Apple Experimenting With RFID-Enabled iPhone Prototypes?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Near Field Communications World reports (via 9 to 5 Mac) that Apple is rumored to be testing a prototype of its next-generation iPhone equipped with a radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip. The rumor comes from a "highly reliable source" who provided the information to Einar Rosenberg, Chief Technology Officer of Narian Technologies. Rosenberg writes:
    Apple has filed several patent applications related to RFID, which uses low-power radio waves to allow devices to interact over short ranges. The technology is currently being used in a number of settings, including electronic vehicle toll and mass transit system fare collection and contactless credit card transaction implementations.

Article Link: Apple Experimenting With RFID-Enabled iPhone Prototypes?

2. macrumors G4

Small White Car

That'd be pretty sweet.

Of course, there'll people who won't trust it, but is it any less secure than the piece of plastic in your wallet currently doing the job?

3. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very interesting. This would put Apple way ahead of anyone, if true.

Full quote from 9to5:

4. macrumors 6502

720p recording would be even cooler

5. macrumors 6502

mobi

It already is the "Swiss Champ"

6. macrumors 68000

NightFox

Oyster card on my iPhone? Bring it on!

7. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

This will bring nothing but trouble. Drivers licenses, passports, credit cards, and everything else with RFID will be more and more at risk.

8. macrumors 6502

Oh (big) brother.

This could be great but won't this be giving out too much information?

9. macrumors member

Interesting. I wonder how this could be used. Thoughts?

10. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

If you're worried about that, you should get off the Internet.

11. macrumors 6502a

Wow, this fits into the puzzle right next to the "iTunes as a payment service" and "hardened security" pieces.

12. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have no idea what the heck RFID is and why we need it in an iPhone. Can anyone give an example of how this technology can be used in the iPhone?

13. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

The Apocalypse!!! It's Coming!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

14. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Sounds awesome to me. I will not be truly happy until my iPhone can replace both my keys and my credit card!

15. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

They used to say that about online banking and online shopping. Of course, using my credit card online is infinitely more secure than handing it over to a schmuck bartender at my local O'Maley's Pub.

16. macrumors newbie

yeah, bad news.:(

17. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

RFID isn't secure. You can sit at a street corner with a reader and pick up people's pasport info without them knowing. Until they some how change that I'm totally against RFID.

19. macrumors 6502

macshill

Yeah, so long as you're confident some poor schmuck doesn't click the wrong e-mail ("Dear Chase subscriber. Your account may have been compromised. Please click on this convenient link to verify your account."; notice the generic "Chase subscriber", not personalized name). ;)

[phishing schemes]

20. macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Well having an RFID reader in the iPhone/iPod touch could simplify purchases instore if apple chipped all the products they sell.

21. macrumors 6502a

I've worked in mobile communications RFID project. I can tell you the real application is in targeted advertising. Naturally you can do some nice and cool stuff with it but wast majority of partners are interested about the possibility of delivering targeted place of purchase advertising etc. From consumers standpoint I think the mobile communication manufacturers should pay for the RFID upgrade... :eek:

22. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Most common use is toll road or subway train passes. I have a card for the subway and box in my car for tolls Both are 'charged' by credit card payments when I want to add more money.

You could, with this, use your phone to gain access to a train and have your fare paid through iTunes (or something) instead of having a whole seperate account and card just for that.

23. piz
    macrumors newbie

Thousands of possibilities. I hope for a RFID-Reader und -Sender
    For example that could be used instead of a transponder as electric door opener

24. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

A reader and an embedded tag would make a lot of sense for all kinds of inter-device communication.

25. macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

If I read this correctly, the possibilities are exciting. Combined w/ the app store, the possibilities are endless.