Apple for Newbies

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dricci, Nov 15, 2002.

1. dricci macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2001
    I've decided to write up some pointers for people who are not familier with Apple and the Mac. Please add to/correct the list if necessary.

Apple is the company, Macintosh is a product of the company. There is no company called "Mac", nor an OS called Apple.

Apple's "i" Products are supposed to have a lowercase letter first, and then a capital. No spaces, no dashes, no capitalization first. The following are NOT acceptable:
    I Chat
    The correct ways are:

You generally pronounce "X" as "Ten". However, You do not refer to the OS version as X.2.2. Instead, use Mac OS X 10.2.2 (The "X" becomes silent in that case).

The proper name for a Macintosh's "mother board" is "logic board."

The background picture you see on your desktop is just that - A Desktop/Background Picture. It is not wallpaper. When was the last time you wallpapered your desk?

The colored "beach ball" is not a beachball - It's a representation of a hard disc platter (the thing that spins in your hard disk drive). The "beach ball" is generally black and white, and is devided in 4 sections inside the circle. You can still see this in some classic applications, and poor port jobs from OS 9 (such as IE and AOL).
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    This kinda makes the Mac community look like it's made up of a bunch of a$$'s where you have to do everything perfectly or not be accepted.
    It really doesn't matter how you refer to your OS version, OS X, OS 10, OSX.2, OS 10.2; it makes no difference, we all know what your talking about.
    You can call your Mac whatever the hell you like - your Mac, your Apple, your Macintosh, your AppleMac, it really doesn't matter newbies!
    "Not acceptable"? Are you kidding me?
    Here, this'll get your knickers in a twist... i-Pod! I'm in trouble :rolleyes:
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    While i TOTALLY agree with edesignuk, i think it was a kind gesture by dricci to help people look more mac savvy than they are :p
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Indeed, its a nice gesture to help 'brake in' newbie mac users to 'our' world of thinking different ;), it's just that how it was put made us, as I allready said, look like a bunch of uptight....
  5. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I personally refer to the update as X.2.2 but I guess I'll have to go back and check my Apple Manuel, I mean my Mac manuel on that....:rolleyes:

Hey thanks for clearing these things up, but do we really have to take ourselves so seriously? If it's commonly refered to as a beach ball then who the hell cares what it really is supposed to represent.
  6. MisterBlack macrumors member

Nov 4, 2002
    I personally think it looks like a colorful spinning umbrella, seen from the top. So if i call it my "spinny umbrella thing", everyone will know what i'm talking about.

And, i've established that the only real rule in the world of mac lingo is that if you don't already have a mac, you are not allowed to call it a tibook.

Other than that, you can call it Susan if it makes you feel any better.
  7. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
    i can't wait until I get my i-pod in the mail, then i am planning to sync it with my ITunes
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    And will that be running on an IMac or an EMac? Let me know either way via IChat :D :p
  9. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Can someone help me out. My computer has crashed, i think it may be my motherboard. The beachball just keeps spinning. I was talking on IChat on my EMac when it happend. This guy is stupid, who cares how everyone says everything.

10. rjrufo macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    iJon, did you spell your name correctly? :D I don't know if that is acceptable in Apple language...Mac language... or whatever it's called... j/k
  11. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001

Right on.