Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
They've actually improved from last year, the other companies got better...

I think your assessment is closer to reality. It's that Apple has keep their consistency, but the others are obviously kicking it up a notch.

What I see is that most companies can improve, especially since our customer experience has to do with people. Apple does have room for improvement, just like everyone else, in some areas they are better and in some areas they are just a good/bad as everyone else.

Sometimes the improvements we want, can't happen overnight, which is frustrating, but that's the truth. As companies become successful and bigger, in order to make a change where their customers see a noticeable difference, it takes time since the changes are technological based, OR they have to create new processes, which takes time to develop and implement.

I guess the only thing we can do is send the feedback to http://www.apple.com/feedback and hope for the best.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
While the other companies definitely did gain some ground, I think we're still in "too close to call" territory. These kinds of surveys usually have a margin of error of a few percent, so Apple might be anywhere from #2 to #5.

It's clear, though, that they lost the comfortable lead they used to have.

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I'd say my (like most people's) only real interaction with Apple is when I go to the Apple store.

I used to like it, but it has become such a soul destroying experience going to a store and trying to get hold of someone or going in for an appointment and standing around waiting for it that I don't even go near the place unless I have no other option.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Somehow, this survey doesn't surprise me. While my experience with Apple on-line shopping has been very good, I can't say the same about my in-store "experience".

I don't much care how electronics work, I just want them to work as advertised.

When I have gone into the store, seeking out the "Geniuses", I have left pretty disappointed at their lack of knowledge - so much so, that I haven't sought out the Geniuses for like 2 years. Now I just go into a store, fumble around with the new stuff on my own, make the purchase (IF THEY HAVE THE STOCK), and leave.

Last edited:

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Steve was right when he said that people don't know what they want until you show them, but he could have gone further. Once people get what they want, few of them will actually make an effort to learn how to use what they purchased. This is why Apple's ratings are lower– because people project their inadequacies in product knowledge upon Apple, rather than themselves. Consumers blame Apple for the problems they have with their devices, when 95% (a trumped up percentage) of a user's problems arise from incomplete/incorrect product/technical knowledge. Don't blame Apple; make an effort to learn.

This.

My mom was about to have her iPhone exchanged out because it stopped ringing when someone called when the phone went into standby. At some point she turned on "do not disturb" and didn't know it and knew nothing of what it does and can do. She thought it was broken, but instead a simple setting switch from the control center from the bottom swipe.

While this is all 100% true? All technology companies face similar issues, so should be reflected in everyone's scores.

Renzatic

Suspended
Dude. Windows 8 sucks. Who wouldn't question statistics that say Microsoft is doing well?

Because it's only on Apple messageboards where Microsoft is a dying company that isn't relevant anymore, and Android is a difficult to use OS that doesn't work half the time.

Out in the real world, Apple's just one of many high quality brands, and there are people out there who absolutely love their iPhone/Lumia/Galaxy phones.

...and are apparently beside themselves with pure, unmitigated joy over Amazon.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Steve was right when he said that people don't know what they want until you show them, but he could have gone further. Once people get what they want, few of them will actually make an effort to learn how to use what they purchased. This is why Apple's ratings are lower– because people project their inadequacies in product knowledge upon Apple, rather than themselves. Consumers blame Apple for the problems they have with their devices, when 95% (a trumped up percentage) of a user's problems arise from incomplete/incorrect product/technical knowledge. Don't blame Apple; make an effort to learn.

I fundamentally disagree. The first rule of sales is: the customer is always right.

If you need in-depth knowledge in advance of the product in order to use it, it's a poor product.

It may be unpopular to say, but I agree with this rating. Apple has fallen well behind the standards they set for themselves under SJ. There is definitely a new feeling about this new Apple, and it's not a positive change.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Does anyone actually know how this was actually measured then? Aside from Amazon, Apple are probably the best company in the world for this sort of thing imo

The questions that the consumers were surveyed on (according to WSJ) are very subjective:
How enjoyable were they to do business with?
How easy were they to do business with?
How effective were they at meeting your needs?
I think it would depend a lot on the customer's expectations... when I need to do business with Apple, I expect good service. However, my expectation from Microsoft is generally low, I'd be probably be happy if they answered the phone.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Apple lost too many time/resources in destroying iOS6 UX design and then fixing iOS7 UX design.

Thats why Apple could not made that jump in consumer experience. Remember that not all users are happy with iOS7, but all users are happy with the new Kindle.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Apple improved, just not as suddenly as the competitors. But also keep in mind that Apple has kept this incredibly consistent, while competitors are all over the place.

The real test will be to see if they can keep this up and actually continue to improve. Anyone can have a good quarter, few can maintain consistency for year after year like Amazon and Apple have.

I have a feeling we will see some great improvements once Ahrendts is in her new role. Especially with her overseeing online as well, where Apple could stand to improve the most.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
They did say iOS 7 was going to be polarising. Unfortunately, the rest of the tech companies released awesomeness while Apple was busy 'polarising'. I feel both Android, Windows Phone and even BBOS10 are much better than iOS.

Really, what was this awesomeness that was put out by the other companies?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Dude. Windows 8 sucks. Who wouldn't question statistics that say Microsoft is doing well?

Because Windows 8.x currently has more users than the entire user base of OS X. Since 8.1 its only been here I've seen negative reaction to Windows 8, which is understandable since most users use OS X here.

In reality, Microsoft are doing fine and many people are adjusting to their newer interface just fine.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I have yet to dive into any Amazon-branded products, but I sure love the customer service I get from Amazon and I'm not surprised they would be at the top of any chart like this.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The lagging supply of new products is honestly killing their image. I can't recall seeing as many complaint threads (across the web not just here) about people waiting for new phones, ipads, and even some newly released computers within the past year.

There's no such lagging supply of new products. Apple has been churning them out at least as fast as they did during the Jobs era. "Journalists" and bloggers, however, have created a fiction that Jobs turned the world upside down every 6 months. Not true: Apple does revolution by evolution, incrementally, most years. Always has. (Remember: most "journalists" are selling ads by way of "entertainment" more that fact, these days. They want a constant stream of excitement and drama. What they want is very different from what makes a successful company or great products.)

Similarly, the media bends over backwards to grade non-Apple products on a curve, while seizing on any small Apple non-story as a "crisis" or "-gate." It's called creating a narrative.

Some of those "journalists" might like to think they are killing Apple's image with their fictions. But they're making only a small dent. The general buying public just knows their iPad works great.

Glad this thread has held true to common MR protocol:

-Article praising Apple as the best: GO APPLE!!!!

-Article suggesting Apple being beat by competition: question the accuracy of the statistics.

The truth is what the truth is. Anyone should ALWAYS question stories that appear to go against observable reality.

There's a weird trend in journalism today where reporting/opinion/analysis is supposedly "balanced" if it gives equal weight to both "truth" and "fiction." As if those two "sides" are equal. But that's an unskeptical, unintelligent approach.

You will sometimes find mindless zealotry from Apple fans, and (more often) from Apple haters. But if that's all you see, then you are overlooking the REAL reasons to see Apple as a success and a provider of unmatched products.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The lagging supply of new products is honestly killing their image. I can't recall seeing as many complaint threads (across the web not just here) about people waiting for new phones, ipads, and even some newly released computers within the past year.

Agreed. I thought it was much better when iPads came out in March, MacBooks in June, and desktop and iPhones in September/October.

It kept something fresh all year. Now, most products come out all at once in the fall. People can't afford that and get bored easily throughout the the rest of the year.

Renzatic

Suspended
Thats why Apple could not made that jump in consumer experience. Remember that not all users are happy with iOS7, but all users are happy with the new Kindle.

I don't think it's iOS7 alone that's the problem with Apple's very slight, almost minuscule loss in consumer satisfaction among its competitors. When you get right down to it, iOS7 is mostly a cosmetic change. It still performs and acts roughly the same as it did before.

I think Apple's biggest problem is that the competition is has finally reached parity with Apple on the UX front, and is starting to offer more in comparison. When you can get a phone that's just as snazzy and easy to use as an iPhone, has more handy features, and gives you more relative bang for the buck overall, well...it makes Apple look a little weak against the competition.

They've still got the best style and the major portion of market mindshare, but if Apple doesn't up their game, that won't last for long.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Really, what was this awesomeness that was put out by the other companies?

Software that runs on a large variety of hardware with much better backwards compatibility and customisation/flexibility for the user. In a single word, choice, but not at the expense of usability.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"...but if Apple doesn't up their game, that won't last for long."

Particularly at Apple's price points!

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston

Is this a serious post?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.