Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
If Apple hadn't ticked so many people off dinking around with the white iPhone for what, 8 months??? ...this kind of thing wouldn't happen. But yeah, sue a kid for picking up your slack, Apple. ***** lawyers...

Apple don't OWE you a white cellphone. You don't have a right to a white iPhone, unless you build it yourself. Judging from comments like this, I don't think you're smart enough.

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
Some people.......

To those of you who are saying,
"..... Apple is wrong for going after a teenager..."
".....poor kid...."
".....I hope they go after all companies who produce iPhone parts..."
Etc...

1. Apple HAD to do this, it's part of defending your brand, legally. If they didn't, it would set a really bad, legal precedence that could further harm and dilute their brand.

2. Please don't think that the punishment put forth in the suit is set in stone. There are settlements to be had; how would you feel if they settled on just giving up the profits he made? I'm sure that's on the table.

3. This kid did not produce anything; purportedly, he received these from a foxcom employee, this is theft on both ends of that coin.

4. Really, the white iPhone would not exist if it wasn't for this kid? You're mad at apple for dangling the white iPhone like a carrot..... Grow up, it's called patience. You're probably the same people who would have cried the sky is falling if the white iPhone had any sort of manufacturing defect.

It's not even about "theft is theft", "do the crime, pay the time" or anything else like that (although those are good reasons), it's about what a large company needs to do legally to protect their brand. It has nothing to do with the age of the individual that committed the crime or the fact that, as a minor, his parents are legally held responsible. It's about protecting your company, all the people who work for it and all the suppliers who are involved.

I suspect, foxcom may be replaced sometime soon, there have been quite a few mess-ups.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Cheffy Dave has the right idea. Yes he was only a teenager but he knew what he was doing. If he had made $130,000 selling crack I'm sure you wouldn't be saying 'he's only a teenager'.

+1 Not to mention isn't it better to get life lessons like this out of the way before he can be tried as an adult? I think it is...

If he were to have done this as an adult he could be looking at some serious jail time. I'm no law expert but I frequently watch court trials and there are many times where people who commit crimes like this sadly end up with more jail time than violent criminals.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Personally, I think Apple shouldn't have settled - they should have crushed the kid and his family and put them out on the street.

I seem to recall a certain Apple employee... he might be some higher up now I wouldn't know, that was involved in the production of a certain box a few years ago. This box enabled certain users to... how shall we say, get a service for free that one would ordinarily pay for. Now I cannot remember the Apple employee's name... it's on the tip of the tongue. If anyone could help me out here... drawing a blank, Steve Ballmer maybe? No, he's Microsoft. Steve Gates? No, that's not it. Drawing a blank here, someone please help me out. ;)

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I work with Chinese manufacturers every day. If the materials produced are patented, the factory is not allowed to reproduce them for anyone else except the patent holder and cannot sell the parts.

It's a stupid kid that made a profit from illegally obtained, patented parts and Apple is going to make an example out of him to prevent anyone else from doing it in the future.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
If you read the article, he has to forfit ALL profits as well as pay a penalty:cool:

forfeit

Douche Move of the Century.

Douche move? What is YOUR illegal business?

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

Women. Children. None were spared the master's wrath.

None WAS spared. Please get an education.

Apple is getting to big for it's britches. The fad will be passing within another 2 yrs, the bubble will burst. And apple will be remembered for what it is ... a really good marketing company.

hopefully the whole hacker crowd goes after apple for this petty crap and shuts them down like they did to sony

hacker crowd? More criminal behavior that WE have to support with the high prices for our electronics.

You know, if Apple hadn't created the demand and then dropped the ball on the white iPhone, this wouldn't have ever come up. Lawsuits are completely unnecessary in this case.

TOTAL Bull!

Sorry but anyone saying leave the kid alone, or Apple is too Big Brother/Big Business either needs to get their head on straight or grow up or both. Anything of the sort just makes you sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

AMEN!

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
All of you who defend Apple for protecting their trademark; I'm not saying you're wrong but I hope you yourselves don't engage in or condone illegal file sharing, I see alot of parables in this.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
This is stupid, Apple is stupid :p, I'm sorry but Apple is a huge company, and its not like they are not making good money, suing a teenager & parents is not the way to go =/, I could only imagine how hard it'll be on the parents and the teenager, I don't know how much Apple is suing for, but they won't be able to pay, they'll likely be out on the street?

Honestly who sues a teenager? this person is not an adult yet, not to mention the money they made the family likely already spent..

Why do you think they make good money? Maybe something to do with protecting their IP, making good business decisions, ensuring high quality of their products?

Why should we ignore him just because he's a teenager? Staggeringly naive. He's not going to jail, his life is not over. But he'll think damned hard before striking up business relationships with criminals and fencing stolen property again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I seem to recall a certain Apple employee... he might be some higher up now I wouldn't know, that was involved in the production of a certain box a few years ago. This box enabled certain users to... how shall we say, get a service for free that one would ordinarily pay for. Now I cannot remember the Apple employee's name... it's on the tip of the tongue. If anyone could help me out here... drawing a blank, Steve Ballmer maybe? No, he's Microsoft. Steve Gates? No, that's not it. Drawing a blank here, someone please help me out. ;)

Getting free phone service is not even close to being the same thing as tarnishing a company's reputation.

Did Woz damage the phone company's ability to attract new customers with his trick? No.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
Apple is getting to big for it's britches. The fad will be passing within another 2 yrs, the bubble will burst. And apple will be remembered for what it is ... a really good marketing company.

hopefully the whole hacker crowd goes after apple for this petty crap and shuts them down like they did to sony

I never understand why people equate Apple with a "great/good marketing company". Remember, the hype that surrounds much of Apple's products is not primarily instigated by Apple itself but rather by its fans and also the fact that it makes a lot of revolutionary moves and that its products work for the most part.

Tech companies that actually do a lot more marketing are like RIM (look at their Playbook hype), Microsoft (look at its Zune announcements and Windows announcements), HP, Acer, etc.

Apple by far does very little to hype up its products.

I think a lot of people, yourself included, is conflating popularity of products and popularity of a company with hype. Those things don't mean the same. Popularity does not necessarily come through hype.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Actually maybe the kid is the next Steve Jobs. He took the first step and was a genius.

Exactly. He was smart, enterprising, shady. He infiltrated the Apple supply chain. Steve Jobs should give him a red lightsaber, and make the kid follow him around calling him master as he chokes the light out of interns.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
This kid gets what he deserves. For all you guys coming down on Apple, he was STEALING from them. They did go easy on this kid.

How could he find a contact in China to do this?

Why does he deserve it? Teenagers make mistakes, he's not an adult, not to mention he only made a profit of $130,000? How much does Apple make? I mean this had little or no effect on Apple, as a punishment what should have been done is he should have been taken to a juvenile camp for teenagers as punishment..

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
They were not conversion kits, they were original parts owned by Apple and stolen by this kid. They were probably intended to be destroyed because they were defective and having them on the market would damage Apple's reputation.

This is no different than if broken iPhones were taken off the assembly line, shipped to this kid, then sold by him.

Theft is theft.

Okay, so where are the police with criminal charges? If theft is theft that is not a civil matter, but a criminal one.

thisday

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Wow. Thats a great move. Thank you Apple for going agaist this criminal. By the way, file a lawsuit against Woz for buying parts from him. Now that is all good again, lets bash Lodsys for going against poor poor developers.
The one thing that makes me angry, more than using Windows, is the Apple fanboys. Apple farts they smell mint.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Sigh, there are always fanboys who back up Apple no matter what happens =/, just annoying..

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
But it is not theft, he bought it from the manufacturer. This is the same thing businesses that fix iPhones do, but the items were straight from foxconn.

1. Foxconn has no right selling these parts, so even if you buy them from Foxconn, they are still stolen goods.

2. He didn't buy from Foxconn. He bought from a Foxconn employee. Most likely now a Foxconn ex-employee.

Okay, so where are the police with criminal charges? If theft is theft that is not a civil matter, but a criminal one.

Difficult to prosecute, since the actual crime happened in China. Apple would have to go to the police in China, which then would have to ask for an extradition, and worst case he would end up in jail in China. On the other hand, Chinese police probably have higher priorities. If someone stole 100 iPads from an Apple Store in Germany, then sold them to an American who takes them in two suitcases to New York and sells them, Apple in the USA would have a hard time getting him convicted. However, the factory employee who stole the items could be in trouble.

Last edited:

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
So if this teenager was fencing a stereo that someone had stolen from your living room, you'd let him off because he's a teenager? Don't be a dick.

Let me tell you - if I ever find the guy that stole my motorcycle last year (unlikely), I don't care HOW old he is. He's in serious trouble, legal or otherwise. I don't see why this guy was doing anything other than fencing stolen goods, and I'd be amazed if Apple didn't go after him. He's lucky they look ready to settle.

It's called baseball bat justice.:D

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Is that a brick in his shorts?

Simply a very successful scare tactic by Apple.

I'm sure Apple legal was going to have a field day with the Lams. The instant suit retraction was probably the work of Apple execs. These fellas don't want people to think they can get away with theft of both intellectual and physical properties, but they don't want to sue a teenager either. This scared the kid enough that he'll think twice before doing something like that again, and Apple probably walked away with a name or two at the FoxConn plant to put in the unemployment line.

Not to mention the swift hand of Asian family justice all we Asian kids grew up with.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Apple should be going after foxconn. They are the bigger criminals in all this.

I don't believe Foxconn did anything wrong, they need to go after the guy who was stealing the parts (i.e. the guy who was actually taking parts from Foxconn).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Apple would have to complain to make this happen. They decided to go as easy as they could on the kid and do the minimum needed to stop him.

Amazing how people are still critisizing Apple for being mean even though they're being as gentle as they possibly can.

Sigh, there are always fanboys who back up Apple no matter what happens =/, just annoying..

Like this guy. So, what? I should be mad at Apple that they were as nice as possible? Is that what you're telling me?

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm not saying that the boy shouldn't be punished, but suing is the not the way to go, what should've happened is for his crime he should've been sent to juvenile camp for kids, thats generally what happens when Teenagers commit crimes..

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I have to side with Apple on this, I doubt they required the kid and his parents to pay back any more than what they made from the kits, I think Apple just wants to keep people from trying to do this kind of thing again. If the kid somehow made the parts himself, then I would have something against Apple's actions, but to obtain them illegally is not an activity the kid should be participating in anyway.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Why does he deserve it? Teenagers make mistakes, he's not an adult, not to mention he only made a profit of $130,000? How much does Apple make? I mean this had little or no effect on Apple, as a punishment what should have been done is he should have been taken to a juvenile camp for teenagers as punishment..

Um... that's not how the law works.

You need a deterrent for others from doing this again. You need the punishment to fit the crime, not the damage done to someone else. If I steal £1m from someone with £2m in the bank, it's no more serious a crime than stealing it from someone with £200m. I still stole £1m. This guy stole, or was part of a racket that stole, Apple's property and sold it for a profit. Again, I don;t think you'd be quite so quick to forgive the 'teenager' if he stole your car, or your TV, or your macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.