to begin testing the software.
    Not only will the program provide additional testers for Apple as it expands beyond registered Mac developers, but it will also give retail store staff a head start on gaining familiarity with the forthcoming operating system before formal training begins.

Apple is almost certainly wrapping up work on OS X Mountain Lion, if it hasn't completed it already, with the company issuing a "near-final" build to developers at its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month. With OS X Mountain Lion being a Mac App Store exclusive, Apple can continue to work on the operating system until relatively close to the launch date given that it does not need to build in time for pressing millions of DVDs, but the company will want some time to ensure that the golden master build is behaving properly before it is released to the public.

Article Link: Apple Expands Testing of OS X Mountain Lion to Select Retail Store Staff
  2. macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Interesting, AFAIK this is the first time they've done this. I suppose it will help for training purposes, though Apple Store employees are aided in that ML is mostly the same as Lion, with a few refinements.
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2010
    Ozone Park, New York
    It would be great to be able to have a sneak peak of mountain lion! :)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2011
    So regular employees now serve as beta testers as well?
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2010
    California and Texas
  6. macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    This makes me think about how Google rolls out services. "You're invited!". If only Apple Staff could invite us to join in
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feb 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I really hope there is one Apple employee out there who can feedback the dual screening issue with fullscreen apps that is currently such a bane in Lion. I seriously hope there's a fix to this in Mountain Lion! Pleeeeease?
  8. macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2010
    You can buy that perk for $100. Just sign up for the developer program.
  9. macrumors member

Jul 22, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    Developers focus on debugging, noticing performance issues and their causes, etc.
    "Regular" users, such as Apple Store employees, will look at the Mac OS X and report daily-usage bugs and inconveniences.

I think it's pretty cool.
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2007
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    I wonder if they'll release a much more expensive USB version like last time?

Or maybe they think a year is enough time for everyone to have gotten high-speed internet.... :D
  11. macrumors 6502

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm thinking the GM is ready for release with this happening...
  12. macrumors 68020

Mar 31, 2010
    The ability to fix last minute bugs and shorter lead times. Another nice benefit of digital delivery systems like the Mac App Store. :)
  13. macrumors 68000

May 28, 2008
    I am running developer preview 4 with the latest update that came out earlier this week. What is the issue you are having so I can see if it still exists?
  14. rafaltrus, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

macrumors member

Jul 22, 2011
    Champaign, IL
    Although I agree it is a hassle for some people, you have to admit that Apple is really pushing/leading the cloud industry. Abandoning optical discs, while making Macs even more popular, lets Apple put some pressure on internet providers!
  15. macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2004
    Great I can't wait, looking forward to the increase in iCloud support. Though, I still wish it had a file system in the cloud.

Does anyone know if 'Documents in the Cloud' supports any type of folder option, or does it just show all your files in one list when the application launches?

I like to keep my pages documents in folders, for example a resume folder.
  16. macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I think his issue is this: Let's say you have multiple monitors, say a 27" display and a 17" MacBook Display... you're doing work on the 27" but want to use the full-screen feature of an app on the 17" display. You click the icon in the upper-right to make it full screen and it turns your 27" display into a huge screen of linen!

If you could full-screen apps on one display and still allow you to have access to working on the other display, that would be tremendous, but as of now (Lion), you can't.
  17. macrumors member

Jan 23, 2008

Looks like it is fixed; check the first feature under system.
  18. SvP
    macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2009
  19. macrumors member

Jun 18, 2011
    There is a Thread in the 10.8 Forum here about it, in short: It's fixed, it should work like one would expect it.
  20. macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

Mar 5, 2009
    It's about Fing time. I hated it when I was working the Genius bar when a new OS came out because none of us knew anything about it or saw it.
  21. macrumors member

Dec 10, 2008
    The only thing I care about is performance and stability improvements. Lion is a bloated and buggy disaster. Every day I use my Mac I regret "up" grading from Snow Leopard. The longer I use Lion the more I hate it and I've loved every previous OS X release to date. I'm really hoping Mountain Lion fixes this mess.
  22. macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2012
    Wild Idea

Ya know, it'd be cool if they expanded prerelease versions to like one device per apple store. So there could possibly be a MacBook Pro running the gm of mountain lion and an iPad running the beta of IOS 6. All just so more people become familiar with what's coming so they feel inclined to update. Not everyone watches the keynote and even fewer actually use an iOS or OSX beta before release.
  23. macrumors 68020

Mar 31, 2010
    Actually it turns your 27" display into a usable second monitor for any extra windows or panels for that particular full screened app. If it instead worked the way you described, there would be no way to get those additional panels or windows on the second monitor without other stuff cluttering in the background while in full screen. Thus defeating one of the main purposes of full screen mode.

Of course most people don't realize that full screen mode in Lion allows full screen apps to have secondary windows and panels displayed on the second monitor so they think the second monitor can't be used for anything while in full screen when that isn't really the case.

Apple needs to make people more aware of that functionality. And a lot of app developers haven't enabled that functionality in their apps yet so they are at fault as well.

Also in Mountain Lion, you can now choose to have the main window on either monitor with the additional content for the app on the other monitor. So the 27" will be filled with the app itself and the 17" will contain the inspector panels or whatever else while in full screen.
  24. macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2012
    It's been stated in the gm beta that mountain lion provides users with the ability to run multiple full screen apps on multiple monitors.
  25. macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

Jun 6, 2005
    Dark Side Of The Moon
    That's probably the best thing about this plan... I would imagine that could be a major hassle.