Apple files for trademarks on iWork, ProBand and Pods

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 2A Batterie, Aug 17, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Oh geez, this would file under iJustCrappedMyPants in my book.
    http://www.macobserver.com/columns/devilsadvocate/2004/20030817b.shtml

I think the story speaks for itself, but this just got me so pumped... I want to go dropkick my grandma now! I hope this stuff will be released at MacWorld in January. I'm going to go throw some chinese stars and maybe fly a little bit now.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

iWork = AppleWorks 7
    ZeroConf = already exists actually, it's the "official" name of Rendezvous
    ProBand = :confused: Got me
    Pods = I see a 60GB Toshiba 1.8 inch hard drive... :D

*scrolls down the article* D'OH! :(

3. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

most likely, as the article stated, ProBand is a the "pro" version of garageband. I hope this is so, because I certainly have used Garageband in pro situations. This may be a ProTools killer. Notice how the Pods description included transmitting and manipulating audio . Apple has commented about not wanting an AM/FM receiver, but does this indicate a change? And manipulating... does this include recorded capabilities. I know you can already, but at a substantially lower quality. Maybe this can compare to an older MD audio recorded (they were great), or maybe this is some new device for pro audio users that lets them take their ProBand files with them and play and edit them.

4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Wouldn't ProBand directly compete with Soundtrack? Anything that's more Pro than GarageBand, but less pro than Soundtrack is going to be pretty mediocre.

5. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

That is what I was thinking.

Mike

6. justinshiding macrumors member

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Soundtrack and GaragBand are based mainly in loops... like Acid, except for Mac. I'm thinking ProBand will be a more powerful tool that has loops and similar features of GB and ST (except far more powerful) along with far superior audio recording, midi editing, and mixing tools. Think of ProTools and Reason and Live wrapped into one interface, except far easier to use, more poweful, and less CPU hungry.

8. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah. Hardly inspiring. Why not iWorks?

Wonder if it's going to be built upon OpenOffice code? It'd be good if they could give a little support to those guys. Eitherway, a damn-right-hell-yes for a new AppleWorks. Now bundle it with Powerbooks already!

9. starcrossed macrumors regular

I think ProBand might step on the heels of Apple-owned Logic and Logic Express from Emagic. Why and most importantly how they can have another music product that isn't something we already have in GarageBand, Soundtrack, Logic, or Logic Express beats me. Hopefully iWork turns out to be the new AppleWorks suite cause I've been hoping to have a OfficeX suite that features integration of Word Processing, Address Book, Mail, Presentation, and such that is less than for pros. I have Office X 04, but alot of the features are way above my needs, I love the simplicity of the Apple iApps but want more integration between them. I think, this could be Apple's niche in the market without stepping on the heels of Microsoft. Office 2004 is for Pros, iWorks is for the rest of us. :cool:

10. starcrossed macrumors regular

I was just now thinking Apple might have just filed the trademark for POD, because they just don't want anyone else to come up with a device that is an iPod coypcat, and include POD in its name. Apple simply wants to have a good hold on the name POD.

11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

When the first rumors of a new Appleworks/office suite first came out, wasn't "iWork" or "iWorks" mentioned?

12. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I dunno... these might just go the way of iPhone, Junkyard, and Framistan.

Apple trademarks a whole lot of ideas that it doesn't use, so I wouldn't look too much into any of those names... yet. ;)

Also, Apple's pushed away from the "i" trend (Safari, GarageBand, and Keynote, for example). "iWorks" sounds about as weak as "iBrowse" (although not quite that bad). I'd expect an office app to have a more creative and exciting name.

I personally think that AppleWorks needs to die a fast and painful death. It's a mediocre office suite based on a horribly outdated mediocre office suite (ClarisWorks). Apple should simply design a totally new office app - al la Keynote - to replace AppleWorks (and I think they will).

13. newjack1121 macrumors newbie

14. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if iWork might be a trimmed down project management app...

15. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

I think it would be more of a competitor to Logic. Perhaps they're phasing out Logic. Ever since Apple bought eMagic, I always wondered how Apple was going to reconcile Logic's difficult UI with Apple's generally excellent UI. Maybe they're grafting a new UI onto Logic's engine, so we'll get a great UI on top of Logic's impressive features. This would pretty much rock.

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If it fully intergrated with all the iLife apps, iCal, Addressbook etc then I would be interested in using it.

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

wtf i thought zeroconf was already trademarked ...or something along those lines..
    at least an ietf working group or whatever..

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How about none of those? iWork sounds like "I Work".... a play on words, like Apple naming their product iSight to sound like "eye sight", or MS making an office product like "Microsoft Works" that also implies that a Microsoft product actually works. :p

Just call it iProcrastinate. It applies to many more people.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

The App I want to see them add to iLife is like the private software that exists now that allows you to use a camera to scan your books, cds, dvds etc, pull back the images and metadata off the net and dbase your collection Very cool