Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
S3 (at least) has had facial-recognition unlocking from launch.

It works quite a bit better than I had expected.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Here comes Apple, late to the party as usual. But they'll still call it innovative b/c it's Apple.

Wait a minute you mean Android has that feature of using a smart watch to unlock a smart phone? Prove it.

Or the use of photos and matching information to unlock the phone? Prove it. I haven't heard of this stuff with Android. This IS innovation. Read the whole article instead of the title before commenting. Now go back to your corner and continue connecting dots.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Re: People talking about this being done by Android

The patent application was submitted Q3 2011, not recently. It's not like patents get published immediately.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Think about you are in a school class or church and while session is going on you want to check email. I'm sure many people will look at you because you break the silence while unlocking your phone. :p
Well if that was the ONLY way to unlock your phone, then I guess you have a point.

neott

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
Rectal Scanning its the future.

Retinal, Retinal scanning damn it......

Now you mention it, I might be onto something here.... hmmm <Chin Scratch>

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Wait a minute you mean Android has that feature of using a smart watch to unlock a smart phone? Prove it.

Or the use of photos and matching information to unlock the phone? Prove it. I haven't heard of this stuff with Android. This IS innovation. Read the whole article instead of the title before commenting. Now go back to your corner and continue connecting dots.

It isn't innovation -- I've seen it used before -- ON FACEBOOK. When I had to reset my password it showed me a pic in my gallery and asked me to identify the person. Immediately I thought it was pretty stupid, because ANY of my relatives -- OR ACQUAINTANCES could have guessed who they were!!! Course, there were additional steps, but still, definitely something you can't use alone. And how irritating would it be to have to do a multi-step security thing?

I'd put my trust in written signature security instead -- but Apple doesn't use a stylus. Only problem with written signature (assuming it recognises the gesture speed etc etc perfectly) is that some people have really short, easy-to-copy signatures where acceleration and speed of the strokes won't do much for authentication.

----------

Rectal Scanning its the future.

Retinal, Retinal scanning damn it......

Now you mention it, I might be onto something here.... hmmm <Chin Scratch>

Watching too much Monsters VS Aliens, aren't you?

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Get in an accident, get disfigured....can't use your phone :(

Get in an accident, lose your fingers... can't type in your password :(

..that can happen too.

It isn't innovation -- I've seen it used before.

This is the same argument people bring against AirPlay. Bla, bla, it isn't innovative - DLNA existed way before it... not willing to acknowledge that no regular consumer knew of it or how to use it. Finding a way of making technology, or some aspect of technology, easy to use and/or easily accessible to mass market is innovation in and of itself.

Last edited:

darkslayer13

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
steal friends phone --> need face to unlock phone --> use facebook photo of friend in front of camera --> unlocked.

soooooooo why is face recognition secure again?

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
steal friends phone --> need face to unlock phone --> use facebook photo of friend in front of camera --> unlocked.

This is one of the main issues I have with the very idea of "face unlock" concept.

Another thing is that faces aren't super unique and unchanging like fingerprints or retinas. People change hairstyles, put on makeup, shave/change facial hair styles, etc.. Unless the technology is perfected to the point where the device will properly recognize its owner regardless of changed style of the owner, or ambient lighting conditions, this won't be able to serve as a primary unlock mechanism.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
What about finger prints? Seems logical with a touchscreen abd trackpads on laptops.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Keep copying those android features apple you got this!

Patently Apple makes it a bit hard to see the date when a patent they mention has been filed, but the "Face Unlock" patent that Apple has applied for has been filed in Q1 of 2011 - while the Patent of Google is from September 2011.

M

Mr.damien

The only way to make it secure is to use 2 camera instead of one. This way you can see if it's a 3D face or a picture.

When Apple will come with a bullet proof solution, Android community will say it was first on android, despite it doesn't work just like usual and that this feature is just now hidden because so easy to break.

Just like Microsoft said they were first with their "tactile" tablet and phone.

It's funny to see how close are now microsoft and linux community. They are just the same, using the same arguments all the time.

Lately, the iPad mini is just the last example. All are saying that Apple did copy the Android world because it's a smaller tablet, but the facts are, they got the good form factors that all androids tablets misses for years on this market. Now LG and Samsung announces 8" tablet like Apple.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK

Did you actually read the article?
The use of a camera is not mentioned once, in this case the user is required to recognise a picture, not the other way round.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Nobody else thinks its sad that something as basic as this is being patented? Its a cute idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody somewhere was having the exact same idea every day. It seems ludicrous to assign exclusive rights to one party for 20 years.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
S3 (at least) has had facial-recognition unlocking from launch.

It works quite a bit better than I had expected.

If you read the article, that is the kind of facial recognition that can be fooled by a photo of you, taken with a phone camera. So I take a photo of you with my camera, grab your phone, and then unlock it by holding my phone showing your picture to the camera of your phone. Or your ex-girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband who still has a photo of you can unlock your phone. Same with your current girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband.

So the question: How secure do you want it to be? I'd suggest a bit more security than just comparing the photo, for example to use the video camera to make sure the face is not motionless (at least they would now need a video of you to unlock your phone). Next, unlock only "safe" features. Like making cheap phone calls, but for long distance calls you need a password.

Nobody else thinks its sad that something as basic as this is being patented? Its a cute idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody somewhere was having the exact same idea every day. It seems ludicrous to assign exclusive rights to one party for 20 years.

The ideas I mentioned above surely should be impossible to patent, because they are obvious (if it takes me two minutes to come up with this then it is obvious), and already published (I just published it!!!). The implementation might involve something clever that can be patented, but then another implementation can do the same things doing something different.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

Does anyone here ever actually read ANY part of the articles they comment on?

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Is it just me, or has reading-comprehension taken a nosedive recently? Sheesh people, this feature is NOT the same thing as the "face unlocking" in Android! In Android, the phone looks at your face with the camera and unlocks the device. In this system the device shows you pictures of people in your photo-library and asks you to identify them.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Passwords are totally annoying and the complex ones are unnecessary for most people. Anything to simplify or eliminate passwords would be appreciated.

People have to deal with so many complex passwords now that they keep them written down nearby. This is actually less safe than just remembering one simple password.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The unlock screen should be a mini-game. Say.. "collect the balls in the correct order to unlock your phone". It might not help you unlock your device any quicker, but at least it'd be fun! :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is it just me, or has reading-comprehension taken a nosedive recently? Sheesh people, this feature is NOT the same thing as the "face unlocking" in Android! In Android, the phone looks at your face with the camera and unlocks the device. In this system the device shows you pictures of people in your photo-library and asks you to identify them.
This. People barely read a headline and then jump in to comment right away (clearly not even really knowing what the article is about, let alone even looking at any of the comments that have already been made). :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.