Apple G5 chips 'in one basket'

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 19, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

Another ex-spurt!

These 'spurts' sure gush! One can only imagine what they must really do for a living!!

3. macrumors member

By losing 32,000 sales, Apple's profits were down only $260,000!? If that were true, Apple only makes about $8 profit on the sale of an iMac.

Um, somehow I doubt that.

4. macrumors P6

wdlove

It seems that they don't have any other choice, but to go with IBM. Production is bound to increase over time. I wonder if it is anymore difficult for Apple to be patient than for the customer?

5. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Since AMD's new addition in Dresden will be using the same technology as IBM's 90nm fab, it's reasonable to believe that the two companies would at least consider second-sourcing for each other.

Also, every computer manufacturer is in essentially the same boat. intel and AMD processors are far from identical, so the same problem of having chips to stuff into a given system applies.

6. macrumors regular

Same deal everywhere

So the problem is that only IBM makes the new PPC750fx chips.

Lets review:

How many companies produce the Pentium IV or Celeron? How many companies produce the Athalon XP or Athalon 64?

In Intel's case: 1. With AMD I think it's two: AMD and IBM through their technology partnership.

So why rag on Apple for having a single supplier for the "G5" while overlooking that they still have Motorola making the "G4" for most of the lineup: eMac, iBook, PowerBook, and iMac(until the new model is released).