Apple Fuels iWatch Rumors by Seeking Exercise Physiologist to Lead Fitness Tests

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is looking to hire an Exercise Physiologist to oversee cardiovascular fitness and energy expenditure tests at its main headquarters campus. The new position was posted to the company's job board today (via 9to5Mac).
    [​IMG]
    iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton
    The requirements of this position suggest the employee will be working on Apple's rumored fitness-focused wearable. The company has been making a strong push into the medical and fitness field with recent hires like sleep expert Roy J.E.M Raymann from Philips Research and Michael O'Reilly, M.D., former Chief Medical Officer of pulse oximetry company Masimo.

This elite team of medical researchers is presumably designing Apple's iWatch along with fashion experts like Former Yves Saint Laurent CEO Paul Deneve, who was hired last year to work under Tim Cook on a "special project". Apple's fitness band may connect to the iPhone via Healthbook, a fitness app expected to be released alongside iOS 8.

Update: Apple has removed the job listing from its site.

Article Link: Apple Fuels iWatch Rumors by Seeking Exercise Physiologist to Lead Fitness Tests

2. macrumors member

Those are some seriously cool artistic mockups.

3. macrumors 6502a

iEnvy

4. macrumors 6502a

Now that design is a lot more like what this thing should look like. anybody think its possible (or not possible) to build the battery cells directly into the straps, and have them be flexible/adjustable?

5. macrumors member

Personally getting excited about the iWatch. Don't know how many people share my opinion !

Also curious as to what Samsung will deliver later this month - my fandroid friends will have a lot to say to me that's for sure

6. musika, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

macrumors 65816

musika

I think that they're gonna blow us out of the water with this thing. Knowing Apple, they're probably putting the time and thought into all of the basics that nobody else is.

While all other companies rush their stuff to the market with the longest lists of terribly implemented features, Apple is taking their time. I mean, of course we'll have to wait and see. But I expect good things.

7. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Perhaps they could invent something that encourages people to consume less calories than they use, without the need to permanently damage their knees.

8. macrumors 6502

it's a cool mockup but they wouldn't work in actual use. You'd have to bend your arm kinda weird to actually look at the screen.

9. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

its a cool mockup.

this is a mockup of supposedly an ipad in 2009
    [​IMG]

knowing apple design language by Mr. Ive, this iwatch mockup could actually be similar to the real thing.

10. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

You're getting excited about something you know nothing about? Life just isn't doing it for you, then.

11. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Love the mock-ups. Since those type of bands are popular/accepted, if form factor can remain similar to Nike Fuelband this would be a big hit. I would probably buy it, but would honestly prefer a more watch look.

12. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

I'd rather it look like a cheap 80s Timex, aka a Pebble Steel. :p

13. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

Rumors do fuel excitement! That's what the majority of people are here for.

14. macrumors 65816

If they are just now hiring QA type positions, I would take that to mean it won't be released until next year (yes, despite Cook's comments last year). They're going to get these newly hired-s to get iWatch up to snuff in < 10 months? I doubt that.

15. Editor emeritus

longofest

16. macrumors 6502a

With all of these medical hirings/rumors I wonder if it's not a watch and just a fitness band?

17. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I really hope Apple avoids the standard watch shape and goes with something like the mockup.

18. macrumors regular

Apple , if you're reading this , PLEASE HURRY I SERIOUSLY CANT WAIT

Although it's best to skip first gen but I'll make an exception

19. macrumors member

Hahahahahahahahaha I'm sorry that I don't have a life like yours # but was just my opinion. My apologies if I have upset you in any way. I'm just a student, I don't have much to look foward to besides passing.

20. macrumors 6502a

Wow. If Apple pulls off anything close to the depicted design and functionality (based on the screens), it will be the next game changer.

I love my watch and won't replace it. But I'm lucky enough to have two wrists.
    :)

21. macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Entirely possible, the Nike Fuelband, which the above mockup takes most of it's design cues from, already incorporates the design....

Nike Fuelband teardown

[​IMG]

With this in mind, along with Apple hiring several key people from the Nike Fuelband team, I really do think we're going to see Apple's much cooler take on the Fuelband sometime soon.

22. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Like that mockup I might get a watch after 20 years of abstinence. Looks nice ! And if there is health monitoring in (inc sleep) it's a buy.

23. macrumors member

All these hires picking up pace in the last month or so, I don't think we will see the iWatch until end of the year or even until 2015.

24. macrumors 65816

musika

He's allowed to get excited for something that hasn't happened yet. Why should that bother you?

25. macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

The more I'm hearing about this lately, the more excited I get. I currently have a Fitbit Force and I really like it. I could only image what Apple will come up with.