Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Recent comments to Prudential analysts indicate that Apple will be focusing on their existing product lines, rather than breaking into any "new categories":
In the meantime, Apple said it "doesn’t expect to broadly proliferate into any new categories for a while," and will instead focus on its four existing product categories in Macs, iPods, iPhone and Apple TV.

This may dash some hopes of those hoping that Apple would build the iPhone technologies into a tablet form factor. Even so, Apple could easily cross this technology into future iPods and stay true to this statement.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Saying they will focus on Macs doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility of introducing new Macs... Possibly including ultra portables or tablets.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
i was going to say the same thing - if they do release a tablet, it'll be under the Mac product line surely, or it'll be a type of Mac Book

still, it makes sense that they'd want to concentrate and grow the AppleTV and iPhone products before tackling other product lines

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
so an "iPhone-less" video iPod is not necessarily out of the question, then. :D At least, that's what I'd like to see, albeit with a much larger storage capacity. I currently have a 30GB 5G iPod and would love to replace it with either a 30GB iPhone or 30GB "iPhone-less" video iPod :D

:apple: HawaiiMacAddict

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Thank g-d, keep focussing on core technologies and utilize those to further promote the company. Then, when appropriate evaluate new arenas, that's how to keep the balance sheets looking pretty and the stock where/above its current mark.

Guirgi

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
I say...

Good news! I mirror Leo Laporte's concerns that Apple might be moving more into consumer electronics and away from the "computer" aspect of things. It'd be disasterous for Apple to spread itself too then. Repeat after me: "Quality over quantity." Repeat as needed.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
so an "iPhone-less" video iPod is not necessarily out of the question, then. :D At least, that's what I'd like to see, albeit with a much larger storage capacity. I currently have a 30GB 5G iPod and would love to replace it with either a 30GB iPhone or 30GB "iPhone-less" video iPod :D

:apple: HawaiiMacAddict

IMO there is a 100% chance of Apple releasing a widescreen touch iPod this year, but they will not do so until after the early adopters have all gone with the iPhone (no reason to compete with your newest flagship product). I'd guess we'll see the iPod in October or November in time for holiday sales.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
A new user interface for a computer is not a new product line in the sense that a phone, a cordless drill or a toaster is.

I think Prudential's statement was more focused on identifying Apple's strategic direction in broad product categories, relative to their branding/positioning objectives as reflected by the name change from Apple Computer, Inc. to Apple, Inc.

A multitouch computer is still a computer. Apple, Inc. still makes computers.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
IMO there is a 100% chance of Apple releasing a widescreen touch iPod this year, but they will not do so until after the early adopters have all gone with the iPhone (no reason to compete with your newest flagship product). I'd guess we'll see the iPod in October or November in time for holiday sales.

I hope so. I am just tired of waiting. I wish last october we had the widescreen ipod.
Anyway, I agree. It's going to happen this year. Now October seems so far away. The current iPod it's just so outdate after they announce the iPhone. I look forward to come by summer. we'll see.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I think this just means "Don't expect Apple to start making toasters and microwaves anytime soon". They'll probably roll in the Multi Touch into their current computer lines, maybe not as a tablet, but something just as cool, knowing Apple.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
"Focusing on..." for how long? Until their next surprise announcement, of course. I don't think this report tells us much beyond "no big announcements for a month or two."

I doubt Apple is out of new ideas yet.

eggstone

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
touchscreen iMac

Now everyone believes that touchscreen iPod(without phone) is coming sooner or later, and then...

Touchscreen iMacs! it'll still be under the category of Mac... :)

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
"Focusing on..." for how long? Until their next surprise announcement, of course. I don't think this report tells us much beyond "no big announcements for a month or two."

I doubt Apple is out of new ideas yet.

Apple will have to release updates soon otherwise people are going to get tired of waiting (the non-Mac worshipers) and just go another direction. Now is a great time for Apple to release something. It's hard to pick up momentum from zero.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
I hope they don't release touch screen computers. I'm obsessive compulsive about people touching computer screens. Like when they point at things on the screen and actually touch it and make contact, I totally freak out. God forbid someone touches my MBP or my LCD screen, I will kick their buttocks and then never allow them near my computer again. :mad:

Eh, but if it was a touch screen I guess I'd have to get used to it, or take pills.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
It says a lot about :apple:TV that Apple thinks it is one of their four major lines.

I am absolutely convinced that it is going to be a direct competitor to cable and satellite and that this time next year we'll be talking about market share in the cable/satellite/:apple:TV market.

Prediction: Later this year, Apple will broadcast an event that will be available live (or short-delayed) on iTunes and :apple:TV. It will probably be a music event. Season pass prices will drop on returning fall shows.

At Macworld '08 in January, Apple will announce (1) PPV movies in two tiers: $4.99 for new releases and $3.99 for catalog titles, and (2) a subscription package that will allow you to download 50 episodes a month of any TV shows in the store for $29.99 a month and $1.99 for each additional title.

After Macworld, we'll start seeing more deals for live programming like award shows, news, and sports programming.

Cover your nuts, Comcast. You're about to get kicked in the sack.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I'm obsessive compulsive about people touching computer screens. Like when they point at things on the screen and actually touch it and make contact

Hahaha!! I'm exactly the same. I mean *why* do they have to actually touch it?
:)

The four main lines that Apple are now working with still leave a lot of flexibility for some surprises like touch screen/tablets though. Personally, I'm thinking that wide/touchscreen iPod will appear sooner rather than later.

RodC

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Recent comments to Prudential analysts indicate that Apple will be focusing on their existing product lines, rather than breaking into any "new categories":

This may dash some hopes of those hoping that Apple would build the iPhone technologies into a tablet form factor. Even so, Apple could easily cross this technology into future iPods and stay true to this statement.

Why? Apple said it will focus on existing "product lines" NOT "products." There is nothing to say a tablet wouldn't fit into the MacBook line. Personally I don't see Apple making a tablet for other reasons, namely no real market. Maybe a subnote convertible, but I can't see a straight tablet.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Well this certainly doesn't rule out new-fangled macs to make us drool over. They can release as many advanced laptops, desktops, iPods and peripheral items and add better functionality to them without even creating new categories in their product lines. I'm glad they're staying focused on their present machinery, because broadening too much can have terribly negative effects on their most beloved products, namely the macs. But I guess this means I won't be getting that Apple iToaster I was hoping for. :(

And Porchland's statement is my wish. I'd love to be able to rent movies on iTunes. It would certainly give the ATV a big shot in the arm, especially when more studios jump on board, which would seriously give NetFlix and BlockBuster a run for its money. I just wish the studios would stop being such dillholes and lower the prices of their product. I can't even burn it to disc, why should I pay the same price as the DVD?

But with this expansion of iTunes people will be clamoring more for some kind of compromise for interoperability with other players. Apple could always partner up with the likes of Creative and Sandisk to make a deal, though I don't see that happening.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I hope they don't release touch screen computers. I'm obsessive compulsive about people touching computer screens. Like when they point at things on the screen and actually touch it and make contact, I totally freak out. God forbid someone touches my MBP or my LCD screen, I will kick their buttocks and then never allow them near my computer again. :mad:

Eh, but if it was a touch screen I guess I'd have to get used to it, or take pills.
It amazes me to this day that some people haven't developed the motor skills nor the cognitive ability to point at something without touching it with their grimy mitts. Pills, ahoy.

On topic, I find it interesting that they consider the :apple:tv to be an entire product line. The iPhone I can see as a "line", like the Macs and the iPods, but the :apple:tv? I wonder if they will be developing things we haven't even thought of yet, like how they started with one 5 gig iPod and built out. What could they add/subtract/miniaturize?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.