Apple firewall

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blvdeast, Feb 6, 2004.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2003
    Cliffside Park, NJ
    How strong is Panther's firewall? I was attcked on a PC before and was paranoid with norton's firewall. But since Pather comes with a firewall, how strong is it? Anybody recomend and other firewall besides Panther's?
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Panther's firewall

Panther's firewall is highly configurable - if you know how to get at the options (requires use of the Terminal or a GUI application like Bricklayer that provides access to the hidden options). Therefore, Panther's firewall can be as strong as you want it to be as long as you know how to configure it. I use the defaults on my Mac, though. Usually those are good enough for most situations. Some network/internet games may require additional configuration of the firewall to allow communication to occur.
  3. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I'm pretty sure I read about a TechTV stunt where they pitted OSX and XP's firewalls. They gave out the IPs on air and waited. Within 5 minutes, I read, the XP computer was bluescreening while the OSX mac was fine. I believe they opened some utility and showed that people were trying to get in, but were denied. I don't have it on, but I do here it's pretty good in terms of a software firewire. Though if your data is critical enough, you should have a hardware based firewire (i.e if you're running a business or working on the CIA's hovercar).