Apple Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Screen Ghosting on Retina MacBook Pros

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Law360 reports (via 9to5Mac) that a Retina MacBook Pro owner has launched a would-be class action lawsuit against Apple, alleging that the widely reported ghosting issues are the result of defective LG screens and that Apple has been "tricking" customers into buying these by not distinguishing them from models sold with Samsung screens.

Ghost images of previous content have been widely demonstrated on some Retina MacBook Pros, as in the above video. A support thread on on the issue currently runs to over 7000 posts across almost 500 pages. Apple uses displays manufactured by both Samsung and LG in its Retina laptops, and it has been strongly indicated that the issue affects mostly machines with LG screens. Apple has so far made no statement on the issue beyond a support document in which it describes "image persistence" as a characteristic of IPS displays and gives some advice on minimizing the effects.

The lawsuit has been filed in a Federal court in California by Retina MacBook Pro owner Beau Hodges, who says that Apple should have disclosed the issue and allowed customers to choose between machines with LG and Samsung screens.
    A class action lawsuit is one in which an individual or small number of people file a claim representing a larger group of individuals in similar circumstances.

Article Link: Apple Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Screen Ghosting on Retina MacBook Pros
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Can't say that I'm really surprised but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a Samsung screen and no problem
  3. macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2011
  4. macrumors 68000

Apr 22, 2008
    Sigh, another stupid lawsuit. Just take the thing back, I'm sure Apple will refund you.

Everyone wants a piece of the Apple pie these days.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2011
    apple needs samsung but i don't know if samsung needs apple anymore
  6. macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2012
    Read about this yesterday. Finally! A shame it doesn't have to do with the displays themselves. Just Apple not acknowledging it.
  7. macrumors newbie

Mar 12, 2013
    This always sucked. It's like rolling a dice. I rememeber buying an iMac and praying that i get a better LCD panel, because there was one better PVA and another TN panel.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Let me guess...this is somehow not Apple's fault... right? It has to be someone else's fault!
  9. macrumors 6502

May 30, 2012
    Manhattan, New York
    I have a LG panel in my 15" rMBP & I am running 100% flawless... How come?
  10. macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    How so, they are selling faulty equipment. Not sure why so many people give Apple a pass on these type of things.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2008
    I do hope this action will help Apple refrain from utilizing poor quality panels from LG for the succeeding generation of Macs.
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2012
    You must not have read the entire article. Apple does not acknowledge this as a problem. And will gladly show you the door out.
  13. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm sure Apple will just end up refunding him his cost. Waste of time lawsuits are a staple of the American way of law!
  14. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2007
    A lawsuit I finally agree with!

I don't have a rMBP, but if I were to buy one and end up with an LG display, I'd exchange it. But then I might end up with another LG display. It's clearly a defect, and isn't acceptable on a machine where the selling point is the display.

Unfortunately Apple supply chain demand means Apple has to use the crappy LG display.
  15. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2007
    Knowing the flaws of the LG screens, Apple should stop using them.
  16. macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2008
    Its only when you are on 100% brightness and on a static screen for a goes away pretty quickly when you go to another website/app.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2007
    Not true. Apple stores will replace your ghosted screen for free.
  18. macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2012
    Doesn't affect them all. But predominantly the LG display. I was having screen flicker issues with mine. Got a Samsung replacement. No issues in over 3 months.
  19. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2006
    Nope, you have I think 2 weeks to return anything for any reason right?
  20. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
  21. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2006
    Is that true? Why is there such a long thread about it? Are that many people doing that? Good it sounds like the whole, hold the iPhone a certain way you have problems thing...
  22. macrumors 6502a

szw-mapple fan

Jul 28, 2012
    Sue? really? Just go to Apple and get a refund. Is it always like this in America?:eek:
  23. macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    How do I know what screen my 2012 retina MacBook is using.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    Terra Australis
    Legally, Apple should indicate externally what brand panel is used so customer's are informed. Its morally wrong to hide this information on the basis they are all identical - picture says a thousand words. Apple should only use Samsung for displays as they are better and don't have the yellow tinge that all LG panels seem to have. Im surprised Apple still buy from LG, considering this issue, and the same issue on the iMac's. Only Samsung should be used, and anyone that has an LG display should get it swapped for a Samsung model instantly - no questions asked.
  25. macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005