Apple G3 OS X Class Action Settlement Bancroft v Apple Computer, Inc.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Santaduck, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

What the heck is this?

October 28 10pm PST, I see a small link on the front http://www.apple.com/ page. It's in tiny font below the graphics, and above the search window:

"G3/MAC OS X SETTLEMENT"

The link leads here:
    http://appleosx.rosenthalco.com/

I click on that link, which goes here (with a PDF version here).
    and the primary relevant part seems to be a $129 refund for G3 owners who don't use OS X (btw I can understand staying in OS 9 fully).

It reads:
    much more I haven't waded through yet.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah this is an old case but just now got solved. a group of stupid people got together and sued apple because steve jobs said way back when 3 years ago that g3 and g4 users would be the people who could use os x. well the people with first generation g3's got mad because it was sluggish and they couldnt do some cool stuff with eye candy in the gui. basically its people getting mad who thought os x would be lightning fast and work like a charm.

iJon

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I have a G3 iMac 233mhz, and jaguar is really slow, but i am hoping that panther will solve that problem for me??
    But i don't disagree with people taking jobs to court, but i just wish that apple could make a program that could atleast optimize the OS for the older computers.

4. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Panther does just that. The switch from OS 9 to OS X was sluggish. Compared to OS X, OS 9 was snappier. Panther brings back the snapiness of OS 9 into OS X (it brings back labels too. :D ) Apparently, while there is a noticeable speed increase in all machines, the *most* noticeable increase is in the older machines.

5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I really hope it will increase the speed, because i was thinking of buying it but i was scared that it would be too slow, well let me hope that it will fix the speed problem.
    Thanks for that reply

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

What the problem was about, was that Apple did not optimise OS X for Rage Pro/128 chips, so it ran very sluggish on Macs that had those chips. Apple's idea of not optimising OS X for those chips, was that it would force the owners of older Macs to upgrade, giving Apple more money.

The court case made Apple optimise OS X for those graphics chips, I think 10.1.5 was the update that included optimisations for those chips.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: Apple G3 OS X Class Action Settlement Bancroft v Apple Computer, Inc.

It looks like a refund only for people who purchased OS X. In other words, it eliminates the "no refunds no returns" policy on software.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

mind you, no OS would ever be able to speed up your G3 233 to be "fast" - if by "fast" you meant as fast as current computers. i assume what you mean by "fast" would be as "snappy" as OS 9...

if you are not a student and has to pay $130 for panther, i'd save a bit more and buy a used iBook or iMac (CRT) with faster chip?

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

agreed, the g3 233 is a great machine, but has it limits with current times. i would put a big hard drive on it and just make it an itunes server or something and buy yourself a new mac.

iJon

10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

"mind you, no OS would ever be able to speed up your G3 233 to be "fast" - if by "fast" you meant as fast as current computers. i assume what you mean by "fast" would be as "snappy" as OS 9..."

Yeah that is all i really want is the snappy OS 9, that wasn't fast but it was atleast managable.

"agreed, the g3 233 is a great machine, but has it limits with current times. i would put a big hard drive on it and just make it an itunes server or something and buy yourself a new mac."

Yeah that is my idea, I want to pimp out this Mac so that i can sell it to someone and then buy a new mac.Where i live macs are hard to come buy so i am trying to get as much as i can into this mac so that it will sell for more.

PS: thanx for the replies

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

oh, didn't see where you are from! yeah, i can see macs (and probably many other technological amenities) might be hard to come by in africa.

panther loads a lot faster and i think it's snappier than jag. the scroll bars actually keep up with the mouse now... :p

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The lawsuit is not really about what you guys think it is. I am personally in the suit because OS 10.0 (which anyone with a Beige G3 had to purchase) promised full compatibility with the Beige G3. However, you could not play DVDs, there were problems with the graphics chip being recognized by 3D apps and OS would barely run. Also there were issues with Modems and Printers that used the serial ports. And, some SCSI problems.

10.0 when you bought it, was basically useless, even though Apple said it was fully supported. That is the reason for the suit, not just that it ran slow.

13. howard macrumors 68020

howard

how big a speed increase would it be for a 700mhz ibook with full ram?

like 5-10% or 20-30%? also is the speed increase just things like moving around windows and scrolling...or in programs too? for example will it make photoshop...or an audio recording program work a little bit faster.