Apple Faces Increasing Cyber Threats, McAfee Says

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 30, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: Apple Software
    Link: Apple Faces Increasing Cyber Threats, McAfee Says
    Description:: McAfee Inc. expects Apple¡¯s iPhone, geolocation services such as Foursquare, and mobile devices to be the target of malware attacks in 2011. The computer security company also predicts attackers targeting shortened URL services and internet TV platforms as well as a rise in politically motivated hacktivisim, as more groups are expected to repeat the WikiLeaks example.

¡°We¡¯ve seen significant advancements in device and social network adoption, placing a bulls-eye on the platforms and services users are embracing the most. These platforms and services have become very popular in a short amount of time, and we¡¯re already seeing a significant increase in vulnerabilities, attacks and data loss,¡± said Vincent Weafer, senior vice president of McAfee Labs.

McAfee Labs Threat Predictions for 2011:

* Apple: No longer flying under the radar

McAfee said the popularity of iPads and iPhones, combined with the lack of user understanding of proper security for these devices, will increase the risk for data and identity exposure, and will make Apple botnets and Trojans a common occurrence.

Posted on
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 3, 2010
  3. macrumors member

Jul 16, 2009
    NO McAfee

Yes, this sticky obtrusive and uninstallable piece of junk that constantly plagues people in the PC world (not to mention it radically slows your machine down. I recently installed Flash player on the PC side and without my permission McAffe was installed....ARGGGHH. Now they want to infect the Mac world....PLEASE NO!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2009
    At least be honest with the headline:

McAfee Hopes 2011 Brings Reason for iUsers to own McAfeee Products
  5. macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2008
    Washington, DC
    It makes sense. iProducts are increasingly becoming ubiquitous, therefore they will become more profitable for malware developers to attack. It's not a McAfee sales pitch so much as it's stating the obvious. Same with Android.
  6. macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2007
    Midwest America.
    That's all I need... A cart load of false positives and spending 45-minutes scanning my iPhone before I can accept a call...

7. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    No, it is the same nonsense that Microsoft and its apologists have been saying for the past decade. It isn't any truer today than it was a decade ago.
  8. macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    McAfee Labs Threat Predictions for 2010:

McAfee Labs Threat Predictions for 2009:

McAfee Labs Threat Predictions for 2008:

McAfee Labs Threat Predictions for 2007:

&c. &c.
  9. macrumors 68000

Jul 2, 2010
    Hurf. There was a checkbox for installing a trial version. You didn't uncheck it.

Maybe this is why you're using OSX then. It makes choices for you. Not yours, but you know...
  10. macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2010
    Away from you
    Obviously McAfee has a vested interest is spewing "fear FUD" such as this. :rolleyes:

Last month I finally ditched that buggy junk from my Win7 installs. Got tired of having to reinstall it all the time. The auto-renewal scheme was an annoying little booby-trap as well. Good riddance.
  11. macrumors regular

Dec 3, 2010
  12. macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2010
    Not really necessary, yet. Forums here will inform most of us when something really nasty gets out there if ever, listen to the users not a campain.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    No, it doesn't. The only way your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch is vulnerable to these things is if YOU jailbreak it. Even then, the number of jail broken IOS devices is and will remain too small a target to go after. This is why Apple has a walled garden, and why the Android model is destined to follow the PC down the virus/botnet hell hole. It's also why AV vendors would prefer that you bought Android or Windows mobile.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Nov 26, 2003
    Just like the choice was made for you by Adobe to install completely unrelated software if the user doesn't happen to catch the checkbox. Yeah, that's so much better.
  15. KiraDouji, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011

macrumors member

Sep 6, 2007
    First loop of the Bible Belt D:

Since when is someone missing a checkbox dependent on what Operating System they use? Pretty sure remembering to uncheck everything during an install is a pain in the butt across the board.

So tired of the Us vs Them polarization in everything...
  16. macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2004
    McAfee Marketing Department at work yet again.

I bet McAfee also creates the disease and the cure.

Just like the song, "Misery" (by Soul Asylum)

McAfee is struggling for business and it's a shame they use fear tactics to get dumb people to buy their products.

"Misery" (by Soul Asylum)(

They say misery loves company
    We could start a company
    And make misery, Frustrated Incorporated
    I know just what you need
    I might just have the thing
    I know what you'd pay to see

Put me out of my misery
    I'd do it for you, Would you do it for me?
    We will always be busy, making misery

We could build a factory, and make misery
    We'll create the cure, we made the disease
    Frustrated Incorporated, Frustrated Incorporated

I know just what you need
    I might just have the thing
    I know what you'd pay to feel

Put me out of my misery
    Suicide kings and drama queens
    Forever after happily making misery

Did you satisfy your greed, get what you need
    Was it only envy, so empty

Frustrated incorporated...

I'd do it for you, would you do it for me?
  17. macrumors 6502

Blue Fox

Apr 13, 2009
    Wasn't there supposedly a "virus" going around for the Mac on Facebook a couple months ago? And it was supposed to be all doom and gloom for the Mac (so I've read in the forums from doom-sayers)......but, I haven't heard anything about it since, because nothing happened......this is pretty much the same thing.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2010
    Gatineau, PQ, Canada
    Sad, but true :(

(And I don't feel the need to argue or debate or say more in this thread to justify this obvious fact.)
  19. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    Yes. Absolutely. A closed filesystem where you're only able to download anything significant through a moderated app store is going to be riddled with viruses. :rolleyes:
  20. macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Sad, but false.

Wishing will not make it so.
  21. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    Too bad you don't feel the need to learn the facts either. Just where are these viruses going to come from? How will they get executed/installed? Answer: They will not come because they can't execute. That's what a walled garden is: protection from the wild.
  22. Supa_Fly, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I'm sorry but for 10 YEARS McAfee, Symantec, and other smaller players have tried to push this junk on the LARGEST distributed smartphone platform in the world - EVEN today its THE LARGEST (though dwindling VERY fast) - S60 Symbian. Although that platform has its own issues with security the amount of security holes in it is STILL minimal: address book plagiarizing, taking BT control to browse file system (which was patched by Nokia VERY quickly), and a few others.

Point being that if the OS is secure enough to begin with and patches & updates are made & distributed QUICKLY & TIMELY by Apple or Google for their respective platforms then its quite possible this is just FUD at ground roots.

I do recall a particular Camera app in the AppStore that was VERY VERY popular just 3months ago that took address book information and served it out to a server! This got through your "moderated app store" with complete ease and remained available for quite a few months before being pulled (both the store and during sync as well).
  23. macrumors 65816

Aug 17, 2007
    i think it's pretty common knowledge that Apple devices will be targeted more by virus making idiots in the future as they become more popular. i also think a company like McAfee has an interests in creating a panic so they can sell more software.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    Targeting is one thing. Successfully attacking is a completely different animal. They've been targeting OS X since it came out a decade ago. Successful attacks range from barely a blip on the radar to nonexistent, depending on how you define success. There's no reason to believe that attacks on IOS will be half as successful as the pitiful attacks on OS X.
  25. macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    As instances of such things occur more and more often, I imagine Apple will tighten their look on the app store, putting each submission and new update through rigours tests to find such things.

And that aside... imagine that camera app being available for Android. It will never get removed and will be freely available to install.