Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I agree with this but then I think about Donald Trump supporters and get nervous...

Yeah while the democratic process is the correct forum for these kind of decision, I don't really have much faith that the correct decision will be reached. There aren't enough people who understand the ramifications of fiddling with encryption or back doors and too many who either don't care, or believe the ends justify the means.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Why is it only 'American' corporations supporting this stance?

Apple are very much playing this as some sort of PR stunt as well to advertise they are going to make uncrackable devices, they are on a marketing stint for sales.
But I have also read they do not have the full support of the American public, some accusing them of supporting terrorism.

I am pretty certain where this will all end up, but you carry on your wave of people power.

It's meaningless in the rest of the world anyway as I believe each country has different laws, pretty sure in the UK Cook would have been out in jail by now. So it is an interesting insight into American law.

Last edited:

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
In this country you don't even know anymore what's constitutional and what is not. SMH!

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
If apple folds all the sudden , and this turns out to be a PR stunt , I'll be very disappointed . I hope they go all the way with this.

I think its sad on Apple's Part. Why? All Apple needs to do is have the FBI sign a contract stating only the specific iPhone will be broke open and the Cracking Software will be removed and deleted forever. This is beyond privacy and more about marketing for future Apple products. EOM

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
The proverbial shot heard around the digital world?

Either way, here we go. The only question I have for everyone:

Buttered popcorn, or nachos? Because this is going to be good. :p

BL.
You don't bring popcorn to a nacho fight!

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
I think its sad on Apple's Part. Why? All Apple needs to do is have the FBI sign a contract stating only the specific iPhone will be broke open and the Cracking Software will be removed and deleted forever. This is beyond privacy and more about marketing for future Apple products. EOM

That is not an option; if they let the court order stand it will set legal precedent and the FBI or any other law enforcement agency or government agency will be able to demand the same treatment.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

You realize there are already 12 more phones they are asking for the same actions on, right? And those are only the phone we've found out about between the original ruling and Apple's filing.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The FBI has no authority to enter such a contract. What you are looking for is a "law" created by Congress.

Incidentally, that's what Apple is asking for as well.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
Go Apple, GO!!!! :D Hump..... I meant [Trump] doesn't have clue as to what he's talking about..... his head is empty. I was wondering IF {Apple} could allowed a "backdoor" to that particular phone, only..........????? Maybe not.....

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
The proverbial shot heard around the digital world?

Either way, here we go. The only question I have for everyone:

Buttered popcorn, or nachos? Because this is going to be good. :p

BL.

Nachos. I've had too much popcorn watching this thing unfold and evolve :p also been craving Mexican ( or semi Mexican ) grub lately lol

DAMN! Apple is serious about this.

As well they should be. Also mildly surprised some of these issues haven't been brought up sooner.

Not too long ago, the public and law-makers around the country urged Apple to secure its phones so they can't be used anymore in case they get stolen.
Now, some of the same law-makers somehow want a way around the protections erected specifically at their behest...

Not sure what Steve Jobs would do - he stayed out of politics as much as he could.
But one thing is sure - if somebody could sway a court or a jury, he could.

Though, to be fair, Tim also did very well in front of that Senate committee a while ago.

Well if nothing else the Feds have shown their prowess at doing 180s :rolleyes:

As well they should be. Extremely important case. An epic and watershed moment in our history.

Yep

Tim drops the mic and walks off the stage.

lol yesss! *chants of Cook Cook Cook Cook in the Audience or Tim Tim Tim Tim *

Great to see this.
Have been browsing some of the articles and news reports popping up and the variation in claim, detail, and importance is astounding. Most are treating it as entertainment, not news.
Most posters here are actually far more factual and thoughtful than what is predominately being reported here in the US.
Wow :confused:o_O

You'd be surprised. Also it's possible to be entertained, entertaining and insightful all at once;) #FoodForThought :apple:

Reactions: AdonisSMU and dk001

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
Why is it only 'American' corporations supporting this stance?

Apple are very much playing this as some sort of PR stunt as well to advertise they are going to make uncrackable devices, they are on a marketing stint for sales.
But I have also read they do not have the full support of the American public, some accusing them of supporting terrorism.

I am pretty certain where this will all end up, but you carry on your wave of people power.

It's meaningless in the rest of the world anyway as I believe each country has different laws, pretty sure in the UK Cook would have been out in jail by now. So it is an interesting insight into American law.
Under your argument the exact opposite it true. The US govt is the one supporting terrorism, since the law allows "known terrorists" to buy all the guns they want to commit terrorist acts on American soil.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Well, let's list them out...
Apple says FBI's demand for new code would violate its First and Fifth Amendment rights, as it is the equivalent of compelled speech and is contrary to Apple's core principles.
First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Compelling someone to speak is not free speech. The compelling of anyone to do anything is an abridgement of their freedom, as one of the keystones of freedom to not do something.

Fifth Amendment:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Intellectual Property is property, and transferring it takes two entities to agree to that, a buyer and a seller. If there is not a seller that is willing, then it is theft. That theft is legitimized when compelled by the State.

I'd add in there:
Ninth Amendment:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Just because it ain't in the Constitution doesn't mean you don't have that right. This also goes to the "Corporations are people" hot button that gets brought up. I can see how that applies to this case, and others. The decision to incorporate (I have had an S-Corp) shouldn't mean that corporation is now an agent of the State. Freedoms, folks.

And the 10th Amendment:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
The whole Interstate Commerce issue (and International Commerce) may play in here, as Apple does do trade across state lines, but I'm more hard-core on this. I think that the Federal Government should only have jurisdiction for those transactions, and not the whole value stream. (i.e When bringing in parts from China to California, only those parts brought in need to meet US Laws, not the whole company. I need to think this more thoroughly, though. I may have made constructs in my mind that aren't true.)

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
As I've mentioned before, if Apple win Congress will draft legislation to limit the level of security available to all devices. READ:

Passcode back doors - Check
No end to end encryption - Check
No mobile VPN - Check
On demand location monitoring - Check
Now hardware [de |en]cryption support - Check

I'm going for cheddar cheese + Carmel popcorn. It's called "Chicago Mix". And a nice Bourbon.
They have tried that and failed. That is why the DOJ has resorted to this nonsense.

Outlawing encryption has become a non starter for legislatures

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
well we know what Trump would choose
"I'm against Apple! They're mean!"
(at Apple) "I've talked with Tim Cook, and they're very nice."
(after finding out that Apple Employees support a Hillary or Cruz) "Those Apple people are insane, and I'll shut them down!"
(Later that week) "Now here's the thing... I have heard from various people at Apple that they eat babies. They fry them up in the cafeteria, and that building they're making is a giant solar baby cooker! They need to be shut down, and I'll make them pay for it!"
(On a late night show, pulling out his iPhone) "you know, this iPhone is excellent, first rate, and I think Apple is a great company, the best there is, and they need to be able to make their products and use the laws of the US to get an advantage. When I am president, there will be an Apple store in every town in China and Mexico, and I'll make them pay for it!"

Reactions: Wondercow

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
If you give power to the FBI does that is going to stop any terrorist act? Not at all.

That is the excuse for another agenda. If Apple give in that would be like a broken damn because from then on, the FBI would feel entitled to hack everything else... would that resolve any war or terrorism? NO WAY!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.