Apple Faces Patent Lawsuit Over Siri in China

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Shanghai Daily reports that Apple is facing a lawsuit in China over Siri, with a company there claiming that Siri infringes upon its patent rights.
    While the Xiaoi bot began life as a chat bot for MSN and similar networks, it has since migrated to a number of platforms including Android and iOS, and has evolved to look quite similar to Siri, although the iOS version of the app [App Store] uses a different style for the microphone icon and button.

[​IMG]
    Android version of Xiaoi (left) vs. iOS version (center and right)
    AFP reports that Zhi Zhen, which has over 100 million users of Xiaoi, is seeking a halt to sales of infringing products, as well as reserving the right to seek compensation in the future.

Article Link: Apple Faces Patent Lawsuit Over Siri in China

2. macrumors regular

Another gold digging expedition

3. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Getting sued by its ripoff.. Ridiculous.

4. macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... My laptop looks "very similar" to a MBP. I think I'll sue.

Everyone wants a byte of the Apple pie.

5. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

With FOXCONN posting record profits from Apple business I don't think they will be too worried.

6. macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sigh - Another day, another lawsuit. I am not saying that Zhi Zhen don't have a legitimate case, but it just appears that because Apple have deep pockets that everyone wants a piece.

MacLegalRumours.com.

Sometimes I wish these rumours stay off the front page until something more substantive is proven, rather than just X decides to sue Apple over feature Y.

7. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

Lol everyone should just jump on board and sue Apple.

8. macrumors regular

Matt-M

The look and behavior in that video is so exactly like Siri, there are really only two possibilities:

1) Apple stole it outright from Zhi Zhen.

2) Zhi Zhen patented the basic concept in 2004, but stole the current look and feel from Apple once Siri shipped.

The discovery process should be interesting!

(P.S., my money is on #2 above)

9. macrumors 68000

Shanghai No. 1 Intermediate People's Court? Lol. I bet the decision will be No. 1 A+.

10. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

And Apple files quite a few lawsuits too.

Considering how many markets and technical areas Apple has a finger in these days, it probably isn't surprising they're involved in more suits than companies focused in one area.

11. macrumors 6502

Wait, China recognizes patent/copyright laws? Since when?

12. macrumors 6502a

I was just about to say the same thing. Maybe only when it benefits them. No surprise, of course.

13. macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that that's the updated version ... And the first version didn't work and look like that ... I think that apple should win in this patent lawsuit

14. macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

This is amazing! The Chinese tend to be the most blatant copyright breakers themselves and yet they have the guts to sue others. I wish all the automotive companies sued them for copying designs. That would've been an interesting day.

15. macrumors 601

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    What, 14 posts and no...
    -"Die Shanghai Zhi Zhen Internet Technology. Die" or
    -"Apple should just buy Shanghai Zhi Zhen Internet Technology" or
    -someone making some conspiracy connection that Samsung is probably behind this.

Of course, there is already the usual pro-Apple posts making this company out to be another idea thief ignoring that they had a patent on this technology BEFORE there was an iPhone gen 1. I know that many of us think that only Apple can innovate anything and that the time something is actually patented only matters when Apple is the one who actually patented something first but other companies can innovate and time to the patent office benefits whichever company gets there first. Apple "innovating" something later doesn't automatically make something created years ago some theft of Apple innovation (they would have needed to time travel into the future to see the Siri "innovation" to do that).

Get over yourselves. Sometimes other companies invent good things before Apple. If they build a Siri-like thing first, they deserve their rewards just as if Apple built some feature first and someone copies them later. Why is the patent system stupid & outdated when it works against Apple but celebrated when it works for Apple?

16. macrumors 6502a

Apple should just buy China

/s

17. macrumors 6502a

Exactly but this company actually copied the look of Siri. It's all fine and dandy that they thought of this and patented it before Apple but then they actually copied Apple's Siri UI. It's blame on both parts.

18. macrumors member

dixido

This is just ridiculous. The Chinese haven't invented anything since fireworks!

19. macrumors 68020

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Apple actually bought Siri. Remember, there was an app on the App store named Siri, and Apple bought the company.

20. macrumors 6502

Anyone in China claiming that they had some intellectual property stolen is laughable. Culturally, they are taught from birth that there is no such thing as intellectual property rights, and that everything is community property. They are taught that copying is a good thing.

I had a long discussion with some colleagues in China on this subject when we were trying to have them work on content that required a Certificate of Originality, and they had difficulty understanding the basic concept of intellectual property rights.

My guess is that in this case what they asserting ownership of is something they had previously stolen.

21. macrumors 68030

needfx

Siri, locate your brothers & sisters and terminate them

22. macrumors member

another thought, on your thought

U.S. Patents (and others) don't mean anything in China. Or Korea. Why is it that we are surprised when Asian companies steal technology. They are RIP OFF ARTISTS! We give them a lot of our tech (to make for us) and then act surprised when they rip us of. Hilarious.

Lastly, I got news for ya. There are NO original ideas, at any one time there are many people thinking about viable solutions or products, it's just who get's them to market 1st, and who secures them with patents the best.

Plus, in this industry with especially non hardware patents, there are going to be a lot of cross technologies. Patents for tech will be hard to prove in the near future if we are to really have innovative application of said tech.

23. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

Just disable Siri in China, done.

24. macrumors 68040

BasicGreatGuy

No need to when you are living off other people's royalties.

25. macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure Siri wasn't around in 2006.