Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cloned in China reports on an article [Google translation] from Chinese site PCPOP claiming that Apple partner Foxconn has begun manufacturing WAPI-capable iPhones for distribution in China. The Chinese WLAN Authentication and Privacy Infrastructure (WAPI) standard is similar to the global Wi-Fi standard.

The iPhone launched in China at the end of October, but did not offer Wi-Fi-like connectivity due to legal restrictions imposed by the Chinese government. The restrictions were lifted prior to the iPhone's launch, but not before Apple had already produced a significant quantity of the WAPI-less models. At the time of the iPhone's launch there, China Unicom representatives had expressed hope that revised models offering WAPI could be available by the end of 2009.

Article Link: Apple Finally Preparing to Launch WAPI-Capable iPhone in China?

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
F**k China's regime which thinks it knows better than the rest of the world.

Hey China, guess what? You don't know ****!

Big companies should just boycott China, hopefully the result of the recent Google mess will make other companies think twice about bending over for China... Apple just looks stupid for even considering the Chinese market.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
While China's regulations and communism influence are a huge annoyance to a company (like Apple or Google), let's not forget their population and the market opportunity there.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
F**k China's regime which thinks it knows better than the rest of the world.

Hey China, guess what? You don't know ****!

Big companies should just boycott China, hopefully the result of the recent Google mess will make other companies think twice about bending over for China... Apple just looks stupid for even considering the Chinese market.

Don't forget, manufacturing stuff in China IS cheaper than the US and some other countries so I guess that more than makes up for it for these companies.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Wi-Fi is bring the world to an end. The more places that support it, the less of a chance we have for survival.

jordanh91

macrumors member
Wi-Fi is bring the world to an end. The more places that support it, the less of a chance we have for survival.

Um, what? How is an electromagnetic signal going to "bring the world to an end"??? Oh I get it, haha.

Now for some relevant content... Since China's government loosened their restriction on wifi, why is Apple making a WAPI compliant iPhone if the rumors are true? It's a bit too hard to believe, and thus I call BS on the rumors. :)

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Equal access to the internet should be an undeniable human right.
No government should block/censor any individual or group of individuals' access to the internet.

I look favorably upon Google and Apple, and I am MUCH more likely to buy their products, knowing that they support this. :)

hopefully the result of the recent Google mess will make other companies think twice about bending over for China
I've read articles that've said the Chinese government is (secretly) afraid of Google leaving China. Think about how much we use Google in the Americas and Europe. Now think of how it would hinder an entire society/country if all of a sudden Google disappeared tomorrow. It would take you longer to find things on the internet (including university researchers), and collectively, it would slow down the productivity of our society. The Chinese govt knows this and is being very cautious about bluffing versus actually letting Google leave. I think Google did the right thing - just open it up and hope the Chinese govt allows it. If they the Chinese govt stops Google, then they are just f---ing themselves for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.