Apple faces iPod patent dispute

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bartelby, Dec 8, 2005.

1. bartelby macrumors Core

From the BBC News Site

Apple could be in for a bruising legal fight with rival Creative over the technology used in iPod music players.

Creative boss Sim Wong Hoo has told the BBC he plans to "pursue aggressively" a US patent it owns on a system used to navigate music on digital players.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4510044.stm

If this is somewhere else please delete.

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

geeze. . . want to talk about copyright infringement / patents. . .. those creative players look SOOOOOO much like the iPod, its crazy. It looks like they took an apple, and replaced the scroll wheel with a straight line. pretty shady if you ask me.

3. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I believe this dispute has been going on for some time now. They are disputing that they "patented" it first....sorta like how all apple won against microsoft was the patent for their trash can and nothing else and that's why microsoft is where they are today...i think...

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I like this part of the article:

Gee, ya think? Creative's basically a flop, always running behind the iPod and usually several others trying to keep it's fat butt moving. They need to think about how to beat Apple in technology if that's what they're so worried about, not how to out-litigate them.

jW

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't think Creative seriously believes that they can force Apple to abandon some of the iPod's critical design features - they are are merely after publicity and a healthy settlement or royalties. And you can bet that Apple will fight it tooth and nail, so this will take a while to resolve.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's sad to see the Creative CEO spending his whole press conference taking swipes at Apple and making legal threats when he should be concentrating on the release of his company's new player.

If his company's product can't shine on it's own merits then perhaps it's a sign that they should rethink it before making the investment to bring it to market.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

This seems to be the nature of Singapore unfortunately. I've been in that country every year for the past 11 years (my partner is Malaysian) IMO they would have to be the most racist and very anti western asian nation I've visited. I've had shop assistants mock my accent openly and comment to their counter part "... stupid white man." for instance.

Regardless I doubt Creative has a ...er... creative bone in their bodies. It's more likely they ripped off the design from Apple directly. Having a patent first doesn't necessarily mean they invented the concept. It just means they got their hands on it and applied for the patent first.

8. electronboy macrumors 6502

the whole copyright process in the US has got to change. there are lots of companies that were granted patents just for concepts or hardware/software or operating system IDEAS that were never implemented.

Then someone innovates and designs an actual product and the lawyers all start salivating at the mouth and they can't wait to start a law suit. if mr. bush wants reform in the legal system he can start there.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Yay, they got a patent in August!!!

Oh wait. The iPod software was first used when? 2001? MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

10. destroyboredom macrumors 6502