Apple Financing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by livingfortoday, Feb 28, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I was wondering if anybody had tried financing through Apple to buy their Mac? Do they offer competitive rates? I'm considering buying a PowerMac in the next couple of months, and there's no way I can afford it all at once. Any bad experiences with Apple and their financing? Any experiences at all?!?

Thanks ahead of time!

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You and I missed the chance at a "boxed" unit at CompUSA for 0% for 36 months. Takle time and look for offers like this. The PM can be upgraded by the user both in RAM and HDD very easily.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I used Apple financing a couple years ago on a $2000 purchase through the Apple Store. It is actually through MBNA and at the time it was 6 months same as cash. I opted to make 6 equal payments so I never paid any interest but the rate would have went up to 14.99% or something like that. It makes me cringe to have to pay such high rates so I avoid it if humanly possible.

But, to answer your question, I was happy with my experience and I would do it again.

4. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

I'll stick with the saving up cash for non essential items myself, but if you must, use one of the 0% deals for whatever ammount of time.

Be careful with those though, many of them make you pay back interest if you go over the 0% term.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

That should be ALL of the banks (AFIK). They are betting that you don't make it. Years (early 90's) ago Best Buy had to pay their card company (bank) $250 for each computer system they sold that was paid off before the term was due. At the time, and still - they could only hope they made $250 a systems sold.

6. .jessica. macrumors newbie

.jessica.

If you can pay it off before the 0% goes away. Otherwise you're paying more for your pbook than you should. I did not finance for this purpose. I buy most of what I can with cash because I like discounts, not overages.
    However, I've dealt with the company that does the financing and they're decent.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My experience with MBNA is different. You get lots of "sales" calls. They try to push extra services. I will never have another MBNA charge card if I can help it.