Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its online website to announce free next-day shipping for all orders placed by 2:00 p.m. by Friday, December 23, giving last minute shoppers a chance to place orders before Christmas.

Orders placed before the December 23 cut off date will arrive in time for Christmas in most cases, but customers will need to confirm delivery times at checkout.

appleholidayshipping-800x304.jpg

Apple normally limits free next-day delivery to iPhones, with free two-day shipping on most other products, but during the holidays, Apple often offers upgraded shipping. Apple also has an online gift guide for customers who need gift ideas, recommending iPhones, iPads, Macs, and related accessories.

Customers who live near an Apple Store who are looking for last minute gifts can also get items using in-store pickup. Today's new shipping policy comes just as AirPods have begun shipping out to customers, but in-store sales are the only way to get Apple's newest accessory as online sales are sold out through January.

Article Link: Apple Offering Free Next Day Shipping for the Holidays

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
I don't know about anyone else, but to me this smells of desperation. Why would one of the richest companies in the world be giving free shipping.... unless of course sales were down. HMMMmmmmm ;)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I might go ahead and nab that refurbished Airport Extreme I've been eyeballing for the last few months. No sense in fighting crowds to pick it up at a store if I can have it sent to me.

Chuck Kostalnick

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Denver, Colorado
I don't know about anyone else, but to me this smells of desperation. Why would one of the richest companies in the world be giving free shipping.... unless of course sales were down. HMMMmmmmm ;)
Apple has done this in years past; this isn't anything unusual.

Besides, adding $30+ to each order for express shipping doesn't make fiscal sense if the company was so concerned with hitting their target.

Reactions: tkukoc and macTW

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Sales are irrelevant. The fact they are giving the opportunity for Shoppers to make purchases and guarantee next day delivery. Doesn't seem something worth complaining of and it's an advantage over the crowded malls. I'll gladly take next day delivery for free.

Reactions: DynaFXD and macTW

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I might go ahead and nab that refurbished Airport Extreme I've been eyeballing for the last few months. No sense in fighting crowds to pick it up at a store if I can have it sent to me.
I use an Airport Extreme and it is amazing to use. Real easy set-up and it's got blazing fast speeds. The XFINITY-given router, over wifi, gives me about 30 down and 5 up. The Airport, with same distance from router and same internet, gives me 120 down and 15 up o_O

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I use an Airport Extreme and it is amazing to use. Real easy set-up and it's got blazing fast speeds. The XFINITY-given router, over wifi, gives me about 30 down and 5 up. The Airport, with same distance from router and same internet, gives me 120 down and 15 up o_O

Oh trust me, you don't need to sell me on it. I'm still on a 1st generation Airport Express and while it's served me well my Macbook Pro arrived today which is replacing my 2010 iMac and I'd like to make my wired Time Machine backup a wireless one.

Rickjames74

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2016

LOL giving someone desperately looking for a gift what basically amounts to an $8 discount def means the company is going down the drain.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Oh trust me, you don't need to sell me on it. I'm still on a 1st generation Airport Express and while it's served me well my Macbook Pro arrived today which is replacing my 2010 iMac and I'd like to make my wired Time Machine backup a wireless one.
I almost want to grab a second, either to give to someone in the future or if this one breaks, or I need an extended router, etc. because they're discontinued. I wonder how long software support will be for them.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Because put-near every other company in the world is also offering similar insentives to move product in the last few days of the major sales season? Seriously, what does one have to do with the other?

Reactions: 44267547

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Sales are irrelevant. The fact they are giving the opportunity for Shoppers to make purchases and guarantee next day delivery. Doesn't seem something worth complaining of and it's an advantage over the crowded malls. I'll gladly take next day delivery for free.
Me too. But I just bought a re-furbed iPad Pro. Got next day, but did not get it free. Maybe only for new items? Anyway, $19 on top of THAT purchase isn't going to cause me to lose any sleep ;-)

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Or maybe they do this every single year and just the pure fact that you are seeing this through "Apple is doomed" glasses makes this seem different

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
There has never been a better time to buy yourself some incredible Apple products. I hope a lot of people take advantage of this unique buying opportunity.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Me too. But I just bought a re-furbed iPad Pro. Got next day, but did not get it free. Maybe only for new items? Anyway, $19 on top of THAT purchase isn't going to cause me to lose any sleep ;-)

Interesting. Perhaps it does only apply to new products. That's a good question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.