Apple for Finance Major?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PARL0PH0NE, May 24, 2005.

1. PARL0PH0NE macrumors newbie

Well, I am starting school this Fall at the Penn State Smeal School of Business. While reading up on my intended Finance major I learned that the topic was very computer app focused. Unfortuneately I have not been able to find out what apps I am expected to use. Does anyone know if I will be able to use a Mac as a Finance major? Or do I have to start using windows?

I am hoping Excel will be the extent of my worries

Any input is appreciated

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

When I was in B-school we mostly (99%) used excel.

3. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Excel is hardly a worry; I can attest to the fact that Office 2004 (mac) uses the exact same file formats as its older windows cousins.

-RS

4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

90% Word and Excel. But then you might have times were a teacher will make you use a windows only program.

For instance, in school I have to use MS Visio, MS Project, Linear Programming programs for queing theory and such, and maybe a few things that come on the CD of a textbook.

That said, its all just a few minutes in the lab if you don't have windows (I recommend doing your work in a lab instead of at home) and school work shouldn't at any point affect what you want to use as a personal computer.

5. PARL0PH0NE thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I was actually hoping on using AppleWorks... Does it have a capable spreadsheet?

6. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

you might want to learn how to use Access, Oh BTW watch out for BA 302 its nasty

If you need another program, it will be loaded on the computer labs' computers

7. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Are you kidding .... After b-school you want to enter work force I assume. Excel skills ARE key for a financial guy.