Apple Front Row Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wako, Jun 6, 2006.

1. wako macrumors 65816

I was wondering with the Video in Front Row, can it use a player other than Quicktime?

I ask because Quicktime cant even play half of the videos I would like...

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I don't think so...

...the reason why is because Front Row is based off of iTunes, and iTunes utilizes Quicktime for all of it's video playback.

Sorry pal :( - unless there's some 'add-in', no, you probably can't play video using other programs through Front Row...

3. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Dammit... i perfer Media Center... atleast with WMP play any video you want, as long as you installed the proper codecs :mad:

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Its exactly the same with QuickTime, download the xvid codec whichs is what most need, there was a codec pack that like had every codec VLC did

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Once you install other codecs for Quicktime, it can handle pretty much anything. As the previeous poster said, the XVid codec is what you'll use most, so once you get that running, Quicktime will be able to handle most .avi's and whatnot as well. And once Flip4Mac becomes Universal (it's a beta now, so you could try that) you can play .wmv files as well. Quicktime'll play anything just as long as it's got the tools to!

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Well quicktime wont play .ts, video_ts, or ac3 in frontrow...and there has been no plugins that I know of that works. This kind of ruins the htpc experience. If anyone knows of any that truly works, show me!

7. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Well if you really want a Media Center there is other software and if the media software you get doesnt work with the apple remote download a program called "Remote Control" which is now "Sofa Control" it will allow you to use your apple remote with VLC

If i could find the codecs that are for quicktime that are from VLC i would post them but they do exist somewhere

8. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

can you link me? i never found a codec pack for the mac before =/

9. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

so... everyone tells me about these codecs you can install for QT but nobody knows where to get them? Interesting

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Here would be a good place to start looking....

11. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

divx mac never worked for me... and that is the only reliable one that came off of google, which I already had tried. where are these packs that i hear about but never see?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

[guide]Watch AVI Movies in Mac OS X[/guide] looks like it has a good list too...

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Lately, whenever I have a video that won't play in Quicktime, I just open up FFMPEGX, and convert the video with the default settings in FFmpegX, I don't even touch the settings.

9 times out of 10 that solves the issue, no codec needed.